LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #21
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Yeah, usually smilies like work well, or even . Or HBT standards dictate the use of medium turquoise colored text for sarcasm, as the internerd is notoriously bad at conveying levels of sarcasm.
It's supposed to be TEAL!!!

Sounds like a crazy situation. That's why I don't rent. I bought a condo first and moved on from there. I would suggest doing whatever you need to do to fix your credit and buy something of your own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #22
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was told med turq, but then again, I was told in teal, so who knows anymore? Either way.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #23
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

In any legal matter there's being a cost to being "right".
On the whole of it I think I'd rather be you then her.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #24
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your landlord is an idiot, this has got to be damaging his credit score. Move immediately and never look back.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #25
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
yeah, man...nothing like some good old fashioned blackmail! I'm thinking the same thing, she might be running afoul of zoning laws if there's only one technical address there.
Best of all, blackmail is free.
I do stand by my items 1 and 2, though. Depending on the rental market and the size of the deposit and whether the LL is holding last-month rent in addition to it, it may be better to just say, "outta here" and not fight at all. If it goes to court, there will likely be up front costs, lots of time (courts don't convene after you get off work), and you may still end up owing some court costs at the end even if you win. If the LL has a last month rent and you have found a place (or are fairly sure you can get one within 4 weeks), don't pay your last month's rent. On your way out, don't pay for any cleaning, and at least have a really good party. Maybe you could charge a cover to offset your deposit loss.
It may ultimately be better to fight it, but don't forget to weigh the real costs of that route, including your time and sanity.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #26
jbreiding
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey
Best of all, blackmail is free.
I do stand by my items 1 and 2, though. Depending on the rental market and the size of the deposit and whether the LL is holding last-month rent in addition to it, it may be better to just say, "outta here" and not fight at all. If it goes to court, there will likely be up front costs, lots of time (courts don't convene after you get off work), and you may still end up owing some court costs at the end even if you win. If the LL has a last month rent and you have found a place (or are fairly sure you can get one within 4 weeks), don't pay your last month's rent. On your way out, don't pay for any cleaning, and at least have a really good party. Maybe you could charge a cover to offset your deposit loss.
It may ultimately be better to fight it, but don't forget to weigh the real costs of that route, including your time and sanity.

there may not even need to be a fight if the landlord is in violation of zoning laws. if the contract is you are renting an apartment and that isn't an apartment the contract becomes null and void and the LL becomes liable to return all deposits. taxes are also based on zoning and dwelling, so if they are doing something they arent zoned for they may be skipping out on some taxes. you may also want to check your local "renters rights". deposits in fl are required to be placed in an account separate from the LL accounts. that account information, including institution, is supposed to be delivered to the renter within 30 days of occupation.

just goto your county appraisers site and lookup the address. a little bit of research may mean enough info to get out of there w/o losing a dime.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #27
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
I'm not sure if she can LEGALLY charge us for a usage-based utility if she can't determine that either of us used a given amount? Would the fact that I can't control the gas mean I'm absolved from paying for it...
I lived in an apartment for a summer and this is how it was done for the water. There was only one meter per 8 apartments. The complex would get the bill from the water people, divide it by 8, then they had a thrid party collector send out the bill with our nem specifically on the bill. But, this was explicitly explained in the lease. Luckily for us, non of the people in the building were jerks and use too much water.

You might also contact the gas company, something like this has bound to have happened before. Also, some states have VERY strict rules about having gas turned off in the cold months.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #28
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division has a Mediation Unit that can help you try to resolve a dispute with a landlord.

Downtown Baltimore Office
200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202-2021
Complaint Line:
(410) 528-8662 or
D.C. metro area: (301) 470-7534
9 a.m. to 3 p.m., M-F
TDD for hearing impaired person: (410) 576-6372
Website: www.oag.state.md.us/consumer (consumers can download a consumer complaint form)

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Write her a letter with two lines:

1. Is the IRS aware of this building being a two family rental?

2. How much do we owe you again?

While the fact that you signed the lease as is presents a problem (you agreed to pay gas) the fact there's no way to meter your share of the usage dictates that it should have also spelled out how that "gas charge" was going to be imposed. Clearly you don't owe it all and even "half" would only be reasonable if it said so in the lease. If both apartments have gas stoves, the only reasonable choice is to convert to two-meters or the landlord pays the gas and makes up for it in the flat rental fee.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 12-06-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #30
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I think I'd start with the AG's office. Looks like there's some good info on that site. At the very least, I'd be dropping mention of "attorney general's office" the next time I spoke with the landlord Basically, words to the effect of - "You didn't give us the damn bill to pay, now your credit's all f*cked up, give me my deposit back or I'm calling the attorney general's office."

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply