Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Let's talk global warming...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #101
joshpooh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Edwort you are spot on about Al Gore. Biggest Hypocrit on the planet. The man uses more energy at his mansion in Tennessee than 10 or so average families. Even when taking into consideration the size of the house he still uses way more than the average person.

That said about his Hypocracy, I still think his message has validity. I just would rather hear if from someone that practices what they preach.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #102
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If global warming is caused by mankind, then how can we account for the ice ages ??

How did all that ice melt ?

Detroit ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #103
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm so damn sick of fear mongering scare tactics: global warming, war on Terror etc..... The Jury is still out, and will be for a long time. There is no dissent that average temps are going up, however, there is no credible proof (nor may there aver be), that we have a lot to do with it.

Basic social science: A population in fear is easier to control.

Besides, aren't we all having this discussion as we sip on a albeit tasty, but alas proven poison?

Corrupt Brewers

Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 AM   #104
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

If i am not wrong a lot of bigger breweries with the equipment and capacity, recycle their C02 also (c02 from fermentation used for carbonation), so they actually aren't waisting as much as you would think

CHeers

Old 11-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #105
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775
No, because humans don't create CO2, we just filter it out and don't utilize it.
Humans create CO2. Its a byproduct of metabolizing glucose and other sugars. The whole cycle is carbon neutral (plants take in CO2, convert it to starches and sugars, we eat the plants and turn it back into CO2) and so has no impact on the overall CO2 level.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 AM   #106
jacobyhale

Recipes 

I don't think there is any real debate on the fact that we are making global warming worse. There is definitely debate on whether it is natural caused or what.....but why not help? What is helping lower the factors that pollute and disrupt the natural balance of the earth going to hurt? We can take steps to curb this without crippling our economy.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 AM   #107
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think it's the major breweries that are the biggest culprits, there are numerous other industries that contribute CO2 and greenhouse gases.
But I think people should try reduce their impact, be it small or large.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #108
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuous
This new research is kind of bunk. Once upon a time it was recorded that the medieval period had a significant warming period. The latest research ommits this warmer than usual period. Also wasnt it in the 30 and 40s they thought we were going to be starting a new ice age?

That was as recently as the late 80s. More reason to realize that these "experts" really don't have a clue and all they really want is to keep up the scare tactics so they can have more grant money.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #109
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyhale
I don't think there is any real debate on the fact that we are making global warming worse. There is definitely debate on whether it is natural caused or what.....but why not help? What is helping lower the factors that pollute and disrupt the natural balance of the earth going to hurt? We can take steps to curb this without crippling our economy.
There's no debate because there is no proof. If "man made global warming" is true. How come Mars' temperature is rising as well?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #110
mrfocus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ehh... right.

The Sun has a hot cycle of 11 years. The end of the last cycle was in 2002, that means that 2002 would have been the year where the average temperature on Earth would have been the highest since 1993. Funny how we're now in the lower part of the cycle and how the NASA (you know those guys with all the money and the best scientests on Earth, they went to the Moon and Mars...) said that this year is the worst in terms of the thickness of the Arctic Ice caps. But of course, just cause you bring a few (dozen) men to the Moon and back, you don't know sh** about using satellite imagery to calculate the volume of an ice cap. I mean, it's such hard science compared to building a full-bodied suit that can resist -280F (on the Moon) and ceramic tiles that can withstand near 3000F temperatures on reentry of the atmosphere... They know how to do all the different kinds of physics, but they can't do simple math to calculate the volume of an ice cap...

The biggest problem I have with this subject is how it is usually called. "Global warming" makes everybody think it's going to be warmer everywhere, and then people say "there's now freezing temps in Florida"... Well see, the more accurate term is "Climate change", because in some instances, the affect it will have on the temperature will be unpredictable.

I have one question though: What made America so great? Well, they were fed up with how the Brits were doing things in England and said "We're gonna make a better country". I could call that a "liberal" idea if I ever heard one. They did make a great country, but maybe too great. There's a French expression "Nombril du monde", which means "Navel of the world". Although the USA may have had a that title in the past, the "If something is there I can use it, since I'm human and no one else on Earth needs it" (think of forests transformed into farm land and cities). While that was a good technique when we were fighting for our survival, not very many people in Occident need to fight for their survival, or it's a reverse fight (being so fat you have to fight to slim down so that you don't die).

I love the anglo-saxon idea "We must discover everything" There aren't a lot of other ethnicities that have such and ideology. The only problem is, once you have discovered something, you don't even use the knowledge you've gain towards any purpose.

By the way, I'm not saying Al Gore isn't a hypocrite.

Also, for those still sceptical, you are entirely allowed you're opinion, that's fine, but please at least read these two articles from the IPCC:
Roles of the IPCC
http://www.ipcc.ch/SPM2feb07.pdf

and to understand the greenhouse effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect

On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Quick Reply