*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Indian food?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Aleforge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Indian food?

Does anyone here love Indian cuisine? We have a few places that are open around my work and I have always been curious to try it out. However I was hoping for some guidance or suggestions on what to ease myself into as I have no idea what any of it is!

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Love Indian. It great especially if you like spicy foods. Since many Indians are vegetarian most restaurants will have a good selection of vegetarian foods. However you will seldom see pork or beef dishes.

I'm still quite new to the dishes but basically you will find several curries (gravies/sauces) cooked with different foods (chicken, seafood, chickpeas, potatoes, vegetables) served with rice that is often flavored with more subtle spices.

Just those simple things create tons of combinations, but there are lots of other dishes also. Most restaurants will serve the dishes spicy but not overly hot. However you can usually get it much hotter if you wish. My Indian friends usually make the food much spicier than the default restaurant level.

Craig

Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Absolutely love Indian food. Might be kind of tough recommending what you might try though, as I don't know where your tastes lie. Like lamb? I'd say go for a nice lamb Vindaloo. I had an awesome Shrimp Saag in Artesia, CA a couple years back, but that's got spinach and cream and was probably pretty fattening. I'd kill for some right now! Pea and potato samosas are about as basic and tasty as simple Indian food goes, and should be included in any order, dine-in or take-out. A nice Biryani, a rice and spices/veggies dish, is alway a good side as well. For a simple starter for the first timer, a basic chiken Tandoori or Tikka , both marinated and roasted dishes, are great and not too foreign for the uninitiated.

Hint, don't ask for any spicier than mild unless you're a fan of hot stuff. Me, I love the heat and get mine ordered HOT, but it usually leaves me sweating and with a runny nose from all the pepper.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love it and know a little about it. Biryani (often with chicken or lamb) is not too out there - kind of like an Indian version of fried rice.

Palak Paneer is a creamy kind of dish made with spinach and paneer which is a cheese like farmer cheese or queso blanco. Eat it with lots of naan (an Indian flatbread).

Samosas are a good appetizer. A seasoned vegetable mix (usually mostly potato with onions, peas, etc.) wrapped in pastry and fried.

Masala Dosa is another good one. Kind of a giant thin pancake wrapped around a seasoned potato and onion filling.

Chicken Tikka Masala is a pretty common dish, but supposedly not really authentic. Pretty much just chunks of chicken in a curry kind of sauce with tomato and usually cream or coconut milk. Beyond that, it varies a lot, but it's generally tasty with nothing strange going on.

Those are available in most Indian restaurants and would give you a decent idea of some of the flavors you might not be familiar with (yellow curry, cardamom, coriander).

Lots of Indian restaurants have a buffet too which is a good way to try a lot of different things. Also, just ask the staff - they're probably used to making recommendations to people who are new to Indian food.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We have two, and the closest one to us is vegetarian only it seems. Which doesn't bother me, I think I am going to try 2 the following just have not decided,

Paani Puri - crispy mini puris stuffed with a mixture of potatoes, black channa, then topped with chutney and cilantro. Served with a side of spicy mint puri water for dipping.

Vegetable Korma - mixed vegetables with a hint of cashews and raisins, cooked in a creamy tomato sauce.

Bhindi Masala - Okra fried with onions, tomato, and green bell peppers with Indian spices.

Lunch special comes with 2 and one Daal, basmati rice, naan and dessert.

I have no idea what Daal means, is it some kind of soup?

I'm excited to try something new, I just hope they let me order by number since I don't want to try and pronounce anything.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
However you will seldom see pork or beef dishes.
Seldom see beef dishes? How about never. Cows are sacred in Indian culture so if you see a beef dish on the menu of an Indian restaurant it must be a Native American Indian restaurant not a Hindu Indian restaurant. Pork is pretty common, although chicken and veggie dishes dominate the menu. I love Indian food and my wife and I have gotten quite proficient at making it at home.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrico7812 View Post
Seldom see beef dishes? How about never. Cows are sacred in Indian culture so if you see a beef dish on the menu of an Indian restaurant it must be a Native American Indian restaurant not a Hindu Indian restaurant. Pork is pretty common, although chicken and veggie dishes dominate the menu. I love Indian food and my wife and I have gotten quite proficient at making it at home.
Cows are sacred in HINDU culture. HWMBO's mom is good friends with a christian from India that only eats beef. It depends on the religion of the restaurant owners, and you'll occasionally find beef on the menu in Indian restaurants around here.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ME! A good friend of mine is Indian (dots not feathers). His parents cook some great indian food from time to time and I never miss a chance to crash their dinner table . There is also an awesome Indian buffet place down the street from my office, and they have a KILLER butter chicken dish. Their tandoori chicken is fantastic as well, but I really enjoy the different chutneys they have to offer. I'd like to make a few dishes, but I need to set aside some time on the weekend...and right now between the nice weather and brewing that just aint happenin!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The common beef substitute in Indian food is Lamb.

I love Indiana food - the combination of the many flavors is just awesome.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
The common beef substitute in Indian food is Lamb.

I love Indiana food - the combination of the many flavors is just awesome.
Do you prefer the spicy Northern cuisine of Gary, or the more subtle fare from Bloomington?

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Quick Reply