Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Lagunitas Knows How to Throw a Party!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,101
Liked 1025 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

Default Lagunitas Knows How to Throw a Party!

Last Thursday, Nancy and I went to a fantastic party thrown by Lagunitas Brewing. Lagunitas is opening a brewery in Chicago, near 16th and Rockwell on the near southside.

The party was thrown in giant warehouses owned by Cinespace Chicago Film Studios (the largest film stage space outside of Hollywood, we're told, and where Chicago Fire is filmed), there had to be over five hundred guests, entertaining performers and servers from Red Moon Theater (see the photo below), food trucks, and of course, Lagunitas beer.



The tap room in the new brewery will be glass walled, in the middle of the brewery and elevated. Most cool, it will be open this March and you will be able to watch the build-out of the brewery as it continues on into the autumn. Sounds like a field trip!

If you want to read more, go to my blog at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html It was the best party I've been to in a long time.

__________________
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"


"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Pappers_ is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,949
Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Default

That is cool. How'd you score the invite?

__________________
TyTanium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,101
Liked 1025 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
That is cool. How'd you score the invite?
A friend who owns a bar and sells Lagunita. In fact, I had a Lagunita's Day Tripper at his place the other day - an IPA session beer, very interesting.
__________________
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"


"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Pappers_ is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,173
Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default

That's cool!

I love their beers. The IPA, Hop Stoopid, and Little Sumpin' Sumpin' are fantastic and all super hoppy...just the way I like it!

__________________

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,101
Liked 1025 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
That's cool!

I love their beers. The IPA, Hop Stoopid, and Little Sumpin' Sumpin' are fantastic and all super hoppy...just the way I like it!
We did a beer and food pairing party last spring and included Hop Stoopid with the IPAs - it is an outstanding beer.

At the sneak-peek party for the new brewery, they were serving IPA, Little Sumpin' and Pils. I had never tried the Pils before, so that was my first beer at the party. It was nice, had an overall brightness to it, good grainy pilsner aroma and flavor and a nice bracing bitterness. I don't know if Lagunitas makes other lagers, but this was enjoyable. Then I moved onto Little Sumpin'
__________________
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"


"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Pappers_ is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Djanvk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Freeport, IL
Posts: 84
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Just had a Brown Shugga ale from Lagunitas, that will put some hair on you chest. I've liked all of their beers so far, definitly going to have to get up to their brewery in Chicago.

__________________

"Want a Beer?"
"I've been known to." -Father In Law

Djanvk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 923
Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
We did a beer and food pairing party last spring and included Hop Stoopid with the IPAs - it is an outstanding beer.

At the sneak-peek party for the new brewery, they were serving IPA, Little Sumpin' and Pils. I had never tried the Pils before, so that was my first beer at the party. It was nice, had an overall brightness to it, good grainy pilsner aroma and flavor and a nice bracing bitterness. I don't know if Lagunitas makes other lagers, but this was enjoyable. Then I moved onto Little Sumpin'
Their Pils is great, Little Sumpin and Brown Shugga are both fantastic. I used to really love their IPA, but after finding myself leaning towards to more dry style typical here on the west coast, I find their high mash residual sweetness a bit much lately.

They've got a great taproom at their Petaluma location 30min south of me too!
__________________
Jukas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,101
Liked 1025 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Their Pils is great, Little Sumpin and Brown Shugga are both fantastic. I used to really love their IPA, but after finding myself leaning towards to more dry style typical here on the west coast, I find their high mash residual sweetness a bit much lately.

They've got a great taproom at their Petaluma location 30min south of me too!
Sounds like their plans for the taproom in Chicago are pretty good - can't wait to visit it during the brewery build-out.

I need to try their Brown Shugga - what style is it?
__________________
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"


"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Pappers_ is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 923
Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_

Sounds like their plans for the taproom in Chicago are pretty good - can't wait to visit it during the brewery build-out.

I need to try their Brown Shugga - what style is it?
I'd probably peg it in the strong ale style... It's roasty and malty and almost 10% ABV. I think thy said it was originally the product of a failed barley wine attempt that they had added a boatload of born sugar to. It's a season fall release and is a great holiday sipper.
__________________
Jukas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #10
Tex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ft worth
Posts: 424
Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas

I'd probably peg it in the strong ale style... It's roasty and malty and almost 10% ABV. I think thy said it was originally the product of a failed barley wine attempt that they had added a boatload of born sugar to. It's a season fall release and is a great holiday sipper.
They were making their barley wine and didn't have corn sugar so they bought up all the brown sugar in the area, hence the name Brown Shugga. I wouldn't say it's particularly roasty. It's definitely sweet and has some malt backbone but the alcohol is pretty hot to me.
__________________
Tex is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Clone - Straight from Lagunitas Haputanlas Recipes/Ingredients 66 07-04-2014 10:51 PM
Would you throw this out or keep going? kc_in_wv Wine Making Forum 6 09-23-2011 07:41 PM
party star keg v. party pig v. corny setup zeoalex Bottling/Kegging 6 08-22-2011 05:57 PM
Just throw it away.... Slipgate Bottling/Kegging 15 06-26-2009 07:58 PM
To Throw or Not to Throw? EinGutesBier General Techniques 2 07-08-2008 06:22 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS