Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Let's talk auto insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
FireBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Let's talk auto insurance

I'm thinking of switching auto insurance carriers 'cause I'm trying to save a little coin, just like everyone else. I've been with Geico for...10 years or something, can't remember. I'm 34, married, neither my wife or I have EVER had an at-fault collision. Paying about $95 a month for two vehicles, one's a '02 minivan and the other is a '98 two-door.

Was just messing around on the Progressive site and they quoted me for $65 a month, so I'm thinking a little more seriously.

Anyhow, I want to hear thoughts on insurance carriers---war stories, recommendations, etc.

Off topic, Geico can't come up with a decent ad campaign to save their asses. Cavemen? Geckos? It's like reality TV...I just can't wait for it to die.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was a Geico member for years. Always treated me good, but when my rates when up significantly by moving from Hawaii to Washington, I switched to USAA.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is really cheap. Me and Crash, uh I mean SWMBO, pay almost double that monthly, but we have 2 newer cars, both on the "like to be stolen" list.

I can say, I recently re-shopped my insurance since we are in the process of a move. With my situation, Allstate was way cheaper than Progressive, Geico, USAA, and a few others. I was actually really surprised that it was significantly lower than USAA as they are typically the cheapest if you qualify for thier program (militery only).

Like you, I was just looking to save coin. Allstate has never dne me wrong in any way, so it was easy to stay with them. I would at least get a quote from them if I were you.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We've been with Geico for about the same amount of time, and have never had an issue with them regarding repairs, etc. When Lisa's car got broadsided by a deer (yep, you heard right- the deer hit her), Geico hooked us up with a Prius for three weeks and handled all the body work.

Definitely don't go with Nationwide, I'll tell you that much. When the dumb bitch rear-ended me and totally my car, Nationwide was her insurance. They took 4 weeks to issue a check and were totally non-responsive to requests for information and callbacks. Even worse, they only pay two days rental once a value is declared- which screwed me because I needed to travel for business and some pleasure in the weeks following the accident. Thankfully, my company reimbursed me for the business rental, but I still had to pay out of pocket.

Quote:
Off topic, Geico can't come up with a decent ad campaign to save their asses. Cavemen? Geckos? It's like reality TV...I just can't wait for it to die.
They didn't develop that campaign The gecko and cavemen are the creation of the Martin Agency in Richmond. I should know- I work with them

Old 08-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4630 Times on 4312 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have no real data to support this but, over the years regardless of who underwrites the insurance policy there are always increases. If you actually track the rise in cost of the policy over ten years I bet most will notice that their premiums have doubled, at the least, and that is with a clean record.

About every 3 to 5 years my wife an I get quotes from other insurance agencies for both home and auto and usually realize a savings every time.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have State Farm for both home and auto insurance, so I get a pretty significant multi-line discount. I shop around every couple years, and State Farm has always been least expensive. They've always treated me very well too.

(And I love GEICO's gecko ads!)

Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ah well, to each his own I guess.

So far $65/month at Progressive is looking pretty damn good!

Last edited by FireBrewer; 08-20-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

SWMBO and I have our car insurance through progressive and they were much cheaper than anyone else last time I priced it out. We have a 2000 4-door sedan and 2003 compact SUV and we pay right around $400 every six months...we save almost $100 by paying the 6 months in-full rather than paying each month.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well actualy I am an insurance agent. I work for AAA Mid-Atlantic. If you questions about anything insurance related I can help you out. Or I can even do a quote for you if you want. Just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Its been my experience that insurance co slowly jack your rates over a period of time. We left Allstate after 8 years cause they double our premiums with no accidents are new vehicles. In fact Allstate is the scum of the earth and I would avoid them at all costs. There is no reward for being a loyal customer. We moved from Allstate to Unitrin Direct which took us from 180 a month to 90. Unitrin slowly crept up to 140 a month. Now we are with geico at $60 a month. I think the best thing to do is shop for new insurance (home/auto) every 3 years at a maximum.

Quick Reply