HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Learning the Guitar.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Orfy, its a long and hard slog - truth

I've been playing for close to 30 years now

it doesn't take that long to learn to play something you like though

depending on what you want to learn to play, you can learn to play it in 2-3 weeks most likely

What kind of music are you wanting to play ?

I've got a collection of just about every style of guitar lesson, video tapes, DVDs, music books - I read music too - If you've got any questions about which lessons are good and which ones to avoid, I can give you some hints.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 77 Posts

I recommend tabs also. What music/bands/songs are you interested in learning? Email me and I'll send you a bunch...

homebrewer_99@yahoo.com

I've been playing guitar almost 37 years....

Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 AM   #13
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just remember... "Its a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll" (I just watched School of Rock)

The easiest way to learn guitar is to pick up an acoustic and learn your open chords. You master 3 of them (G C D) and you can learn a surprising number of songs. Guitar is pretty cool, you get what you put in...good luck!!

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #14
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Cool thanks guys.

I was hoping for that response. So I go look at Tabs and open cords.
At least I'll have a picture of what I'm getting into.

A give you a shout when I actually pick the thing up.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well, this might be late, but if you don't know how to read music (most people don't) then guitar tabs are what you want... they are without a doubt the greatest thing to come along for all guitarists...

anyway, www.ultimate-guitar.com has a great database, as well as the results from this google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=guitar+tabs&btnG=Google+Search
i've been playing for 15 years (wow that makes me feel old) and I consider myself to be "OK" it's something that def requires a lot of practice and patience...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
Beerlord
Recipes 

there are no shortcuts, practice is the only way. If you take lessons, take classical or jazz, that way there is nothing you can't play. I've been playing on and off for 28 years, but i suck cuz i only put about 1 hour a week in, if that.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't play myself, but watched my brother learn and get pretty darn good at it while we were growing up. I would play around with his guitar every now and then myself, so I know a little bit about what you're up against. I don't know why I never really wanted to learn. I got pretty good at brass instruments myself, but that's pretty useless now for me as an adult. I wish I had learned guitar or piano back then.

The advice others have given you about tabs and chords is sound.

Now some practical advice. The first thing you are going to need to do is develop callouses on the tips of your fingers on your chord hand (normally your left hand). This means practicing enough every day, but no so much that your fingers bleed. It's frustrating because you want to play for hours, but you probably should limit it to a half hour once or twice a day until your fingers get toughened up.

Then you need to just work at it. At first it is very frustrating because you know what you want to do, but it's hard to get your fingers to go there.
If you keep at it, though, it's one of those things where you'll have an epiphany one day where you'll say, holy crap I'm really playing this thing! Try to play for an hour if you can, at least 5 days a week. You should find that you make steady progress that way until you get good enough that you will really enjoy playing.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've been playing for about 15 years now and I'm in my jazz phase. I started off learning to read music and tablature at the same time. It wasn't quickly paced enough for me, so I just start figure stuff out by ear. If you're not interested in learning how to read music, then don't. I agree with learning tab and your chords. If you want to play lead/solos, learn some basic scales (e.g. pentatonic). You can pretty much take your scales and just play them in whatever key the song is in. You also might want to learn the difference between Majors and Minors. Just have fun with it, thats what hobbies are for!

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #19
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A decent well setup guitar for starters. As many chord books as you can get your hands on. I think I wore the covers off of everthing Mel Bay had to offer back in the 60's. A good guitar teacher. I studied under Rex Gallien in the late 60's. Old time players will recognize the name. I took that coarse for technique. Something the old time jazz players had plenty of.
Some guitar players are naturals, my little 18 yo nephew has never had a lesson in his life but can play note for note every Van Halen lead riff with all the divebombs, hammerons, pulloffs, bends, pich harmonics and every guitar trick known. He only knows a few bar chords tho and does not know what they are.
Myself, I am older now and concentrate on perfecting my Tbone Walker.
AP

Old 01-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got interested abiut 1 year ago, using my wife's classical guitar, and I would pick out the bass line playing alog with bluegrass music ...

Agreat hobby, and you will always be able to join in w/other players ...

Lots of fun. My daughter is taking lessons at school, and she and I practice the songs together ... our latest accomplishments include Yellow submarine and Octopus' Garden.

I agree that motor memory is amazing after you get used to the chords .. it just gets better with time (like good beer) but time with the guitar is needed, obviously ..

BTW - I would up getting my folk guitar on EBAY (NEW Fok guitar - $18) .. so I bid $18 to start, ready to gi much higher ... won the auction at 18 bucks... and yes, the unit is not made out of cardboard , and it was strung !

Wife's classical sounds much better..

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply