Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Irish Roots! Looking for my virtual shovel.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It can be addicting (kinda like home brewing) but after finding out the information I did, it's worth it. I was also able to order my Grandfather's WWI service record including information about when and where he was wounded. My Dad told me that his father didn't talk about the war much so this was great reading for my Dad. It seems like you have a branch going then it dead ends and you have to look for another branch or try to put it together using different information. I've enjoyed it a lot though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have made it back to my GGG-grandfather for free. Now comes the money part and time of checking everything. Amazing how many records there are even when you can't find exactly what you are looking for. I am wanting to get into the Lowry DNA project to see how far back and where my blood and last name truly come from. DNA is the only absolute way since people tend to not tell the truth about certain family skeletons and secrets. I can't wait to find out though and someone in my family did a lot of research it just was skewed for their side of the family.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Yeah. I already know out of the gate that it will get "interesting" regarding my mothers side. With any luck the cousin's data will get me through a lot of the confusion.

As I was growing my grandparent always told stories about name changes because some early ancestors were horse theives. There have also been a lot of stories regarding "slave relations" in barns. So, I fully expect to see a lot of twists and turns in this tree.
Sounds like a fun tree to climb What I started doing was having Google Earth open while searching family history and I've learned a lot about the country side my ancestors grew up in (Scotland and Britain). It also helps because 100 years ago, and beyond, people didn't travel very far so it's good to know the area.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

both my parents are second generation in the states, and know when and where we came from. now the old sod history is lost, but the ancestors sorta left there for a reason.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
I have made it back to my GGG-grandfather for free. Now comes the money part and time of checking everything. Amazing how many records there are even when you can't find exactly what you are looking for. I am wanting to get into the Lowry DNA project to see how far back and where my blood and last name truly come from. DNA is the only absolute way since people tend to not tell the truth about certain family skeletons and secrets. I can't wait to find out though and someone in my family did a lot of research it just was skewed for their side of the family.
It can get expensive once you start looking at actual documents to confirm information, but for me it was a lot cheaper than going to the towns Hall of Records.
Facebook page

Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat View Post
both my parents are second generation in the states, and know when and where we came from. now the old sod history is lost, but the ancestors sorta left there for a reason.
3 of my Grandparents were born and raised in Scotland and one was born and raised in England. It's too bad I wasn't interested in family history while they were alive. One Grandfather died a month before I was born but the other 3 lived long lives. It's been, shall I say, a "bonding" time for me and my parents. Learned a lot about their childhood that I never knew.
Facebook page

Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #17
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts

The best resource for family history on this entire earth are the Mormon family history centers. They are free, no fees for anything.

Mormons are heavily vested in family history and the lineage of the entire earth. They believe it is their duty to perform a baptism for every dead person who did not have a chance to be baptized while on earth. This belief has created the largest genological society and database in existence.
This is what my father has used to track down his lineage. It's pretty amazing actually, everything from ship logs, marriage records, Ellis Island documents and all.

Once you find the where abouts of your family roots I would reccomend looking at their local churches. My dad visited a catholic church in Ireland and was able to view records from the 1600's showing marriages and baptisms of his family.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
The best resource for family history on this entire earth are the Mormon family history centers. They are free, no fees for anything.

Mormons are heavily vested in family history and the lineage of the entire earth. They believe it is their duty to perform a baptism for every dead person who did not have a chance to be baptized while on earth. This belief has created the largest genological society and database in existence.
This is what my father has used to track down his lineage. It's pretty amazing actually, everything from ship logs, marriage records, Ellis Island documents and all.

Once you find the where abouts of your family roots I would reccomend looking at their local churches. My dad visited a catholic church in Ireland and was able to view records from the 1600's showing marriages and baptisms of his family.
Check post #7.
Facebook page

Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
As I was growing my grandparent always told stories about name changes because some early ancestors were horse theives.
My family too! My aunt found out that some of my family got shipped off to Australia for horse-thieving.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

LOL, Australia. Guess the English didn't see that one coming, lol. Lets move all the criminals there... wait now lets move there. LOL

I love the Mormon site, got most of my info there.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Quick Reply