Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Indian food?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #21
Jolly McStanson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I LOL at that one. Thanks for making me shoot beer out of my nose. It was so ladylike.

We don't have Indian cuisine where I live. We also don't have Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Polish, German, etc. We have tons of Swedes who like potatoes, and one Italian restaurant.

So, when we travel, we try to have whatever exotic cuisine we can find. I like Indian quite a bit- it's not so much hot (like fiery Thai) as much as truly spicy, in an aromatic way. I like everything I've ever tried.

My great grandmother was Swedish. I miss her Swedish cooking.

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:
Kegged: half of something from last Spring

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #22
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDuc View Post
Ok, so how was it?
Sorry I got busy right after lunch and didn't have a chance to give my report. Well I gotta say I wasn't super blown away, I was thinking everything I had would of been much better if it had meat in it! But that brings me to my fun little adventure. I called the order in, it was just one co-worker and myself and we had some things picked out. However once I connected I could not for the life of me understand a single word the guy was saying. It was so bad in fact that all he could get out of me was that I had never tried Indian food before. Even when I first connected all he said was "Hello" and I had to confirm I was even speaking to the eatery, which almost took some convincing of the guy on the other line that he in fact was running a restaurant.

So anyhow I tried to figure out if we could order certain items and get them bundled in with the lunch special. Well no luck, after going back and forth I finally settled on, "well I we have never had it, just make us something up that comes highly recommended". I don't know if he completely understood my request but he did manage to throw together 2 lunches and told me It would be ready in 15min.

So I ran down to the place and stood at the counter, I was greeted by a cheery enough Indian man (the same who took my order) and we continued our great fluent conversation. I think I said yes about a dozen times because I was so confused. Some of the yeses got a wide eyes glance, so who knows what I agreed too.

Anyhow I took the food back and we dove in, each sitting across from each other trying every part out of the 3 course meal and making comments. The biggest issue is I have absolutely NO IDEA what I ate since I didn't order it.

Well I take that back I am pretty sure the one item was lintel soup, which wasn't that bad just a tad bland.

The other item was some potatoes and bell peppers with rice drowned in curry sauce. It wasn't bad but after awhile the curry started to get annoying.

Then I had some potato and veggie filled dumpling which wasn't bad and some sauce to dip it in. I am assuming the Chutney.

On the side was a yogurt type crap that made me finally understand what old milk and a bodily fluid hand lotion mixture would taste like. (I almost lost it once tasted)

And some stuff that smelled very pungent that I would not dare try!

The entire time I had these two doughnut things, little balls of dough sitting in a weird sticky solution. I figured it would taste and have the texture of a cake doughnut with syrup dumped on it. OH HOW I WAS WRONG!

I picked it up and it was cold, soggy and very heavy, all the while dripping stuff off of it. I thought to myself (this is what an old dead mans .... feel like)

I tasted it, and it tasted no better then it felt, it was a sickly cloying sweetness! I didn't dare swallow and at this point was done with my taste test!

So I would say my first experience wasn't good, however I have not given up as this was a vegetarian joint. (voted best in Saint Louis 2008) Hoping some chicken might help things along!
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Aleforge; 04-04-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #23
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
Sorry I got busy right after lunch and didn't have a chance to give my report. Well I gotta say I wasn't super blown away, I was thinking everything I had would of been much better if it had meat in it! But that brings me to my fun little adventure. I called the order in, it was just one co-worker and myself and we had some things picked out. However once I connected I could not for the life of me understand a single word the guy was saying. It was so bad in fact that all he could get out of me was that I had never tried Indian food before. Even when I first connected all he said was "Hello" and I had to confirm I was even speaking to the eatery, which almost took some convincing of the guy on the other line that he in fact was running a restaurant.

So anyhow I tried to figure out if we could order certain items and get them bundled in with the lunch special. Well no luck, after going back and forth I finally settled on, "well I we have never had it, just make us something up that comes highly recommended". I don't know if he completely understood my request but he did manage to throw together 2 lunches and told me It would be ready in 15min.

So I ran down to the place and stood at the counter, I was greeted by a cheery enough Indian man (the same who took my order) and we continued our great fluent conversation. I think I said yes about a dozen times because I was so confused. Some of the yeses got a wide eyes glance, so who knows what I agreed too.

Anyhow I took the food back and we dove in, each sitting across from each other trying every part out of the 3 course meal and making comments. The biggest issue is I have absolutely NO IDEA what I ate since I didn't order it.

Well I take that back I am pretty sure the one item was lintel soup, which wasn't that bad just a tad bland.

The other item was some potatoes and bell peppers with rice drowned in curry sauce. It wasn't bad but after awhile the curry started to get annoying.

Then I had some potato and veggie filled dumpling which wasn't bad and some sauce to dip it in. I am assuming the Chutney.

On the side was a yogurt type crap that made me finally understand what old milk and a bodily fluid hand lotion mixture would taste like. (I almost lost it once tasted)

And some stuff that smelled very pungent that I would not dare try!

The entire time I had these two doughnut things, little balls of dough sitting in a weird sticky solution. I figured it would taste and have the texture of a cake doughnut with syrup dumped on it. OH HOW I WAS WRONG!

I picked it up and it was cold, soggy and very heavy, all the while dripping stuff off of it. I thought to myself (this is what an old dead mans .... feel like)

I tasted it, and it tasted no better then it felt, it was a sickly cloying sweetness! I didn't dare swallow and at this point was done with my taste test!

So I would say my first experience wasn't good, however I have not given up as this was a vegetarian joint. (voted best in Saint Louis 2008) Hoping some chicken might help things along!
I'd give up. Probably not your thing.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 AM   #24
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You know what your probably right, I have this illusion that chicken / lamb or something will make all the things I tasted come alive. But then again I am sure all the basic flavors carry over so It would be a waste of money.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #25
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
You know what your probably right, I have this illusion that chicken / lamb or something will make all the things I tasted come alive. But then again I am sure all the basic flavors carry over so It would be a waste of money.
There might come a time when you feel like trying it again. You will probably like it then.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Quick Reply