Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Kill a snake today. Maybe 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
SnaX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kill a snake today. Maybe 2

I saw a snake in my girlfriend's backyard. Someone over there wanted it dead. It could be seen with about 8 inches of its head sticking straight up out of a hole.

They brought me a pellet gun and told me to take care of it. I said, "I'm going to feel bad if I do this. He's not messing with us. He's just doing his snake thing."

Well, I put one through its snake brain.
Then I was on my way over to throw the snake away, when I saw another one by the grape vines.

I shot at that one too, but am unsure If I hit it, and it died in its hole or what.

I feel so bad! They were just gulfer snakes or something.
I should have said no, but they wanted them gone because they have been seeing so many of them in the last couple of days.

I don't even kill insects, unless its a spider (sometimes, or a mosquito or fly)

I just wanted to get that off my chest. Poor little snakey!

(Located in the High-Desert of California.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Eat the snake, it'll make you feel better knowing that it didn't go to waste. Besides, snake is tasty; I know, I've eaten snake several times. You could also tan the skin & make something from it, bury the guts in the garden, along with the bones left over from the dinner table. The web of life remains intact. Regards, GF.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Personally, I think if your girlfriend's family or friends wanted the snake dead, it's up to them to kill it. It just don't seem right to make someone else do something that goes against his grain just so that he can continue to get his nookie!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I hope your gf and her family enjoy mice and other rodents because that's what the snakes were controlling for free...

Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Zul'jin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Two buddies of mine got into a shoving match over snake killing. Would have been a fist fight if me and another hadn't stepped in.

One is kinda hippie like and a reptile lover. The other is Mexican. And now American, as he likes to point out. "Yeah. I es got my green card. You es got jor green card? Maybe I deport you!"

One day, the Mexican was saying he "killed all da nakes he see." The hippie didn't like that. The Mexican insisted that "da nakes" had tried to kill him when he was a boy. They bite him on the arm. "Right here and I almost die!" So now, I es kill all da nakes I see." "No man. That aint right.", the hippie protested, as hippies do. They went back and forth for a bit like that and the Mexican shoved the hippie. The hippie shoved him back, not as hippies do. Next thing, they are in the street and doing the chest bump. Me and 'Hank Hill' stepped in and broke it up before the policia came.

That was the last time we drank Steel Reserve.

Drunking: All kinds of stuff.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Sorry, but I think killing them was dumb (no offense personally). Unless they were poisonous, which doesn't seem likely. They eat a lot of house and lawn/garden pests. I need some more snakes around my house to take care of the moles/voles.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First off... I laughed my ass of at the Mexican Vs. Hippie story! Second, well yeah I'm not much for killing stuff that isn't f-ing with me. Every year our resident garter snakes scare the living crap out of me when I"m doing some yard work and I reach for something and my hand ends up inches from the snake's head... still, while they're there I know I don't have to worry about rodents and stuff... just my 2 cents... Canadian... oh wait, that joke doesn't work anymore...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 05-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Snakes are a good thing, unless they are poisonous. I found one in our yard when I was a kid and went to pick it up. Biggest garter snake I've ever seen! Dam thing reared up and hissed at me! Yep, I left it alone. I know they "can" bite because a kid at camp got two slashes on his finger when he tried to pick one up. Grabbed his finger, and when he pulled it out, the teeth tore his finger.

Luckily for me, we don't have any dangerous snakes in Michigan, except the small rattler, and I don't know how bad they are since they don't really live near me.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I've always lived in areas where there aren't any poisonous snakes, except maybe a few timber rattler up in the mountains. Never seen one, never heard of anyone that has. One of the nice things about living in the northeast.

So, the intellectual side of me says "let them live - they won't harm you! - they'll eat the mice! - snakes are OK!"

The more powerful side of me says "go grab a hoe and chop that damn thing in half!"

I just *hate* snakes. It's stupid and visceral, and I know without any merit... but I hate the damn things.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
SnaX
Recipes 

I saw a spider today. I let it live. You're Welcome.

I'm actually looking at making up a new beer.

Lately, I have been craving the unknown. I want to make a beer so good, that it would satisfy my craving for a lifetime and make me never drink again. And then I want to drink a bunch of it

I'll post it up in the morning. I have been working on this recipe all week after work, and on weekends.

I'm open to suggestions on what everyone has experienced, and I may incorporate some of these if i think it sounds good.

Quick Reply