Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Invisible Dog Fence issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default Invisible Dog Fence issue

Anyone here use Invisible fences?
I have a PetSafe (I know it a less than desirable brand but it was free and has worked great up to now).
We just put in a privacy fence this weekend and of course cut the wire a couple times. no big deal. I went around yesterday and my cuts spliced back together. There were 3-4 splices (once it's working I will go back and minimize it to 2 connections) to get back to a solid loop. Now I've confirmed this with an ohm meter and I have continuity on both ends. I get my power and loop lights indicating good power and continuity to the transmitter, but my dog collars (tried both) showed no signs of beeping/shocking when Iwent out tot est them before putting them on the dogs. Only thing I can think of is maybe the collars stopped working long ago (dead batteries, although both were replaced withing the past 6 months) and the dogs just never realized/tested their boundary, or where the two ends come into the garage they're too close, but they are running very close to where they were before. But even if this was the case from my understanding this would only cancel out this section of fence as it did in the past, not the whole thing. I'll probably pick up a pack of batteries to test the collars as the dogs need to learn their new boundaries after this fence has them most likely thoroughly confused about the yard layout now.

I guess I'm just looking for any little tips or something I could be overlooking before I buy the 2 pack of batteries although they're only $9.
But to summarize I've confirmed continuity in the loop with a Fluke Meter, and the Transmitter confirms this (was beeping like a madman until I fixed all the breaks, not is back to normal), I'm just getting no signal to the collars. I read about using a portable AM radio to test the signal and will see if I have a Walkman or something laying around although seriously, who has a portable radio anymore? Damn MP3 Players.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3502 Times on 3393 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a PetSafe fence and it's great. It's risky, but you could hold the collars and walk near the boundary. They should start beeping as you get closer. If they don't, change the batteries. I assume you also know you can increase the strength on the collars by using a magnet over what should be a gray spot on the collars.

Just be careful if you hold the collars. I walked a little too fast once and zapped the hell out of myself. Lost feeling in my right arm for a couple of hours. It was not pleasant.

If you want to test the single, grab a spare christmas tree light bulb and wrap one end of each of the two wires around the pegs on the collars. If it lights up, the signal is good. If not, need new batteries.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see where you had no beeping. Sounds like dead batteries.

Last edited by shecky; 03-23-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see where you had no beeping. Sounds like dead batteries.
Yeah it's what I'm hoping but it seemed to work before we started digging for the new fence and we definitely cut it. But I'm thinking (read hoping) the batteries have been dead on both collars and the dogs just stopped testing their boundaries.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Just be careful if you hold the collars. I walked a little too fast once and zapped the hell out of myself. Lost feeling in my right arm for a couple of hours. It was not pleasant.
Man that is pretty messed up to put a dog through that... Not judging you guys or anything I just feel bad for the dog that has to wear one of those.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
Man that is pretty messed up to put a dog through that... Not judging you guys or anything I just feel bad for the dog that has to wear one of those.
Then it's a good thing this isn't a debate thread on rather or not get one But seriously it's an animal and it's not that bad, at least mine is not. Remember their skin is much thicker and they have a coat on top of that.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

First thought, I had a friend who installed an invisible fence in his backyard, because the dog constantly took off when out there alone. That worked great...until the dog realized that there was no fence in the FRONT of the house !

Second, not being judgemental, but try obedience training. I did that with my dog, and he NEVER left my yard, even when the gates were left open (friggin' garbage men !), without my permission.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 03-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
ernie111
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If you have a dc volt meter you can check the batteries. With ours even if the dog doesn't test the boundaries - set the collar off, the batteries don't last very long.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
First thought, I had a friend who installed an invisible fence in his backyard, because the dog constantly took off when out there alone. That worked great...until the dog realized that there was no fence in the FRONT of the house !

Second, not being judgemental, but try obedience training. I did that with my dog, and he NEVER left my yard, even when the gates were left open (friggin' garbage men !), without my permission.
Not really a discussion about opinions over rather or not to use the thing, we have it, we love it, we'll continue to use and will buy a 3rd collar when our son starts walking (ok that was a joke for all you stiffs) but thank you for your input regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie111 View Post
If you have a dc volt meter you can check the batteries. With ours even if the dog doesn't test the boundaries - set the collar off, the batteries don't last very long.
I'll be doing that tonight but you can't get an accurate reading on a battery without a load on it and I can't take the reading with the battery inside the collar.
I'll most likely just buy a pack of batteries, even if that doesn't fix it I'll eventually need them anyway once the problem is fixed.
This was more just asking for quirky similar experiences and fixes due to the weirdness/confusion I've found with the rules of routing wires and twisting them and the effects each scenario has on the fence.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3502 Times on 3393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post

It's not that bad. My dog busted through it a couple of times early and was none the worse for wear. It's not like I'm beating him with a stick. Jeepers.

Did obedience training and it worked fine. I've gone months without changing the dead batteries in my dog's collar. He has no idea. But when he sees the fox that roams the neighborhood, no amount of training is going to overtake his instinct.

It's for his safety and my peace of mind. I could have him locked in a 12x4 cage like my neighbors did to their dog. Tell me which you'd rather I do.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the invisible fences, but they are better than most alternatives. I'd rather my dog get shocked than run over by a car or get locked in a kennel all the time. As long as they are only used on full grown dogs, and never on a puppy, I think they qualify as humane. God knows I've certainly done more painful stuff to myself.

Just the ASPCA supporter in me talking here. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Quick Reply