Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Insert Tab A into Slot B

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default Insert Tab A into Slot B

The directions were so simple. Took two days and some serious muscling to get it installed, but I finally managed it and am having a 1554 to celebrate and maybe a Dead Guy, since I didn't fall off the roof in the process. I wanted to line my flue to improve the draft. Like so many things in this house, the previous owners did a half-job installing the fireplace insert, just stuck it in the fireplace and let the smoke pour into the ash pit.

15 feet of 8" flexible (semi) stainless steel flue liner in a 10.5" flue. Should be simple? Except the flue walls are not smooth and the joints between the sections are deep and the flex keeps flexing. But, it's in and I might just light a fire this evening as a test.

So, what "simple" job have you spent days working at?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Props to you! I don't think this would be a simple job at all... This is one where I'd be calling someone to do it for me and having the beer while I watch!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Installing new soffit board and insulation under a window seat. With 18" of working room along 8 foot.

Flanked by an evergreen barberry with 1.5" spikes.

Brutal.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
So, what "simple" job have you spent days working at?
Raising the upper cabinet above the sink. For some reason, the installer put it at the bottom of the rest of the taller cabinet. Then installed the valance at the top. Created a nifty shelf above, but hardly any room below for dish washing.

Then I found out the cabinet on the left was not plumb. So....took it down and decided to raise all of the cabinets to an 18" clearance above the counter.

Then I found out whoever installed them did not know you should put the screws THROUGH the backer board. Instead, they put them through the flimsy backing. Which required some repair to the cabinets as the force on the backing pulled the sides of the cabinets loose.

So from simply moving a cabinet up to removing all upper cabinets, repairing most, and reinstalling 1" higher.

Ah the joys of home-ownership.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Nice work.

I spent far too long installing a new closet flange when I was remodeling my bathroom recently. I'm on a concrete slab and I just didn't have a powerful enough imact driver to get the tapcons in securely. I'd drill them in and they would seem secure and the concrete would just crumble around them when I tried to set the toilet. I was in fits but finally got it secure after the 4th or 5th attempt.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

When I have to put bolts in concrete, I drill over-size and glue them in.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just wired a three switch two light circuit into my upstairs hall/stairwell... 'this should take 2 hours'... WRONG. All day, full of insulation from crawling around in the attic, back to the store because I didn't have a 4-way switch in stock, etc. It is a trend for me because my basement (workshop/material storage) is a shat hole so I never really know what I have or where anything is.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1102

I've been putting off all of these projects. I actually called a contractor to do a few things around here, but he never stopped by. I hate to bug him for the little things, but I am just tired of doing that crap.

I need to install a ridge vent in the roof, which is not a big deal. Remove top row of cap shingles, cut a space at the ridge with circular saw and nail vent and new shingles on cap.

Oh, then install soffit vents in the 3" wide soffit...

Oh, yeah, and I need to extend the overhang above the kitchen window.

And wire the upstairs in the garage so I can sort my car parts and work on my Mustang. Hmmm... I wonder which item will get done first.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Domminigan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Everything in my house takes longer than it should.

First project I did was to replace the bathroom faucet... That ended up being a total replumming of the entire house to the curb including six new faucets.

Next I had a cracked toilet. Subfloor had termite damage, tore that out. Support beams had termite damage, removed them. Well that sewer pipe looks a bit iffy. Now I've got a floor supported by beams garnered from a house being torn down locally that was built around the time mine was, a section of tile around the toilet mounting as I could not match the floors right any other way, and still no new toilet, as I want to wait to refinish the floor.

Moved the exhaust vents for the furnace and the water heater out of the chimney and to their own area, but need to rebuild the main chimney because it leaks.

Etc...

"For beer, that's not what 'import' means. For beer, import just means better."

Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I recently got a new baby. Went to change out a simple pee'd up diaper. Turned out it was a lot more than pee. 6 butt wipes and a tube of diaper rash cream later and the new diaper was finally installed.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply