Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Jeep Replacement Tops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Toilet Rocker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Jeep Replacement Tops

Has anyone had to replace their Jeep top? I'm looking at some of Bestop's replacements and am leaning towards the Sailcloth...just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on replacements. I definitely want to keep a rag top on it, and don't want to go too $$$--this one seems like a dependable middle ground top. My current one is losing thread and tabs everywhere, not to mention the small hole it has. Thanks.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have much experience with this.

DO NOT skimp on the top. Don't buy from Pavement Ends or any of those places. Bestop is actually the OEM manufacturer so you can use the same hardware frame you have from your old top. I wouldn't skimp on the sailcloth either--the newer sailcloth tops are arguably as quiet as a hard top.

www.Quadratec.com will match any online price you find--and depending on where you are, shipping is pretty fast.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I have much experience with this.

DO NOT skimp on the top. Don't buy from Pavement Ends or any of those places. Bestop is actually the OEM manufacturer so you can use the same hardware frame you have from your old top. I wouldn't skimp on the sailcloth either--the newer sailcloth tops are arguably as quiet as a hard top.

www.Quadratec.com will match any online price you find--and depending on where you are, shipping is pretty fast.

Bestop recommendation seconded.
And while we're on the topic always choose Tuffy over Iron Horse or BestTop when choosing lockable consoles and replacement glove box.

I also feel that Wet Okole has the best seat covers and in this case you can beat Quadratec by going to the manufaturer directly. http://www.wetokole.com/ They have an office in Costa Mesa, Ca as well as the Hawaiian HQ.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info, guys. I was going to order from whitney, but for $20 less, I can even get tinted windows in a sailcloth from quadratec.

Great "name" there olllllo. Very cool.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I'll vote for the Bestop replacement top as well. As far as sailcloth goes, I've heard they are just as quiet as a hard top but if you want to make sure then you could test drive a new TJ as they come equipped with the sailcloth tops. I've recently replaced my top with one I bought off of EBAY for $250 (Smittybuilt) and the quality doesn't stack up to Bestop. That old adage "you get what you pay for."

Old 09-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Watch out on those Bestops. I bought a Bestop soft top kit for my Jeep and I was nothing but disappointed with it.

First off, you have to install A LOT of hardware to get it on. If you're like me and have a hard-top also, you then have to remove all the hardware to put the hard-top back on. You can't have both hard and soft on at the same time like you can with a true Jeep soft top.

Also, the soft-top didn't fit right at all.

I didn't even bother putting on the softtop this summer, I just kept the hard-top on. I'm really disappointed with the POS.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Watch out on those Bestops. I bought a Bestop soft top kit for my Jeep and I was nothing but disappointed with it.

First off, you have to install A LOT of hardware to get it on. If you're like me and have a hard-top also, you then have to remove all the hardware to put the hard-top back on. You can't have both hard and soft on at the same time like you can with a true Jeep soft top.

Also, the soft-top didn't fit right at all.

I didn't even bother putting on the softtop this summer, I just kept the hard-top on. I'm really disappointed with the POS.
Cheese, I think there must be a big difference between the OEM replacement tops and the top that comes with its' own hardware. I had no problems replacing my OEM replacement top.

On a side note: After the numerous break-ins and window slashing I would prefer to have a hard top anyway.

my .02

Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
Cheese, I think there must be a big difference between the OEM replacement tops and the top that comes with its' own hardware. I had no problems replacing my OEM replacement top.

On a side note: After the numerous break-ins and window slashing I would prefer to have a hard top anyway.

my .02
Yeah, the OEM top is very different from the Bestop soft top. If you're just looking for a replacement cloth, then I'd suppose the Bestop would work. If you're looking for an entire ST system, spend the extra $400 and buy the Jeep brand top. The Bestop system is really THAT bad.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Yeah, the OEM top is very different from the Bestop soft top. If you're just looking for a replacement cloth, then I'd suppose the Bestop would work. If you're looking for an entire ST system, spend the extra $400 and buy the Jeep brand top. The Bestop system is really THAT bad.
The jeep brand is the same as Bestop. Bestop actually manufactures the OEM tops that you get on a brand new Jeep.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
The jeep brand is the same as Bestop. Bestop actually manufactures the OEM tops that you get on a brand new Jeep.
Then why is the Bestop so different?

Look at this: http://www.bestop.com/installation_guides/51713.pdf

Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply