Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The latest chapter in my life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,167
Liked 120 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Hearing from close friends and family means a lot. Hearing from all you folks on HBT means even more. Just knowing that there are still people in the world who are compassionate and care about total strangers give me hope for humanity.

Surgery is on May 3rd, I have 4 days to drink up my stash of Heady Topper and my own Double Simcoe IPA. Check it out:

Simcoe IPA Copy
14-B American IPA
Author: Marc L.
Date: 3/1/13

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 68.8%
Attenuation: 77.3%
Calories: 219.65 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 11.74 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.71% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 90.5 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
2 tsp Ferm-Cap S - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.0 gal; Strike: 169.78 °F; Target: 152 °F
01:05:00 Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 150.1 °F
01:05:00 Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 4.47 gal sparge @ 195.0 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.62 gal

Notes
bottle on 3/22 w/ 131g corn sugar

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

__________________

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
SharonaZamboni
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SharonaZamboni's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palmer, MA
Posts: 5,381
Liked 1419 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a full recovery! Get drinking those brews!

__________________
You may well be the smartest person here.-Zuljin

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie
SharonaZamboni is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
stevo4361
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Basin, WY
Posts: 342
Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Best of luck! I'm not a doctor or anything, but I think your humorous attitude and approach to this will help a great deal! Cheers to a speedy recovery!

__________________
stevo4361 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,316
Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Hearing from close friends and family means a lot. Hearing from all you folks on HBT means even more. Just knowing that there are still people in the world who are compassionate and care about total strangers give me hope for humanity.

Surgery is on May 3rd, I have 4 days to drink up my stash of Heady Topper and my own Double Simcoe IPA. Check it out:

Simcoe IPA Copy
14-B American IPA
Author: Marc L.
Date: 3/1/13

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 68.8%
Attenuation: 77.3%
Calories: 219.65 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 11.74 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.71% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 90.5 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
2 tsp Ferm-Cap S - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.0 gal; Strike: 169.78 °F; Target: 152 °F
01:05:00 Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 150.1 °F
01:05:00 Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 4.47 gal sparge @ 195.0 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.62 gal

Notes
bottle on 3/22 w/ 131g corn sugar

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3
Oh, that sounds SOOOOOOO good. It's probably a good thing that I'm not closer to your area, as I would definitely stop by to drink your be.....um, I mean stop by to visit you and bring you a card or something.

This is going to sound weird, but I really count my "imaginary friends" as friends, and I hope that you really do count us as people who do care about you and can be supportive of you in our not-real-friends-in-real-life-friends kind of way.

We can keep you in our thoughts, and our prayers (for the praying types) and generally be caring even though we're far away. Sort of like family who care, but don't see you very often.

Let us know if there is anything you want from us, including moral support. We're pretty good at that.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,167
Liked 120 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Thanks. Everyone has been commenting on my positive attitude. But think about it...how am supposed to act? The tumor is there, and it has to come out, bottom line. Once it does, we'll see what happens next. For now, I'm feelin' pretty goddamn good!

Anyways, I agree with you, Lorena. The friends I have here on HBT are real, such as yourself, Creamy Goodness, CheezyDemon, Pappers, et. al.

__________________

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 24,163
Liked 2350 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Thanks. Everyone has been commenting on my positive attitude. But think about it...how am supposed to act? The tumor is there, and it has to come out, bottom line. Once it does, we'll see what happens next. For now, I'm feelin' pretty goddamn good!

Anyways, I agree with you, Lorena. The friends I have here on HBT are real, such as yourself, Creamy Goodness, CheezyDemon, Pappers, et. al.
Even Creamy??

You better get that brain surgery ASAP!

Just picking on Creamy. Praying you will be up and at 'em in no time!
__________________
Homercidal is offline
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,167
Liked 120 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Even Creamy??

You better get that brain surgery ASAP!

Just picking on Creamy. Praying you will be up and at 'em in no time!
You're on that list, too, Homer. I couldn't name everyone here...that would take forever hence the "et. al."
__________________

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CreamyGoodness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 6,890
Liked 1751 Times on 1214 Posts
Likes Given: 2971

Default

Seriously buddy, best of luck. I'm sure everything will go well, but I'll be rooting for you anyway.

__________________


You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

CreamyGoodness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 19,648
Liked 3620 Times on 2231 Posts
Likes Given: 3121

Default

Good luck tomorrow.

__________________
All the clouds are cumuloft
Walking in space
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
JR_Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 237
Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default

Good luck today Marc, you'll be back brewing in no time.

In the meantime, kick back and put the Big Lebowski on the tube while you recuperate. Your doctor is a good man, and thorough.

__________________
JRBrewer on Untappd

Planned - Saison Graf
Fermenting - Ned's Red (Flanders Red Ale)
Bottled - Belgian Tripel, Belgo Graf, Saison (split batch with brett), Black 13 (Graf Porter), Old Style Amer. Cream Ale, Amber Graf, Wheat Graf, Bannockburn Wee Heavy, Berry Mead
JR_Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How NOT to Brew - Chapter 3: The Chill passedpawn General Beer Discussion 56 12-24-2012 04:57 AM
Chrysler CHAPTER 11... yay! The Pol Debate Forum 92 05-06-2009 08:43 PM
Krausen writes another chapter oguss0311 General Beer Discussion 4 05-11-2008 03:27 AM
how to brew chapter 1-2 FEARDIZ Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 11-02-2007 05:56 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS