Jeep help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any trouble with their crankshaft position sensor on their inline 6 4.0L? Mine has steadily been driving rougher and rougher (but until this morning, only at cruising RPM. Idle and Hard Accel have been fine).

Most of the problems I've read about online indicate the CKP sensor causes the vehicle to simple not want to start.

I guess it's a moot point as I already ordered one from the local parts store, but I wonder why they can't tell you which sensor is actually bad in the diagnostic device.

Also, I've read about several methods of pulling the trouble codes from dodge and Jeep vehicles, but none of them seem to work on my 99. I've tried the classic 3-times-on ignition switch method, and the hold the trip meter while turning the key on method (I get the instrument panel test mode, but no trouble codes).

In '96 and later vehicles, the trouble codes are OBDII compliant, and they can't be read using by cycling the ignition switch and counting MIL flashes like earlier models. You need a diagnostic tool to pull codes.

I had to change the CPS a few years ago on my 02 Wrangler. Just wouldn't start one day.... fixed the problem

most auto zones will hook up a OBOII computer and pull the code for free.

A friend of mine with a 96 was able to pull codes by switching the ignition. I've also read of newer vehicles being able to with the holding the trip meter while putting key into run position.

I had been getting codes pulled from the parts store downtown. The error message on their reader doesn't say which of those two sensors was not reading. I took a chance on the Crank, hoping to not have to pull the distributor, but alas, it still runs bad and so I'm having to pull it anyway. At least I can see the wear on the dist. gear now.

Just funny how it runs poorly at mid-rpm range, and not at idle or hard accel.

It was a bad wire connection. I replaced the cam sensor and still had the problem. Deducted that I was down to wire issue and tested continuity from each sensor to the plug on the computer (luckily it's in the engine compartment) and found no problems. Plugged it all back in and it ran great. Serves me right I supposed. Should have checked the free options first instead of paying:

$80 - Oxygen Sensor (needed anyway)
$100 - Crank Sensor
$50 - Cam Sensor

Still, it's been paid for for a long time now, so overall, I have not not spent much, and I also now have spares of those parts.

I picked up an 04 Grand Cherokee from some family friends because it was a screaming deal. I will never buy another Jeep again. From day 1 - it just feels like it's going to fall apart.

They are notorious for throttle position sensors going out. I had a cherokee with a TPS switch out and an O2 sensor out and a vacuum leak...it ran, but I was around 6 miles per gallon on gas.

I just wanted to toss in that I miss my 87 Cherokee Pioneer. That 4.0L I6 engine is a monster. Hit 250k and was still going strong before it was just donated to charity. Some milk had spilled in the trunk and yeeeah, it was a beater at that point. It had the most comfortable seats though. How many SUVs now have a REAL low range? Put that bad boy into 4WL in 1st gear and you could pull a house out of the ground. Ahh such fond memories.

I picked up an 04 Grand Cherokee from some family friends because it was a screaming deal. I will never buy another Jeep again. From day 1 - it just feels like it's going to fall apart.

Has it broke down? Which motor does it have? I can agree that they start to sound and feel a little worn after a while, but except for the U-joints, they hold together pretty good. Can't speak for the 4-cylinder, or the V8, but that Inline 6 is a stout motor. Generally easy to work on and lots of torque.

I'm not sure I'd buy a newer Liberty, but I love my Cherokee. I'd like to have a wrangler, but it's not practical with a family to haul around.

Back