Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Knife Sharpening

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Knife Sharpening

I have a growing collection of knives, mainly kitchen but others as well, and am tired of shipping them out the have them sharpened. I am looking at maybe getting a knife sharpening system.

I do not want to do anything freehand on a whetstone or use an electric sharpener since I have heard many bad things about them. I am looking at both the edge pro apex and the wicked edge system and those both seem really good but are both really damn expensive.

I know there have to be some knife nuts on here so what do you all do for sharpening?

I also need something highly adjustable for blade angle since I have a wide range of knives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm glad you decided to stop sending your knives away to someone else to sharpen, I don't think I could trust someone else to properly care for my knives. A good steel is something you should consider if you don't already have one, I can completely get behind this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Dick-Multicut-.../dp/B000YQHXU0

If you have a large collection you probably already have one but this one is great.
As far as an electric sharpener goes I can't reccomend one because I personally despise them. I have seen them mar otherwise great knives because of malfunction or misuse. The only proper way to sharpen a good knife is with a stone and a steel or with a grinder and an extremely light touch.

but since I want to answer your question I have a friend that tells me that the Chef’sChoice M130 electric sharpener is the best option if you want to go automated. Its not cheap, $130 I think, but compared to a few knife service jobs it will pay for itself quickly.

I spent years as a butcher/meat cutter and restaurant kitchen pirate so I learned how to steel and sharpen knives properly by hand. It is a skill well worth learning and will save you quite a bit of money over the long term.

Do you have a favorite knife for kitchen work? I absolutely love my Global knives - they hold a great edge.
sorry I couldn't be more helpful

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1394 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm planning to get something like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-C...=2UYN3QF0BKZAT

Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

if anyone wants to go cheap but effective, I would go with one of these http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Quick-P...663797&sr=1-15

no joke. I sent my mom a good chefs knife a few years back(mostly so when my family visits her I don't have to suffer through using crap knives to cook). She doesn't know how to use a sharpening stone or steel so I sent her this lansky tool. it puts a great edge on knives and is super simple to use.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
I'm glad you decided to stop sending your knives away to someone else to sharpen, I don't think I could trust someone else to properly care for my knives. A good steel is something you should consider if you don't already have one, I can completely get behind this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Dick-Multicut-.../dp/B000YQHXU0

If you have a large collection you probably already have one but this one is great.
As far as an electric sharpener goes I can't reccomend one because I personally despise them. I have seen them mar otherwise great knives because of malfunction or misuse. The only proper way to sharpen a good knife is with a stone and a steel or with a grinder and an extremely light touch.

but since I want to answer your question I have a friend that tells me that the Chef’sChoice M130 electric sharpener is the best option if you want to go automated. Its not cheap, $130 I think, but compared to a few knife service jobs it will pay for itself quickly.

I spent years as a butcher/meat cutter and restaurant kitchen pirate so I learned how to steel and sharpen knives properly by hand. It is a skill well worth learning and will save you quite a bit of money over the long term.

Do you have a favorite knife for kitchen work? I absolutely love my Global knives - they hold a great edge.
sorry I couldn't be more helpful
Thanks, but I am specifically NOT looking for an electric one.

I have a decent hone. It is the Shun one. It isn't great but gets the job done just fine and right now I don't see a need in purchasing another one.

I have a set of Shuns in addition to some other random pieces and am looking at getting some high qualiy japanese knives in the future, hense the need to angle versatility.

I just don't trust myself with freehand and a stone on my expensive knives. I know it is the best route normally, but I just really can't trust myself yet. That is why I am looking into one of the systems that are out there.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

sorry, spaced that out.

I have been eyeing a shun 8 inch chef's knife for a while but can't justify the cost while blowing money on beer stuff.

any manual pull through/electric sharpener will put an edge on your knives, they aren't the best for your knife though. It sounds like you have some nice knives and it really doesn't take long to learn how to sharpen them properly.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
sorry, spaced that out.

I have been eyeing a shun 8 inch chef's knife for a while but can't justify the cost while blowing money on beer stuff.

any manual pull through/electric sharpener will put an edge on your knives, they aren't the best for your knife though. It sounds like you have some nice knives and it really doesn't take long to learn how to sharpen them properly.
I love my 8" shun. Just used it this morning before work actually. I am really pissed off that they have all of a sudden stopped their free lifetime sharpening though. That is complete BS.

And just to clarify, by sharpening system I am refering to something along the lines of these.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

and

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I stand corrected. Hear that INTERNET! I WAS WRONG!

those both look very nice, and are not that much different from a three sided stone and a steel - they just appear to be from the future. looking at them I would probably prefer the wicked edge model if you are set on something like this because it looks more user friendly.

watching the wicked edge demo I noticed that the guy is still doing a lot of work by hand so there is still some skill involved. for that price though i would get a high quality stone, a shaving strop, and another good knife.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
medusa1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tri-Angle Sharpener by Spyderco has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-A...6666644&sr=8-2

I use a three stone system by smith's, works just fine. It's really not that difficult to maintain an angle.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I stand corrected. Hear that INTERNET! I WAS WRONG!

those both look very nice, and are not that much different from a three sided stone and a steel - they just appear to be from the future. looking at them I would probably prefer the wicked edge model if you are set on something like this because it looks more user friendly.

watching the wicked edge demo I noticed that the guy is still doing a lot of work by hand so there is still some skill involved. for that price though i would get a high quality stone, a shaving strop, and another good knife.
For a while now I have been reading reviews and what not about both systems and people seem to be pretty much split between the two. The both have pretty big pros and cons so I was just looking to see if anyone knew of something along those lines or had any experience with either of them.

The difference between a system like that and 100% by hand is that the system hold and keeps the angle and everything exactly right for you, which is what I don't trust myself with on a stone. There is very little to no learning curve on those two systems at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post
Tri-Angle Sharpener by Spyderco has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-A...6666644&sr=8-2

I use a three stone system by smith's, works just fine. It's really not that difficult to maintain an angle.
I have read many great things about the spiderco but unfortunatly I need something that will handle a wider range of angles.
Quote:
I was wrong

Quick Reply