LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #31
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

So how come the nook doesn't have a keyboard and the Kindle does. Is the Nook's touch screen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #32
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3308 Times on 2059 Posts
Likes Given: 2829

I can't answer any nook questions, but I can comment briefly on the Kindle's keyboard.

I rarely use it. The only part that is useful for me is the little square "mousepad" on the right, and the Home / Menu / Back buttons. These all let you move around to your various books and other contents on the device. Also, by just using that mousepad thing, you can move a cursor up through the text and get definitions of any word in the text. A simple definition will pop up over the text, or you can jump into the much bigger Oxford Eng Dict definition by clicking.

The keyboard lets you enter notes into the text. It also lets you (quite easily) search the entire text for any word or phrase you want. Further, if you browse the amazon site for new books, you can do that from the Kindle, and this keyboard would allow you to do some searches there.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #33
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
So how come the nook doesn't have a keyboard and the Kindle does. Is the Nook's touch screen?
Yeah, the touch screen takes the place of a keyboard for the Nook. It's really just personal preference to which you like better. When I was demoing the Nook, I got annoyed at the touchscreen. The swipe-to-turn-pages was cool but the menus could only be as big as the touchscreen and I felt like I was swiping and poking way too much just for basic menu navigation. But it's not like the Kindle's keyboard doesn't have its own clunkiness issues. My biggest gripe there is that there's this huge keyboard with a very limited number of keyboard shortcuts on it. Unless I'm poking around on the internet, the only things I use the keyboard for are placing bookmarks (Alt-B), page searches, and word searches.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #34
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm an avid reader. Been so all my life. I can't remember reading any book, since childhood, that had color.

So, why color in the Nook? I'm not saying color is bad, but how is it used?
reading magazines, and technical books with color illustrations/diagrams.

and the color Nook is new...the black and white one has been around a while.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #35
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
I got my wife a Kindle last month, 3G cuz she refuses to believe free wifi exists outside our house...

My buddy got his wife a Nook because it supports some public library eBook format, and I guess the Kindle doesn't...yet. Kindle did just add 14-day lending to other Kindle readers, which the Nook has had a while, so they're now equal in that regard.

I cannot believe how crisp, high contrast, and non-glare her Kindle screen is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
I heard today that the battery life on the Nook is 6 hours while the battery life on Kindle is 14 days. Can anyone confirm the Nook battery life?
Quote:
I just got the "Second Generation" Nook about a month ago. The reason really came down to me being a cheapskate. Our library has EPUB books, which work with Sony e-readers, other readers, and Nook, but NOT Kindle which is Amazon.

I've read about 10 books on it, and I love it. I've taken it on planes in my purse, and was able to only take a carry on because I wasn't hauling three books or more- I'm an avid reader and I read about three books per week.

I didn't get the color, as I wanted just a basic e-reader.

The first generation Nook was sort of "buggy"- our library loans a couple, and I just didn't like it. The Second Generation is much smaller with a touch screen, and it's very much nice.

I like the clarity of the screen, the weight, and the simple use. The battery stays charged a long time- I've charged it twice but I've found that if you turn off the wi-fi, the battery lasts much longer (and no reason to have it on if you're not using it). I never actually got lower than about 30%, but I wanted to have it charged up when I traveled so I charged anyway.

The cost was $139, with free shipping. Barnes and Noble online has "free book Fridays" and lots of free books all the time so I have quite a few books on it. Some of the free books are very good choices- and some are not. The nice thing is our library lets you borrow four books at a time, as well as place a hold on three, so I've never been at a loss for reading material!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ended up getting her the Nook. She loves it! I was thinking about getting one, however now I'm looking at an Ipad. I don't read outside and there are a few other things I would like to do with it. May get an Ipad for really cheap. I'll know more tomorrow.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #37
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ended up getting her the Nook. She loves it! I was thinking about getting one, however now I'm looking at an Ipad. I don't read outside and there are a few other things I would like to do with it. May get an Ipad for really cheap. I'll know more tomorrow.
The only reason I would get something else is to browse HBT while reading!

I'm actually glad I can't do anything except read and download books on my Nook, because I spend too much time online as it is.

I just went to Amazon and bought a decent case and a new little book light, as I read in bed every night.

I'm really happy with the Nook, and just got another library book today on it.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #38
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The Second Generation is much smaller with a touch screen, and it's very much nice.
I just re-read my thread bump post. Um, I know I drink but "it's very much nice"? I is able to speak English, I think!

Quick Reply