Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Kid rant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Default Kid rant

So my son's a biter. He went from being the bitten to the biter. Today's the third time we've had to pick him up because he's bitten 3 times in a day.

The teachers say it's because he's more advanced than the other kids in his class. He talks more and is more interested in group play. They think he's bored and irritated that the other kids don't talk to him.

He's not quite 22 months old and tomorrow they're moving him to the 2 year old room, ahead of the rest of his class. If it doesn't stop, he'll probably be kicked out of his daycare.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Oh, that sucks, Cheese. I *think* it's usually just a phase, but I do know that what the teach says is true - most toddlers, especially that you, tend to play individually, not as a group. They play in the same space, but they don't interact with their play. Something we've seen with Cassie, she's just barely starting to become comfortable playing with other kids.

Hopefully, the move to the bigger kids will help. You sure you're not just bragging?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Oh, that sucks, Cheese. I *think* it's usually just a phase, but I do know that what the teach says is true - most toddlers, especially that you, tend to play individually, not as a group. They play in the same space, but they don't interact with their play. Something we've seen with Cassie, she's just barely starting to become comfortable playing with other kids.

Hopefully, the move to the bigger kids will help. You sure you're not just bragging?
Suspended from school three times before he's two is hardly braggable.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Just talked to the wife, she says that the explanation given by the teachers sounds completely plausible and that the move to the older kids' room is a good idea. She's also advocating a zero-tolerance policy. The natural consequence of biting your friends is that you don't get to play with them, you have to be by yourself. Is he biting at home or anywhere else, too?

EDIT: Sorry, I know, this is a "rant," not asking for solutions... just passing along the wife's words of wisdom.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Ours was a biter until he was moved into an older class also. right around 2- 2 1/2. It did get better, but we also scolded him directly about the biting if he tried it when throwing a tantrum.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Just talked to the wife, she says that the explanation given by the teachers sounds completely plausible and that the move to the older kids' room is a good idea. She's also advocating a zero-tolerance policy. The natural consequence of biting your friends is that you don't get to play with them, you have to be by yourself. Is he biting at home or anywhere else, too?

EDIT: Sorry, I know, this is a "rant," not asking for solutions... just passing along the wife's words of wisdom.
Our new house has a park in the back yard. More than anything, he loves playing at the park. He can see it from the living room, through the sliding glass doors and from the 3-seasons room. We tell him that he doesn't get to go to the park if he bites, but that seems to make things worse.

Hopefully the bigger kids will kick his ass back to the no-biting days.

Cool Shirts.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Our new house has a park in the back yard. More than anything, he loves playing at the park. He can see it from the living room, through the sliding glass doors and from the 3-seasons room. We tell him that he doesn't get to go to the park if he bites, but that seems to make things worse.

Hopefully the bigger kids will kick his ass back to the no-biting days.
Natural consequences is key at that age. He bites mommy and daddy, he doesn't get their attention, he has to be by himself. The consequence of "you can't go to the park if you bite" may still be a little bit too abstract for him (although it's amazing what they do understand). In any case, good luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Natural consequences is key at that age. He bites mommy and daddy, he doesn't get their attention, he has to be by himself. The consequence of "you can't go to the park if you bite" may still be a little bit too abstract for him (although it's amazing what they do understand). In any case, good luck!
He also gets "time-outs" and "naughty spot".

Cool Shirts.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
hialtitude
Recipes 

My little guy is a biter too. He's teething and chews on everything possible. 3.5 month old German Shepard

Old 09-28-2007, 03:21 AM   #10
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When he bites, bite him back. He'll learn real quick that biting does not get him the results he was looking for.

Quick Reply