Kudos to the Seals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was awesome news. Our military is awesome! They need armed men on ALL of our US ships. We arm pilots, why not ship crews??

Yes, I agree, arm competent people with guns. I don't think this situation would have ended so well if those seals didn't know how to use their weapons but I was thinking with all the waves (up and down motion) and the distance between the boats, man those guys were good!

This was awesome news. Our military is awesome! They need armed men on ALL of our US ships. We arm pilots, why not ship crews??

The ship crew was armed and managed to drive off the majority of the pirates by themselves. It's just that the pirates took the captain hostage on a lifeboat. I'm just amazed with the seals. Three shots, three kills, from one ship to another in rolling, windy conditions...AT NIGHT! Just amazing. I'm glad they're on our side.

This ship crew was armed and managed to drive off the majority of the pirates by themselves. It's just that the pirates took the captain hostage on a lifeboat. I'm just amazed at the seals. Three shots, three kills, from one ship to another in rolling, windy conditions...AT NIGHT! Just amazing.

MSNBC has a neat animated recreation of the snipers pulling it off from the rolling ship.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=30189266�

Q: What is plural of prost?

Anyway whatever it is, three PROST!-s to those guys. Hopefully we'll blow up a few more soon and it'll start to be a deterrent. Things have gotten out of hand in the last few months there since it is seen as 'easy money'; pull off one job and you are set for life, and until now they rarely had any reason to have second thoughts since most of their targets are untrained and unarmed.

Yeah what the hell's somalia going to do? Hopefully they see this as a warning. Hey somlia, It'll take 15 minutes to destroy you. You're no Iraq. You have nothing for us.

Yes it's like my 70lb, 12 month lab playing with the 8lb puppy schnauzer that I was baby sitting this weekend. My dog is playing, but the schnauzer is fighting for its life.

I'm afraid we (the U.S. and the developed world) are the only ones that have anything to loose in this fight. I applaud the action that was taken in this case, but am not excited about the prospect of another ongoing campaign against an enemy with nothing to loose.

The ship crew was armed and managed to drive off the majority of the pirates by themselves. It's just that the pirates took the captain hostage on a lifeboat. I'm just amazed with the seals. Three shots, three kills, from one ship to another in rolling, windy conditions...AT NIGHT! Just amazing. I'm glad they're on our side.

The crew wasn't armed. The leader, I heard, they got him between the thumb and a finger with an ice pick. The other guys they just overwhelmed because of their numbers and because they weren't expecting the crew to fight back. Arming the crewmembers is generally not feasible because of restrictions on their ability to go to countries if the crew is armed (treaties, etc. that might need to be revised).

The topic is Kudos to the Seals.

We are in the General chit-chat forum.

Refrain from discussions about politics, policy, etc.

If you feel you must, go create a topic in the debate forum.

There are members here that specifically opt out of the debate forum so that they do not have to see any political / religious topics discussed.

Please honor their wishes.

Does anyone remember the Marine Corps Hymn? "To the shores of Tripoli"

The young United States decided to not pay tribute to the Barbary Pirates and in the ensuing carnage, some Marines kicked some a$$.

How about Q-Ships in WWI? They were designed to kill german U-Boats. I say that all we need to do is make some tasty looking freighters, load some marines on them, and let them just kick pirate @$$.

Oh. yea. Almost forgot. 3 shots. 3 kills. GO SEALS!!!!!!!!!!

SEALS ROCK!!! The platform they were shooting from was moving, the targets were moving on a platform that was also moving, there was undoubtedly wind, and they still made their shots... That's damned impressive! I'll hoist 3 to the SEALS; one for each of the snipers. Well done! Regards, GF.

SEALS ROCK!!! The platform they were shooting from was moving, the targets were moving on a platform that was also moving, there was undoubtedly wind, and they still made their shots...

...and IN THE DARK according to one article I read. Damn fine job. :rockin:

So any guesses as to how long it will be before this event is made into a movie? I read one article that said the Seal team was somewhere in Africa (read - if you're in Africa and are not on our side, be afraid...very afraid) and they were flown to the conflict, parachuted into the water near the destroyer and were on the deck ready to shoot within minutes. That's awesome.

Anyone know what SEAL snipers typically use? .308?

My best guess would be .308 for personnel at short-medium range, .50 BMG for personnel at long range or material targets.

Just a SWAG based on what other US Special Forces guys prefer, but I'm sure a SEAL would be lethal at that range with damn near anything, slingshots included. I've never known any SEALs, but I knew an Air Force Combat Controller who could probably kill you at 75 yards with a declawed kitten if he really watned to. :D

My best guess would be .308 for personnel at short-medium range, .50 BMG for personnel at long range or material targets

Was wondering about the .50. That's gonna leave a mark...:drunk:

Yeah , but we already know the ending. Plus you know the screen print will show up on Pirate Bay.

I'd fast-forward to the end anyhow. :p ;)

Back