Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > LCD high-def, seriously?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #41
BeerWars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I don't agree with this. While the discernable effects of the duplicated frames may be minimal it is still not what is considered Native from the source. Now, if a set capable of 120Hz could be forced to display at the Native 24, 30, or 60 as the source I would then consider that as not processed.

Does it matter to the naked eye? Not usually.
You do not understand how digital video works.

It is not showing a frame for 1/120th of a second, clearing the screen and then showing the second identical frame for 1/120th of a second and so on.

Basically, with digital it is only refreshing the changes in a scene from the previous frame. So if there is a black screen for 5 minutes the Blu-ray player literally sends the information for the black screen and then nothing else for 5 minutes until the scene changes. If subsequently 1 pixel is illuminated, it is not re-sending the tv an image of a black screen with 1 pixel - it simply tells the TV which pixel it wants and which color to make it. That is the beauty of this technology.

So you assertion is completely false. When a Blu-ray is watched on a 120hz TV, the player isn't sending the tv 120 individual frames per second - it sends the info for the first frame - since there are no changes to the image for frames 2,3,4,5 the image is not refreshed - 6/120th of a second later it sends which pixels need to be modified and the tv refreshes those individual pixels to create the new image that is frame 2. It does this 24 times per second.

Everything you see on a 120Hz TV without MotionFlow is displayed at the native fps. With MotionFlow is another story; and the reason it looks fake (because 80% of what you see is "processed"). It is sending frame changes every 1/120ths of a second vs. 5/120ths (24 times) without MotionFlow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #42
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4752 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerWars View Post
You do not understand how digital video works.

It is not showing a frame for 1/120th of a second, clearing the screen and then showing the second identical frame for 1/120th of a second and so on.

Basically, with digital it is only refreshing the changes in a scene from the previous frame. So if there is a black screen for 5 minutes the Blu-ray player literally sends the information for the black screen and then nothing else for 5 minutes until the scene changes. If subsequently 1 pixel is illuminated, it is not re-sending the tv an image of a black screen with 1 pixel - it simply tells the TV which pixel it wants and which color to make it. That is the beauty of this technology.

So you assertion is completely false. When a Blu-ray is watched on a 120hz TV, the player isn't sending the tv 120 individual frames per second - it sends the info for the first frame - since there are no changes to the image for frames 2,3,4,5 the image is not refreshed - 6/120th of a second later it sends which pixels need to be modified and the tv refreshes those individual pixels to create the new image that is frame 2. It does this 24 times per second.

Everything you see on a 120Hz TV without MotionFlow is displayed at the native fps. With MotionFlow is another story; and the reason it looks fake (because 80% of what you see is "processed"). It is sending frame changes every 1/120ths of a second vs. 5/120ths (24 times) without MotionFlow.
Again, another excellent response.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #43
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have a 60" 1080P samsung DLP its only 12" wide, I notice when I go over to a friends house his LCD looks really fake I can't adjust to the picture. seems like motion is sped up a bit. he says he noticed it too, but after a few days got used to it.

is this the "soap opera effect" you speak of if so count me out I think it looks like crap, its not fluid motion at all. our neighbors got a new LCD and were complain of the same thing I went over and tweaked several settings in the tv and removed or almost removed that speeding up motion thing. how can people think it looks good?

-=Jason=-

Old 11-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #44
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
his LCD looks really fake I can't adjust to the picture. seems like motion is sped up a bit. he says he noticed it too, but after a few days got used to it.
is this the "soap opera effect" you speak of

That's what I was referring to.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #45
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

One word: books

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #46
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
Ok. I set my TV on some books. It didn't seem to help.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #47
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4752 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Ok. I set my TV on some books. It didn't seem to help.
You have to flip each page 4 times before you can flip to the next page.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #48
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
Sweet, they have hi-def books?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #49
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not reading 5 pages of this, but in case no one has said this: you can turn that crap off... I hate it too!

Quick Reply