Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Job Satisfaction-with Survey

View Poll Results: Rate your job satisfaction
Love It 59 46.46%
Hate It 13 10.24%
Not my ideal job, but it's OK 34 26.77%
It pays the bills 14 11.02%
Other 7 5.51%
I'd like to work with Ralph Nader 0 0%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #21
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Seven years ago I hated my job. So I started over, and took an electrical apprenticeship. Now I love it. I get to build things, troubleshoot, I get to be outside most of the time, and I don't do weekends anymore, except in extreme circumstances.

Like the old proverb says, he who loves his job shall never work again.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #22
the_Roqk

Recipes 

My response was "I love my job". Actually I should have put "other". Only because of being on the rescue truck has gotten very mundane. After hurting my back lifting people up and trying to rehab it back in shape. I have gotten to the point of not wanting to do the Fire/Rescue thing. It's been 19 years and I believe I'm gun shy when it comes to lifting anything heavier than a homebrew.

But I have found over the years that what makes your job worthwhile is the people that you work with that make it enjoyable. Even after all the BS calls and the False Alarms. It's usually nice to be able sit down and have a laugh with all the guys at the station. We have 12 Firefighters at my station with 12 distinct personalities. A lot of fun when we're not running calls. I might be giving that all up after January. There are two Fire Inspector/Arson Investigator openings, and I have applied for one. I hope I get it so that I won't have to pick anyone else up and screw my back up again. After all of that, I still like my job!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #23
knarfks
Recipes 

I voted love my job. I'm an ICU nurse. Most of the time it is very rewarding with a little excitement. The only problem is the wiping A$$

But where else would I be running down a hall backwards bagging a woman so she could breath while another person is pumping on her chest to keep her alive. See a person on the brink of death, then watch them get better and get out of the hospital.

There are bad days, many of them, but they seem to equal out with the good typically.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 AM   #24
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

I said "It pays the Bills".

But honestly I do love what I do. I'm a union carpenter. I've been swinging a haammer since I was 4 years old. I'm a 4th year apprentice right now. I think I'll enjoy it a little more once I Journey out. Best case scenario, I land a foreman position someday and get to drop my tool-bags and just wear a radio.

But this all just a stepping stone to my Ultimate Goal of Owning/Operating a brewery

Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #25
somecallmetim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pays the bills.

I'm a Maintance Tech in a plastics factory, The first couple of years were sorta interesting, learning something new, but I've kinda settled in. I keep telling myself I need to go back to school, but to be honest I'm pretty durnd lazy...

On Tap - Haus Ale, Baltic Porter.
Fermenting- SNPA Clone, Half Wit

Old 12-18-2007, 04:22 AM   #26
Fish
Recipes 

All of the above. I work for myself from home. And I love and hate my job most hours of the day. When I get work I usually get many jobs at once (just coincidence but thats the way it happens) and it usually a rush. This last week I have been working till 1 am the project is due Wed and it has not been finished designing. I have clients I really like and some I cannot stand, and some I really don't trust. And I have some that have extended payment policies that make it so they think they don't have to pay me for +- 3 months. My work does consist of the coolest combination of art and technology so thats great. And I am almost always challenged.

Primary : Fruit Cider
Secondary :empty

Bottled: Wheat
On Deck: Mead

Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #27
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I'm in grad school right now -it's never ending and pays almost nothing. I do like the research though and it's a necessary step to get the job that I do really want.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #28
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

"It's ok" here. I don't think I could ever LOVE any job. Once anything becomes a job, it becomes far less enjoyable.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #29
Air Pirate

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9
I put love it, only because you would have to be crazy to keep teaching middle school if you didn't love it (I certainly don't do it for the pay ).
now that is a job that takes a lot.

i was a sub for a while and there was no way i could have ever gone full time.

I put i love it. because i do. sure there is bs but that happens with every job.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #30
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Seven years ago I hated my job. So I started over, and took an electrical apprenticeship. Now I love it. I get to build things, troubleshoot, I get to be outside most of the time, and I don't do weekends anymore, except in extreme circumstances.

Like the old proverb says, he who loves his job shall never work again.

Did you serve a state indentured apprenticeship??? I see you are in Wisconsin, not sure were though. I work at GE in West Milwaukee, near Miller Park and they are currently looking to hire 3 electricians (that I know of), preferably with controls/PLC experience but you MUST have served a state indentured apprenticeship to even qualify.
If you know controls and like to build and design equipment you would love this place and the pay isn't half bad either.

Quick Reply