Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #531
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanksbrewer View Post
I will be brewing up a couple batches of beer as soon as the 1 pound of caramel 10 L get here that my dog ate LOL
I hope you are waiting on UPS to deliver and not the dog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #532
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is cool....In the packet of stuff from the re-hab nurse is a rundown on my cholesterol and measures to improve it. My HDL is 36 and for men it should be above 40. Under the section of "Measures to improve it," it says-

Quote:
Low saturated fat diet, excercise, weightloss, smoking cessations.

2 drinks/day
And a drink is considered
12 oz of beer
5 ounces of wine
1.5 ounces of 80 proof liquor.
Anyone wanna go out for a shot and a beer with me...A DAY?

Fyi my numbers are pretty good.

Cholesterol (Desirable numbers LDL ( HDL (> 40) Mine 36
Triglyceride (

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #533
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2276 Times on 1622 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
This is cool....In the packet of stuff from the re-hab nurse is a rundown on my cholesterol and measures to improve it. My HDL is 36 and for men it should be above 40. Under the section of "Measures to improve it," it says-

Triglyceride (
I'm in! I too noticed that my numbers went better after I started having a drink or two a day. My doctor went from mention the possibility of cholesterol and BP meds to being upset that he couldn't find anything wrong!

And this was BEFORE I started on a diet and exercise program!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #534
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Triglyceride (

I WISH I had those numbers!!! I workout religiously and while, not on a completely no fat diet, am sensible about what I eat, but, I swear, I can snack on an apple and raise my cholesterol.

Doc: "Your cholesterol's up a little, did you eat today?"

Me: "Yes."

Doc: "Well, there's your problem!"

Me:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #535
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2276 Times on 1622 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I WISH I had those numbers!!! I workout religiously and while, not on a completely no fat diet, am sensible about what I eat, but, I swear, I can snack on an apple and raise my cholesterol.

Doc: "Your cholesterol's up a little, did you eat today?"

Me: "Yes."

Doc: "Well, there's your problem!"

Me:
LOL!! He may have been talking about fasting before having your blood drawn.

I had borderline cholesterol and my doctor was starting to pitch some drugs. I told him no way. I'll try a diet and exercise first. Starting with addign more beer to the diet!

But my actual diet change was simply less starches and other crabs, especially sugar, and more meat and lots more veggies and fruits.

And I'm not convinced that having cholesterol in your bloodstream automatically makes your arteries clogged. You have a very large amount of cholesterol in your blood all your life. If cholesterol in your bloodstream really clogged your arteries, we'd all be dead by now. I think there are other factors involved, and of course some people are more prone to having heart disease than others, no matter their diet.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #536
McGreen
Recipes 

Wow, just read up on this. Glad you are recovering well. Keep us posted!

Not trying to push the envelope on this site, but I am a Christian pastor and it's not only what I believe, but also what I do for a living, so I'll be praying for you Rev.

I love your insight on this. Thanks for befriending me via this forum and for all your help!

Sláinte!

Currently working at the Port Jeff Brewing Co. in Port Jefferson, NY - check us out on the web:
www.portjeffbrewing.com

FV 1: Imperial Stout
FV 2: Irish Red (Secondary)
FV 3: Empty

Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Christmas Ale, Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Irish Stout, Hefeweizen, Blueberry Hefe, Belgian Style Summer Ale, Guinness Clone, American Light, Irish Red, Whiskey-Barrel Stout, Honey Stout

On Deck: Kolsch-Style Lager

Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #537
McGreen
Recipes 

BTW, it sucks you can't have a brew. For that I'm most sorry.

I have a pretty terrible heart murmur, hole about the size of a pinhole in one of the valves. I hope it doesn't lead to what you are going through, but at least I see the possibilities. Did you have a history with valve problems and/or murmur? I don't know your whole story.

Sláinte!

Currently working at the Port Jeff Brewing Co. in Port Jefferson, NY - check us out on the web:
www.portjeffbrewing.com

FV 1: Imperial Stout
FV 2: Irish Red (Secondary)
FV 3: Empty

Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Christmas Ale, Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Irish Stout, Hefeweizen, Blueberry Hefe, Belgian Style Summer Ale, Guinness Clone, American Light, Irish Red, Whiskey-Barrel Stout, Honey Stout

On Deck: Kolsch-Style Lager

Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #538
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
LOL!! He may have been talking about fasting before having your blood drawn.

I had borderline cholesterol and my doctor was starting to pitch some drugs. I told him no way. I'll try a diet and exercise first. Starting with addign more beer to the diet!

But my actual diet change was simply less starches and other crabs, especially sugar, and more meat and lots more veggies and fruits.

And I'm not convinced that having cholesterol in your bloodstream automatically makes your arteries clogged. You have a very large amount of cholesterol in your blood all your life. If cholesterol in your bloodstream really clogged your arteries, we'd all be dead by now. I think there are other factors involved, and of course some people are more prone to having heart disease than others, no matter their diet.
Well, that wasn't an actual conversation mind you, I do fast prior to blood tests. I've been taking fish oil tablet religiously the past few months and they've been a big help.

The cholesterol drugs alway concern me. I'm a bit worried about taking them along with alcohol. They say a couple drinks a day is fine and I can do that, but what about the occasional beer festival? Are those now forbidden?!?! Anyway, lets just say if it comes to that, I will have a lot of questions for the doctor and would probably try to restrict my already restricted diet even more to avoid them as long as possible.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #539
manhattanksbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default here we go again

well my blood tests today once again revealed my cumiden lvl was to high here we go again they said to quit taking it for 2 days like last time which made it way to low and wound me up back in hospital LOL!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #540
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanksbrewer View Post
well my blood tests today once again revealed my cumiden lvl was to high here we go again they said to quit taking it for 2 days like last time which made it way to low and wound me up back in hospital LOL!!!
Man that sucks. Sorry buddy, that was the biggest reason I opted for a pigs valve, and not the artificial, that and the fact that my surgeon even advised against it for the same reasons, plus natural valves last as long as artificial these days, and even if it didn't in a couple years these procedures will be non invasive and no-big deal like they are now.

So what happens while you are "detoxing" from the cumaden? Do you feel sick or anything?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply