Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #691
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

GUYS, haven't you been reading the comments? I appreciate all the good wishes.

But I had the surgery A YEAR AGO THIS WEEK!!! I survived!!!!

So no RHAMILTON, you can't have my stuff.

But there is an irony in all this. You all should know, by the nickname, and the comment about the harley (which I don't ride, that was just a comment in the tap room) that I'm a minister (and a cool one despite not having a harley.)

What some of you may know is that I haven't done active church ministry like 7 years (I had a run in with church politics that left a bad taste in my mouth) I haven't preached in a church in 5 years. I've just done weddings a funerals for the most part, and avoided church.

Well I helped one of my mentor ministers who had a run in with church politics himself and lost his church job, start a church in Detroit. We've been doing it since the first week in December. John is the sr minister and I pretty much have just done behind the scenes work.

Well John decided to take a couple weeks off and head down to Florida, so this Sunday and next I'm coming out of preaching retirement and actually do the service an delivering the sermons....It's been a long time, and I'm really rusty.

At my best I could do a sermon of the top of my head with just the barest outline, now I had to basically write a complete script that I've been reading and re reading to get as much of it in memory as I can. So I can just hopefully glance down on occasion....

But anyway, I didn't realize til this morning that I'll be doing it for the first time on the anniversary of my surgery...there's some ironic karma here that I haven't figured out yet.

But I'm pretty nervous again anyway.

The cool thing is that a few HBTers are coming out in support, and we're going to the MotorCity Brew Works so I can decompress over a couple pints of Ghetto Blaster after.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #692
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Wait, you're going to deliver a sermon and have surgery on the same day?!?!!? You are one tough hombre Revvy!!!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #693
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's like riding a bike -- it'll be awkward initially but you'll be surprised how quickly you get back into a rhythm and relax.

My dad had valve replacement in December and ran into lots of complications and almost didn't make it; but he called me today to let me know his cardiologist and surgeon both fully released him today and he'll be visiting this week - and I have plenty of homebrew for him to try

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #694
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2710

Now on THAT I will give you unironic well-wishes. For whatever reason I never thought of being a minister/reverend as being the same as any job, but it really is, with a boss (both human and other-worldly), deadlines etc. I just started a very secular new job, and I had a lot of the same fears.

I drink scotch when I get home usually though ;-).

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #695
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Now on THAT I will give you unironic well-wishes. For whatever reason I never thought of being a minister/reverend as being the same as any job, but it really is, with a boss (both human and other-worldly), deadlines etc. I just started a very secular new job, and I had a lot of the same fears.

I drink scotch when I get home usually though ;-).
And I have a secular day job as well. Not like a full time minister who runs a church and gets to take monday off after preaching. I still have to put my other hat on and go back to work for 40 hours.

Not doing church ministry for all these years I had my weekends off like normal folks...Now, really Saturdays are my only free day...and since I'm preaching the next two weeks, even part of that day will be devoted to practicing my talk and stuff.

Luckily the medschool goes on Spring break mid week next week and goes through the following week, after these two sundays I'm taking the 1st and 2nd of march off....Hopefully I can get a brew day in on one of them....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #696
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I presee your surgery being put off till the 22nd. So enjoy tomorrow 1 year ago.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #697
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
GUYS, haven't you been reading the comments? I appreciate all the good wishes.

But I had the surgery A YEAR AGO THIS WEEK!!! I survived!!!!
Oh, and good luck with your surgery, Revvy! We're with ya man!

bahahahaha

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #698
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You should totally get a Harley.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #699
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't know how it is that I'm just now reading this thread!!! Revvy, good luck and Godspeed to you brother. I look forward to reading your "I'm recovering quite nicely" posts.

-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #700
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

:d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Quick Reply