Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > legal woes, screwed by passport

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1647 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Default legal woes, screwed by passport

Put briefly:

Screwed by Economy, late 2007

Put kids (3) on Passport supplemented FREE insurance, great! COBRA was going to be $1100/mo.

(Can't make more than $4100/mo to qualify for passport)

Got good COMMISION job.

Notified case worker. Said to keep in touch. Told her in June 2009 that I made more than $4100 that month. she said it would be averaged.

We decided not to re-up Passport in August 2009, because my job was going well.

Passport CALLED us 5 months ago to let us know they were going to sue us for services in June 2010. $5000.00

They refused to send any documentation and said that if we got an attorney and tried to plead innocent (to FRAUD) they would see to it that we did jail time.

So, we will be sued next month. We are scared to hire an attorney. Where do we go?

Their representative (who is no longer there) stated to us that passport had made mistakes and that we didn't owe 5K. She is no longer there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

They threatened you with jail time if you hire counsel? Go Get A Lawyer NOW!! Counter sue for 100 times what they are asking from you. This is abuse of power, plain and simple!!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would also say get an attorney ASAP.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Hire a lawyer. They are trying to bully you and in fact such a threat might even be considered extortion.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

What is passport?

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1647 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

That is what I figured, but they haven't actually served us papers yet.

They sent us a letter that basically said: Pay us the 5K as per our phone conversation (where they flatly refused to send us any kind of documentation) by Jan 30th or we will take the matter to court.

That has come and gone.

We may owe some money, but can I at least see the bill?

Our case worker was negligent in telling us that "the Income would be averaged", but we were the ones who signed the papers, we should (I guess) have known better than the case worker, but I don't even get to see a list of charges and expenses?????

*PASSPORT HEALTHCARE is a private extension of Medicaid (I think). It offers free or almost free health care for children and pregnant or nursing mothers*

Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

So they are the govt? If so, it's likely they are immune from most forms of lawsuit.. The most you can do is to probably just get them off your back.. And a lawyer to do that might end up costing you more than the 5K, and they know it...

What a sham.. You have to pay for the lawyer to defend yourself against them, and they charge you (as a taxpayer) to defend themselves against you or to go after you...

But I'd talk to a couple of them anyways... (which is like hiring your own shark to eat another shark)

In a sane world, seeing as they work for us, we should just be able to fire them.. but the monster is growing too big for that now.. We should have put it on a diet a long time ago... Que Sera..

Yeah, these are the people we want as the 'only' choice for our health care... You think the private insurance companies are bad? Wait till you are dealing with the IRS for your medical services..

FWIW, we do not have debtors prison in America.. They can not put you in jail for the debt unless you committed perjury or fraud...

I'd go to the news... Much cheaper than a lawyer...

Try FNC... Regardless of yours or anyone else's personal opinion of them, they would be the most sympathetic to your situation... As the mainstream media is largely trying to put a pretty face on govt health care and how wonderful it will be for us all, they will be less sympathetic.....

The govt doesn't like having it's dirty laundry aired to the public, so national news would be more likely to get something done... as that would occur from the top down...

This kind of crap really pisses me off...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2352 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

First, they are obligated to provide proof in writing that you did any wrong. They don't have to provide it to YOU, but they do have to provide it at some point.

They cannot threaten you with worse punishment for hiring a lawyer. You are within your rights to gain representation for yourself. This threat could be considered illegal if you can prove it happened.

You may need more than a "She said.." to get out of paying money to them, regardless. The worst thing is having someone say "It's ok, dont' worry" and taking their word for it. Unless you have proof that you were coerced into continuing the program even though you didn't qualify, you will be obligated to pay.

I'd get a lawyer NOW, and try to contact the person who handled your account to see if there is any information that she can provide to help you.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2798 Times on 2745 Posts
Likes Given: 123

The fact that they are trying to bully you means that they know they don't stand a chance if you get a lawyer. Get a lawyer. Do you have any record of the representative telling you this? Emails or anything?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's conversations like those that make me feel like I need to carry a recording device with me. Threatening you with any sort of repercussions would be considered extortion and is a 100% illegal tactic, but good luck proving they threatened you without a recording of the conversation. It's a scummy collections strategy, having faith that you won't lawyer up, and people get away with it every day. I would at least pay to talk to a lawyer for an hour and get some advice from a professional on how to proceed.

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Quick Reply