Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #591
Memorex88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Happy to see your still around and doing good!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #592
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Ok, I was feeling pretty good until I went into the doctor's office today. Now I'm freaked out even though she never said anything was wrong. She wants to do a stress test next week and an echo the week after and until then she doesn't want me doing any OT, no heavy lifting, lay off the exercise, etc.

She says she just wants to rule anything out, but now I'm freaked and paranoid and my anxiety level is through the roof. I know how you felt the first few days after you got your nose busted!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #593
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Ok, I was feeling pretty good until I went into the doctor's office today. Now I'm freaked out even though she never said anything was wrong. She wants to do a stress test next week and an echo the week after and until then she doesn't want me doing any OT, no heavy lifting, lay off the exercise, etc.

She says she just wants to rule anything out, but now I'm freaked and paranoid and my anxiety level is through the roof. I know how you felt the first few days after you got your nose busted!
Saying not wanting to rule anything out, and saying somethings wrong are two different things. Did she give you any idea antrhing was wrong?

Don't freak out buddy. But do find out the doc's mindset. No doc is ever the same, some do believe in lots of tests to be thorough, so it may be nothing. It's just a lot to tell you for supposedly nothing.

Keep me posted.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #594
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, part of it was my family history, she kept saying. Both my grandfathers died of heart attacks before age 50. Plus I just quit smoking 6 months ago after smoking for most of 20 years. She would go so far as to say that the tests so far don't show any damage done to my heart. But then she prescribed nitro tablets "just in case".

Talked to my mom and she's convinced the doc was just covering herself so she doesn't get sued if I have a heart attack between now and when I get the tests down and there was something hidden.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #595
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Chshre, you are on the right track. I've had numerous tests over the years where it turned out there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. If there is something wrong, better to deal with it sooner, rather than later. Still, I get freaked out every time I visit the doctor. My blood pressure soars when I'm there. I take my blood pressure at home every month or so and relay those readings to the doc so he knows that it's not always that high. I HATE going to the doctor, but I do it, because it's the right thing to do. I bet you're just fine.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #596
charliec
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Chshre, First off, relax and take a deep breath. Keep your doctor's appointments and get those tests, Family history is what it is.
I had five heart attacks before I figured out what was going on. I was to stubborn to believe that I could bee having heart problems.
That got five stents I don't mess around anymore, if something doesn't feel right, off to the ER! Long story short I've gotten Four more since 2006 and now I have nine in there.
Not trying to scare you brother but your ticker ain't no joke.
Keep us informed we care, realy!

Primary 1: Crystal Springs Kolsh
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Stone Ruination Clone : Cream of Three crops
On deck: Crystal Springs "Sticke" Alt

Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #597
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Treadmill test in the am. So weird thinking that I'm going to have something radioactive injected into me...

Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #598
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 230

They did that to me when they were checking my arrhythmia out. I think it was 'thalium'. It kinda felt like I just pounded a couple 2xIPA's. I think I'm back to 'normal' by now but that's a relative term. You got a bunch of homebrewers on your side so don't sweat it!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #599
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

You gotta go get checked out! My dad was "very healthy" for having smoked all of his adult life. he had a decent stress test and had just gotten word that he had the beginning stages of COPD, but otherwise felt ok.

He had complained of a bit of heartburn that didn't seem to go away with antacids and the doctor prescribed some different anti-acid medication. He was actually having small heart attacks and died a few days later while helping out at a nearby restaurant. He was only 58.

Knowing my family history (his brother also smoked and was basically brought back from the dead after HIS heart attack about 10 years ago, grandpa had a couple of heart issues, other grandpa died in his 50s from heart attack...) I am well aware that I should not smoke, and I have my doctor keeping an eye on stuff closely. If I'm lucky, most of the family problems were caused by smoking, not by genentics.

Yeah, and I hear that having a drink or two a day can help, so I'm doing that as well

Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #600
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Chesire, it'll be fine. Try not to stress out about it, they're gonna stress you plenty during the test. That's why it's called a stress test.

So it's day two back to work. I was SO exhausted last night, I slept like the dead. And evidently from 8pm on while watching the Tiger's Game with my GF evidently I would just start snoring on the couch.

M-W-F are going to be tough days, I switched my rehab to the first session @ 6:30 am, I need to get it done in an hour then race to my GF's place to take a shower and try to be out the door by 8am so I can be in work at 8:30.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply