Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!



Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Jake Keeler and Michael Dawson Leave Northern Brewer
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #51
Capn_Bill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Capn_Bill's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilmington, VT
Posts: 55
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Chip left also?? I thought he stayed.

__________________

Primary:
Secondary: Broken Hose PB Stout, Broken Hose Vanilla Maple Bourbon Stout
Bottled:

On Deck: Broken Hose DIPA

Capn_Bill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #52
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 870
Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Bill View Post
Chip left also?? I thought he stayed.
Yep.

http://chopandbrew.com/
__________________
aygov is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #53
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb1007 View Post
Just has been my experience that these firms require large returns for their investments which requires freeing up cash, the easiest way to free up cash is by payroll cuts, especially higher level employees.
That's a good point, but if I'm not mistaken, Dawson was also high in the marketing department for NB. Seeing as NB relies heavily on marketing compared to say, Midwest, I don't know if he'd be one they'd look to get rid of.

I'm not saying NB changing hands didn't play into this, but NB opened a new store in Mpls and updated the old store in St. P. Around the same time as this changing of the guard happened. They also seem to have increased the number of employees on the floor at both. Doesn't sound like budget cuts were at the top of this new firm's list.

I dunno, personally, I've been enjoying Chip's blog. Dawson and Keeler have new blogs too that are good reads, but Chip is diving right into the heart of what we love; beer and food. I really don't care about the "why's", it sucks to see BTV become a thing of the past, but I think all three dudes still have a lot to contribute to the home brewing community.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #54
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shooter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Posts: 4,476
Liked 239 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

I've been following all three of their blogs since I discovered them. Keeler's is a text and picture blog only so far, brewing/beer stuff along with quite a bit about his art endeavors. Dawson's is pretty much beer and brewing related. He puts up some occasional short videos. Chip's is just getting off the ground, but I'm looking forward to future videos and am interested to see what he includes from the food side.

__________________

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Shooter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #55
bbb1007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I could be wrong in my assessment . But I believe the Minneapolis store opened a few months before the equity firms arrival and the departure of these guys was about 6 months after. Timing is very odd. Adding salespeople really means nothing, as a marketing director's(Keeeler I thing was in this position) cost is an order of magnitude higher. Also who leaves a good job when they do not have a new one waiting?

__________________
bbb1007 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #56
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 503
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter
I've been following all three of their blogs since I discovered them. Keeler's is a text and picture blog only so far, brewing/beer stuff along with quite a bit about his art endeavors. Dawson's is pretty much beer and brewing related. He puts up some occasional short videos. Chip's is just getting off the ground, but I'm looking forward to future videos and am interested to see what he includes from the food side.
Can you post the links? Love to follow them
__________________
FlyDoctor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #57
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 503
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Before we all totally trash NB, remember they sponsor the Jamil shows for years - that gets my business if nothing else.

__________________
FlyDoctor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #58
bbb1007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
Before we all totally trash NB, remember they sponsor the Jamil shows for years - that gets my business if nothing else.
I do not think this is a reason to stop purchasing at NB if they have what you need at the best competitive price. I will keep on buying there almost exclusively as their St Paul store is just a few blocks away from my house, they are my local HBS. Still a great place to buy what I need for me. I never really bought from them because of BTV , but the fact that they would spend money on something like that did make me feel good about the management at NB. Do not have that same feeling any more. If you are looking for a big online place that gives back to the brewing community I would say More Beer is now way ahead of NB. If you want to support a small family bushiness always go to your local home brew shop before one of the larger online stores!
__________________
bbb1007 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #59
JollyIsTheRoger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northwest Indiana/Chicago
Posts: 522
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb1007 View Post

I do not think this is a reason to stop purchasing at NB if they have what you need at the best competitive price. I will keep on buying there almost exclusively as their St Paul store is just a few blocks away from my house, they are my local HBS. Still a great place to buy what I need for me. I never really bought from them because of BTV , but the fact that they would spend money on something like that did make me feel good about the management at NB. Do not have that same feeling any more. If you are looking for a big online place that gives back to the brewing community I would say More Beer is now way ahead of NB. If you want to support a small family bushiness always go to your local home brew shop before one of the larger online stores!
Echoing this, always support the local store unless they aren't a good place or you don't have one. There is no reason to buy online if there is a homebrew store 15 min away, even if you are going to spend a few dollars more.
__________________

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

JollyIsTheRoger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #60
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 503
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyIsTheRoger

Echoing this, always support the local store unless they aren't a good place or you don't have one. There is no reason to buy online if there is a homebrew store 15 min away, even if you are going to spend a few dollars more.
Agree - though I will not change a recipe just because myLHBS does not have something - then I order from NB. Also, equipment purchases I always do for NB. I'm in MN, so given the options online I always go with NB.
__________________
FlyDoctor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have a promo code for Northern Brewer - current one, that is! LouT General Chit Chat 10 02-27-2012 08:52 PM
Northern Brewer kits Ryan12 General Chit Chat 2 02-09-2012 03:05 AM
Vestax Typhoon - DJ Jake! haha jakecpunut General Chit Chat 0 02-25-2011 01:58 PM
Northern Brewer Store - Milwaukee Pumbaa General Chit Chat 4 08-08-2010 08:56 PM
Hey, I found a northern brewer $10 gift certificate. Donasay General Chit Chat 3 10-27-2008 09:24 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS