Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I'm a non-smoker now....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
JeepGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I'm a non-smoker now....

Gone cold turkey.....almost.

For some background here is a previous post I put up about this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29689

I had my last ciggy on monday around noon to break up a long car ride. Before that one I hadn't had one since about 5 pm Saturday. So I've started the waiting game. I'm waiting it out until I don't crave it anymore. I hope that happens. I went outside with a couple of smoking co-workers to show the addiction who's boss and was able to come back in without having one. It was tough enough that I think I'll wait a while before going out to a club or bar to get a drink. I'm hoping it's like someone was saying in my previous post about how no craving will be as bad as the last one was. I'm really hoping that I'll stop thinking about it soon. As it is I think about it a lot. Gonna start running tonight if the weather holds out for me, to get my mind off of it.

That's my update. I'm kinda using this forum as a "buddy" to vent to and get encouragement from as I don't have any smoking friends.

"Fermentation and civilization are inseperable." -John Ciardi, poet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
c.n.budz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Cold turley is the only way to quit, IMO. I tried the smoking less everyday thing and it didn't work. The first few days will be tough but once you get through that it'll start getting a bit easier. Just be prepared to gain a few pounds and get some gum or something else to keep you occupied during normal smoking times, in the car, after meals, etc....

Good luck!

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

NICE JOB!!! Stick with it, bro!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Good luck and stay strong. I never have smoked, but have been greatly effected by loosing people in my life because of smoking. Just keep thinking of you family. You will make it.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
JeepGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Got myself occupied with sunflower seeds. Not a big fan of them usually, but they keep me doing something that isn't smoking.

"Fermentation and civilization are inseperable." -John Ciardi, poet

Old 05-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats man, quitting is tough but stick with it. I've been quit for a year and two months now. Smoked for 12 years prior to that. Some advice I can lend...

- Don't try cutting back slowly, it doesn't work. If anything, it makes it worse. When you cut back all you're really doing is putting your body in a constant state of withdrawal. Between smokes your body goes through all the withdrawal symptoms as if you'd gone cold turkey then when you can't take it anymore you have one and the whole cycle starts all over again. If you go cold turkey you eventually hit a peak in the cravings, usually 3-4 days in, and the cravings subside from there.

- Keep BUSY! As the old saying goes, “Idle hands are the Devil’s workshop.” For me, I was bouncing off the walls with nervous energy when I first quit so I got all kinds of stuff done around the house. Staying active is important for two reasons. One, you won’t have time to think about smoking. Two, the other nasty side affect of quitting can be substituting food for smokes so you won’t eat as much if you’re busy and if you do eat more you’ll work it off.

- Avoid temptation. You mentioned staying away from the bar scene, I would heartily recommend following through with that. I think it was easily 3-4 months after I quit before I set foot in a bar. By then the smell of smoking was repulsive but after a few beers I still found myself tempted so I left. If you have friends that are smokers, ask them to not smoke around you. If they’re truly friends they won’t have a problem with that. My wife and I quit together because there was no way one of us could quit alone and we didn’t quit until after moving back to Ohio from GA because our good friends and neighbors in GA were both heavy smokers.

Not to be all doom and gloom but there are some harsh realities to quitting:

It is most likely the hardest thing you will ever do…
….a friend’s dad who served in the Marines said he’d rather go back through Marine basic training than try quitting smoking again.
….a coworker who at one time dabbled in the likes of Ecstasy and cocaine is still a smoker because he can’t seem to give them up.
….I’ve been quit for over a year now and I won’t lie, there are still times that I’m tempted. I can easily dismiss those momentary impulses but they still happen.

But there is a bright side…
….food really does taste a lot better once you’ve been quit for a while.
….you do have a lot more energy and working out actually feels good.
….the smell of smoke lingers in odd places, like your hair, but you won’t notice it until it’s gone.
….you save a TON of money to be spent on, what else, BREWING! Something to install on your PC, http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/download.htm. It tracks how long you’ve been quit and how much money you’ve saved, nice motivation.
….it may not feel like it now but the urges will subside, your body will learn how to function without nicotine and you will learn new habits to take the place of when you used to smoke.

Alright, I’m done. Sorry for the long winded rant there. I just know how tough quitting was for me so I’m always looking to help a fellow EX-smoker.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
AGBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I quit smoking about a year ago, took quite a few tries to do it. It was very hard to do but worth it in every way. The money spent, and time wasted is ridiculous. Plus once you get used to being a non-smoker you will notice how bad it smells on other people, not to be rude but I can't stand the smell of cigarettes anymore. Not to mention the health benefits. Don't give up.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Just don't become THAT quitter. That guy who quits and then becomes the self important dickhead who insists that anyone who has been near a lit cigarette in the past day leave his presence.

There's a level of hell reserved for self righteous former smokers.

On a more positive note: when I quit I did it by refusing to buy smokes. For a while I'd bum the occasional off a buddy (ain't got many friends that smoke) or someone at a bar (only so many times you can do that) but eventually it just stopped being appealing.

I also modified one key habit: I stopped going inside gas stations. It was such a habit for me to say "Pump X and a pack of smokes". I do all pay at the pump now.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
Just don't become THAT quitter. That guy who quits and then becomes the self important dickhead who insists that anyone who has been near a lit cigarette in the past day leave his presence.

There's a level of hell reserved for self righteous former smokers.

Well said I quit about 7 years ago and never gave anyone any crap for smoking around me, I was even against the smoking ban in bars at first.

A friend of mine quit a couple years ago and went so far as to put no smoking signs all over his apartment and he'd b!tch and moan if anyone lit up around him, telling them of the evils of smoking that he'd so recently discovered. He's since gone back to smoking. Maybe he got so obsessed with not smoking he never got cigarettes off his mind...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roterdrache
….I’ve been quit for over a year now and I won’t lie, there are still times that I’m tempted. I can easily dismiss those momentary impulses but they still happen.
+1

Quote:
But there is a bright side…
….food really does taste a lot better once you’ve been quit for a while.
….you do have a lot more energy and working out actually feels good.
….the smell of smoke lingers in odd places, like your hair, but you won’t notice it until it’s gone.
….you save a TON of money to be spent on, what else, BREWING!
….it may not feel like it now but the urges will subside, your body will learn how to function without nicotine and you will learn new habits to take the place of when you used to smoke.
+10 years you're adding to your life (It's just too bad they're added at the end of your life, rather than in the middle, eh?)

Quick Reply