HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > John Adams Mini series

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default John Adams Mini series

Now I'm no historian but I consider myself reasonably well read and middlin' average in my understanding of history. That being said, I am finding HBO's new mini series about John Adams and the American Revolution to be exceptionally well done.

Paul Giamatti portrays a tormented man who firmly believes in the rule of law and the inalienable rights of men. His John Adams goes reluctantly to the Revolution and, despite his reluctance to leave the Empire, finds himself unable to take any course but that which leads him to support war.

It's compelling. Powerful.

I heartily suggest that each of you, especially those of you who are not American, watch it.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I saw the trailers for it and really wanted to catch it. I'll be sure to add it to the DVR. thanks kornkob

Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I'm working on the sound for this series, as I type this, and have seen it in it's entirety. (Several times actually!) It's quite good, and it's interesting to see the founding fathers represented as flesh and blood, instead of just portraits on our currency!

While my non-disclosure agreement prevents me from revealing too much about the show, I can say one thing...we do win the war!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
I'm working on the sound for this series, as I type this, and have seen it in it's entirety. (Several times actually!) It's quite good, and it's interesting to see the founding fathers represented as flesh and blood, instead of just portraits on our currency!

While my non-disclosure agreement prevents me from revealing too much about the show, I can say one thing...we do win the war!
That is cool! What do you actually do with the sound?

I haven't watched the first 2 episodes yet, but they are definitely on the DVR. I actually just ordered HBO for this series. It looks great.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-19-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm glad it's good. I hope it comes out on DVD. Principle prevents me from paying for HBO & Showtime for the trash they show at other times.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
That is cool! What do you actually do with the sound?
Among other things, our shop does the final audio quality control screening for probably 95% of HBO original content. Personally, I check their music and sound effects tracks to make sure they are ready for alternate language dubbing, and correct any deficiencies I find. Once they're dubbed into Spanish, we master the final audio elements, combining both English surround and Spanish stereo audio into one digital bitstream.

We also do most of the syndication and airline recuts for HBO original content, making them "safe" for those distressed by a little nudity or language.

I'm quite proud of my long (fifteen years now) affiliation with HBO. While I don't like everything they air, they are also responsible for creating some of the very finest content ever aired on television. Examples include, The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Larry Sanders Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Extras, The Wire, etc. I'm honored to have had a minor role in bringing all of these shows to the air...I don't have any part in creating them, but I help make sure they make it to the audience intact!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
CEMaine
Recipes 

Default Did you know

He was a barley grower? His father was a maltster?

I have read most of the biographies of Adams. He was amazingly complex.

No matter how much I miss my target, I still make beer.
DBM

Primary 1 - Nada
Primary 2 - Zip
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - Ocean House Coffee Porter
Kegged - Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011
Bottled -
Drinking - Oak Pond Somerset Lager, October Fest & Nut Brown. Ocean House Coffee Porter. Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I liked the subtle accuracies that I guess you'd know if you read the book (I didn't).

Mod Edit: Fixed the spoiler for you in white text.

Spoiler: Like Ceaser Rodney showing up at the last minute to cast his vote. He rode from Wilmington, DE to Philly in a thuderstorm on horseback and arrived wet and muddy. Also, the wrap around his head is due to his face cancer (had to look that up on wiki).

Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

We've got the DVR set up to record this, I can't wait to start watching it as I really enjoyed the book when it came out a few years ago.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
vmpolesov
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
We also do most of the syndication and airline recuts for HBO original content, making them "safe" for those distressed by a little nudity or language.
I've noticed airline recuts leave out any imagery of crashing aircraft. For example I saw the movie "Dante's Peak" on an airplane, and the scene with the crashing helicopter was absent.

Back on topic, does the series cover the letter writing correspondence that Jefferson and Adams carried out in later years?

Quick Reply