*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Insane idea... digestive enzymes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 01:31 AM   #1
Windaria
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Insane idea... digestive enzymes?

OK... I wasn't sure where to post this, as this could apply to cider/mead/beer/wine/whatever, and at the same time I am sure that this idea will sound so stupid/crazy as to be considered a drunken rambling, but I assure you I haven't had a drop yet today... so I figured to post here.

Anyway, what would it be like if you added a digestive enzyme to the brew. For example... something like Absorbaid. I mean, I've heard about adding the pectic enzymes and such, well what about a full-on digestive enzyme?

Would that break things down even more, which may make it even easier for the yeast? Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 AM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

The amylase would help, but that is exactly what the two-row pale provides. The other components would be of no value (Lipase since there is no fat in the grain), or a bad idea (Protease would break down the proteins and we want them to clump together and fall out) Finally, lactase (assuming it survived the boil) would break down the lactose which we add at great expense to our milk stouts.

The megabrews do use manufactured enzymes to speed up the breakdown of starches from the adjuncts (corn, rice, kitty litter), because they don't use enough malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply