Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Job Hunting Sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Job Hunting Sucks

Well, I've been "unemployed" for awhile. I put it in quotes because I've been keeping quite busy with numerous endeavors- general counsel for a start-up software company, writing a book, developing a negotiations theory for another book, riding my motorcycle, doing a little tiny bit of immigration law, building an experimental aircraft wing, and a few other things. But lately, I've gotten the itch to, you know, actually have a real job that pays me money.

When I first left my old job, I was all gung-ho about going back into law, but the more I thought about it, I couldn't bear the bull**** of a small practice. Hell, my last boss had been practicing law for three years when she hired me and she continually astounded me by her lack of knowledge of simple matters. I'd be drafting an estate plan for a guy with millions of dollars and she'd refuse to "bother" him to find out what he was worth so I could plan effectively. It was a freakin guessing game all the time. So I left.

And now I've been out for awhile and want to do something. ANYTHING. But can't seem to get my foot in the door. I'm over qualified for most things, and underqualified for everything else. Ideally I'd love to find a position that was sort of a jack-of-all-trades position. I'm sort of a renaissance man. But those positions don't exist.

So where the heck does a guy with a tiny bit of corporate tax experience, immigration law experience, estate planning, real estate, business law, and liquor control law work? Especially when he's equally interested in metal and composite fabrication, homebrewing, motorcycles, masonry and stone restoration, architecture, aviation manufacturing, etc etc etc go to find a decent job in the Chicago area?

I even thought about calling Bells up. Heard they're having problems with their Illinois distributor and I, uhhh, have a few thoughts about how to rectify that situation, but hell. I'm a nobody.

Anyways, Sorry. I guess it's just a vent here. I'm sorta pissed off these days....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Job Hunting Sucks....hmmm, what are you using for bait?

Seems to me all those experiences should land you close to the Arizona/New Mexico border. There's gonna be a lot of new Mexican-Americans who won't know how to fill out their new tax forms or file for Social Security benefits. Habla Espanole?

Old 11-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Job Hunting Sucks....hmmm, what are you using for bait?
Umm... maybe some homebrew *hic* Hey... It never hurts to complain.

Supposedly there's a brewpub opening up near me, but they keep pushing back the opening date. Thought I should apply there... but it's a big question mark as to when they will open.

Nope. No espanol. No real interest in immigration law either, just a fair bit of experience. My downfall was the fact that I have always been involved with small businesses where multiple skillsets are useful. Unfortunately, they rarely transfer over well from job to job.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I hate job hunting. If the current start-up doesn't work out, I'll be faced with moving to get a regular job, but by that time my main skill set will be two computer generations old. At least law doesn't get outdated, the layers just keep piling up.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

What kind of start up are you involved in, david? The company I'm working with a little is involved in employee training software...

Old 11-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

How "comfortable" are you? Where in the Chi-Town area are you? You could always look to invest in a company where you have some controls. Or you could look to buy out a LHBS and differentiate yourself by offering custom brew sculptures or other fabrication. There's still money to be made in house flipping.

Plenty of immigration work needed in the NW burbs. In fact, you could find MA's looking for citizenship and have them help you rehab houses in return for free or discounted Immigration help.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply