The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Laminate flooring decision

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Laminate flooring decision

Okay, when SWMBO gets back in May, we are going to rip out all of the carpet in the front of the house. We hate carpet. Especially with pets.

So we are looking at this 30 year laminate flooring for pretty much the entire house minus the bedrooms for now.

Would something like this raise the value or hurt us in the long run?

FWIW, another possible option is to get the existing hardwood floors (under the current carpet) redone. I think that would be a significant more cost but an option if we are going to lose value when we inevitably sell this place in a few years.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

You have to see what the floors underneath look like. Personally, I prefer *real* hardwood anyday over the laminate stuff that anyone and his cousin can install in a weekend. You *could* rent a sander and do it yourself, but that's a hard, dirty job that's easy to eff up. I'd get a quote, at least - I was able to do most of our first floor and half of the upstairs for not much more than a grand, IIRC (it was a few years ago).

As to the value-added question, I don't really know the answer; are the carpets in bad shape?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i've thought about it too. you said you were going to use it in the front of the house. I've heard not to use it in an entryway due to moisture causing problems with it. Of course, the entryway and kitchen are exactly where we would want it.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not too sure about value, but what I can offer is that two of the four levels in my house are laminate, and with a dog, two kids,two cats, and a drunken asshole, the stuff is totally bullet-proof. A veeery livable option, even if it isn't the best thing for a sale-price. You're not looking to sell yet are you?

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

In my opinion you can't beat real hardwood. I remodeled one of my rental homes for sale and where there was hardwood, I had it refinished. I did the rest in laminate.

Be aware that like most floor coverings, things go in waves. Laminate is the new carpet, but hardwood is forever. If you're looking for resale, you can't beat the real thing. I already know lots of people who think laminate is tacky. If you cover over the hardwood, I'll bet you will find yourself ripping up the laminate and refinishing when you sell.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
You have to see what the floors underneath look like. Personally, I prefer *real* hardwood anyday over the laminate stuff that anyone and his cousin can install in a weekend. You *could* rent a sander and do it yourself, but that's a hard, dirty job that's easy to eff up. I'd get a quote, at least - I was able to do most of our first floor and half of the upstairs for not much more than a grand, IIRC (it was a few years ago).

As to the value-added question, I don't really know the answer; are the carpets in bad shape?
Funny you say that....me and my cousin installed my laminate flooring.

IMO, the laminate looks great, and is very resiliant. With pets, it will not scratch, as where real hardwood will and you'll be redoing it every couple years.(assuming youve got a dog , I have a choc. lab) I also had real hardwood under my carpet but went with the laminate because of less maint and ease of installation.

I dont think its goint to affect the value of your house anything worth speaking of, but im no expert in that....and the hardwood will still be under the laminate.

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 03-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophe96
Funny you say that....me and my cousin installed my laminate flooring.

IMO, the laminate looks great, and is very resiliant. With pets, it will not scratch, as where real hardwood will and you'll be redoing it every couple years.(assuming youve got a dog , I have a choc. lab) I also had real hardwood under my carpet but went with the laminate because of less maint and ease of installation.

I dont think its goint to affect the value of your house anything worth speaking of, but im no expert in that....and the hardwood will still be under the laminate.
I don't mean any disrespect, it just seems like EVERY newer house or remodeled house has laminate hardwood. Old-school hardwood, even if possibly a lesser product, to me adds a little bit more character to the house.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You've got to find out how thick the hardwood boards are. If they are thick enough to allow for sanding/refinishing the I think this is the best option (I can check with a buddy of mine who does this professionally for the board thickness to look for). IMO it will look best and unarguably it holds the highest resale value.

I've done a whole number of places myself with Essex/Silver Line sanding machines, which are rented locally in many places and it really isn't that much work when compared to the cost to have a 'pro' do it. I sanded 2 12x14 rooms, and entry and a hallway in my parents house in 2-3 days then it took another 2-3 for all the finishing. The key is to be NUTS about wood dust removal before finishing.

I'd say, hands down, refinish the wood. And do it yourself. After all, you have all your fingers and appendages so you should be able-bodied.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 AM   #9
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Funny this topic just came up....I just refinished our small dining room...11x10. "Real" hardwood floors, sanded (not with drum sander, but the orbital sander that has 4 discs), re-stained, and polyurethane - 3 coats. I'm happy with the end results! More importantly, SWMBO is happy with the results.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Go the hardwood. I did my entire house prior to moving in. I paid somebody to do it though - a lot of work. All nails have to be hammered in and then the holes filled up. That alone would have taken me three days, he did it in one morning!
It does scratch but that adds to the charm. It is a home after all, not a show house.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Quick Reply