Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Lead Paint Test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
509inc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default Lead Paint Test

I went to Lowes to price new carpet and the guy said that since my house was built in 1935 I would have to pay for a Lead test. Well its obvious to me that there will be lead found.

So if the house fails the test what will the outcome be? I was told they report it and my homeowner insurance would skyrocket. Is that true? Anyone have any experience with this? What was the outcome?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Try Home Depot.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Since when does Lowes care about its subcontracted installers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
509inc
Recipes 

I kinda of stuck with Lowes. Got tons on gift cards for xmas. But if the lead test is going to screw me over i'll figure out something else to spend the money on.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
509inc
Recipes 

Well from what I have read the contractor is not required by the EPA to report their findings. I hope there is a contractor on here who could provided real experience.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Assuming that you fail this test, what are you required to do?

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Reason: grammar

Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
509inc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Assuming that you fail this test, what are you required to do?
Well that question was basically that point of this thread. From what I read on the EPA website nothing except disclose that info if I sell the house and pay more to the contractor for the lead test. Where are the contractors at on HBT? I need some info from the pros.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

What does the paint have to do with a carpet and why did they ask about the age of your home?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

There's new laws, I thought they were only in michigan, but they are evidently federal, about lead paint. I don't know the particulars, but my GF got a new front door setup fro Lowes and of course they swabbed and found lead on the old one, so she had to pay a special disposal fee.

I know contractors now have to go through a course on handling lead, and testing for lead, and are evidently supposed to test for lead on every job they do.

I think a lot of it, just gets handled by paying stupid fees for dissposal of small things, like the old doors...BUT at the other end some good friends of mine, who live in a really old house that has been in their family forever just had porch repairs done, and of course the contractor had to test, and since it was the exterior of the house, he ended up afterwords getting a notice for the city that he had to scrape and re-paint the entore house outside.

He's been laid off for awhile and their income is small and this little bit of governmental BS ended up costing him a lot of money he really didn't have.

I dont know the nuances of the laws, if you have any contactor friends talk to them, they should know more than I do, but it really sucks, that little jobs now end up as big jobs, or extra padded costs because of this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Here's some of the particulars via googling.

http://www.homeconstructionimproveme...april-22-2010/

Quote:
New EPA Lead Paint Laws Effect Remodeling Projects
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has new lead paint laws going into affect on April 22, 2010. The new lead paint laws require any renovation work performed on houses built before 1978 to be performed by a certified contractor. Obviously his new law is causing some serious moans and groans from both home owners and contractors. Contractors will be required to provide home owners the Renovate Right Brochure which contains useful information http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovaterightbrochure.pdf

Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Law
The new lead paint laws that goes into affect on April 22 involves training and certification of remodelers, safe work-site practices, verification and record keeping. It’s very important to understand that the new law pertains to projects on any house built before 1978 with a few exceptions as follows:

•The home or child occupied facility was built after 1978.
•The repairs are minor, with interior work disturbing less than six sq. ft. or exteriors disturbing less than 20 sq. ft.
•The homeowner may also opt out by signing a waiver if there are no children under age six frequently visiting the property, no one in the home is pregnant, or the property is not a child-occupied facility. This is no longer true. The EPA just removed this waiver. (Ref).

•If the house or components test lead free by a Certified Risk Assessor, Lead Inspector, or Certified Renovator.
What Does The New Law Mean To You?
You’re probably wondering what this new law might mean to you and your next remodeling project. The obvious answer is a healthier home for you, your family and people that perform renovations to your home. The other obvious answer is an increased cost for contractors to adhere to the new rules which ultimately means an increased cost to you.

Over the last few months I’ve heard several small contractors say they will steer clear of and avoid older home renovations. A significant amount of small replacement window contractors will most likely go out of business and stop providing inexpensive window replacement services. While we think the new law is important in protecting public safety we also know it will result in much higher prices for consumers and less competition for consumers.

If you hire a contractor to do a renovation in your home that was built prior to 1978 be sure you hire a certified contractor. You should ask to see your contractors RRP certification prior to hiring them. Contractors performing work without the certification face penalties of $37,500 per day!

New Law Will Take Time To Work Effectively
With over 38 million homes containing lead paint in the US no one can argue the importance of good lead paint laws. However, from the few meetings and conversations I’ve had it’s clear to me that this is going to take some time before it’s very effective. Most of the literature and training has left contractors confused, upset and frustrated. However, with time these new laws will become part of everyday routines for contractors and ultimately help save lives. We certainly hope the EPA works quickly to fill in the blanks and help contractors implement this new law.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply