Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > just had a near-miss
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Default just had a near-miss

NOW i understand what that means...

I went to make a u-turn at one of my favorite liquor stores after voting today and i see a sportbike flying at me. i hit the brakes and he panics, hitting the brakes himself. he wasn't able to control the bike and he swerved around a bit before crashing right in front of and to the left of my car.

there was no collision with my car and no one was hurt. the bike was scraped up a bit, but i don't think there was any serious damage (might be expensive, but not serious.)

two cops just happened to be across the street and helped us get out of the road and had us exchange info.

we traded information and i'm going to call both insurance companies first thing in the morning (should i call them now?)

i felt bad for the guy...his bike was a little messed up. he was friendly, but a little upset about that. i'm wondering, tho...can i possibly be held liable for any of this?

only the nose of my car was in the intersection. he had plenty of time to maneuver right through or even switch lanes (but he was afraid i was pulling out.) he probably could have even stopped, but i imagine he was going pretty fast...he came right up on me.

what do ya think? any chance this will come back to haunt me? i'd fight it, for sure (as i'm sure my insurance company will) but what are the chances i even need to worry about it?

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 AM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

is it legal to make a u turn there?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

You should have taken the opportunity to ask the officers, if they witnessed they may have been able to tell you if it was your fault or not. From my own experience (and no offense intended to any sport bike owners on HBT!) but the people riding the sport bikes are ALWAYS speeding. I've never seen one even pretending to obey the law aside from actually being ON the road.

Technically he had the right of way (I assume he was in the oncoming lane) so you were probably the cause of the accident legally. I would definitely call and find out if for no other reason than to get your account of what happened on the record with your insurance company.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Didn't he realize he was dealing with Death?

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was walking in a park with my pregnant wife and one of those guys almost hit us.. he was FLYING.. I wasn't pleased to say the least

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
Elshauno
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My friend was in similiar situation only he go hit He made a left in front of some guy doing 80 and got tossed around his truck. But he was cited for failure to yield. Depending on the officers discretion you will be cited or he will be cited for failure to control. Speeding usually cant be proven unless they got him on radar. Hope that helps

Old 02-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
jas0420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If you didn't get a ticket from it and police were right there, I'd think that you probably have a good argument of it being no-fault.... Your two insurance companies will most likely put up a fight with one another, but I doubt you'll ever hear anything of it. I say this from past experiences only, not professionaly!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's the advantage/disadvantage to living is an "at-fault" state. In Ohio, someone gets a ticket no matter what. That person is the one responsible. period. If your state allows for partial fault, I'd guess that you two will be splitting the bill 50/50. Regardless of his speeding, you weren't paying close enough attention to traffic. So if you ask me it's a wash. I'm just glad no one got hurt. BTW I ride, but I also run out in the street to yell at the a-holes who live at the end of the block who seem to think my 25mph street is their private drag stip.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

and that my friend was a near HIT. If it was a near miss, your paint would be smudged. Hehe, that's a Carlin reference if you didn't pick up on it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #10
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Didn't he realize he was dealing with Death?
apparently he didn't have time to see this sticker on the car:

or maybe he did know and that's what frightened him so

i should have talked to the cop, but dude was right there and in my previous experience it's always best to let the insurance companies handle it and just stay in contact with them.

the cop even asked me if there was a collision. i told him he never touched my car. i thought later that i should have gotten the cops' names. to tell you the truth, i just wanted to make sure dude was ok and then i went to get my brew (lovely Altenmunster Winterbier Dopplebock right now) and have a relaxing smoke.

a friend told me that if there is no collision, then his insurance has to cover it. hope he's right.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Closed Thread

Quick Reply