Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > INC vs LLC vs General Partnership

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Ryan_PA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default INC vs LLC vs General Partnership

I am in the planning phases of (re) opening a design/media company with an associate. I need to determine whick business classification we should form. This place seems to be full of smart people, so I was hoping someone on here has some type of advice to offer. It is going to only be myself and a partner at first, but there may be expansion down the road. We plan to use my current book of web clients as well as take on new porjects for design and maintenence and begin a targeted line of user communities to create revenue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

My partner and I chose an LLC. Effectively, it is a partnership with a liability shield. You can't sell stock, but should you get to the point where you need/want to, conversion to Inc. isn't difficult.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
My partner and I chose an LLC. Effectively, it is a partnership with a liability shield. You can't sell stock, but should you get to the point where you need/want to, conversion to Inc. isn't difficult.
The LLC also provides the double taxation protection that Inc's have to pay, correct?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

A LLC is flow-through for taxes, like a partnership.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I agree with LLC. I've formed an LLP in the past but the problem is that it's only limited liability for limited partners, not general partners and there has to be at least one general. As long as it's not you you're safe, but I'm betting it would be you.

Also keep in mind that partnerships are supposed to have a limited timespan that is pretty well defined while it is assumed an LLC is an ongoing venture. LLPs are harder to expand to include more partners. I believe you have to tear it down and construct a new partnership agreement each time.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1657 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 837

How does income taxes work with an LLC?

My Instagram

Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

As stated, the LLC is a pass through entity, so the business entity is not legally separate from the person that owns it. Therefore, at income tax time, the owner reports all business income and losses on his individual income tax return. The business itself is not taxed.

I have my business trading stock options set up as a limited partnership, with all of my trading accounts in the LLC (limited partner) managed by my Nevada C corp (general partner). I can use a Nevada C corp because my business does not provide a 'good or a service' in the state in which I reside. Fortunately, the blood sucking attorney and accountant handle all of the red tape for me.

Quick Reply