I'm gonna quit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I'm gonna quit smoking. My family is sick of it and I'm feeling like I'm ready to give it an honest go. Have any of you quit? Do any of you have suggestions on how to help the process along? I'm considering getting this shot that is supposed to remove all pleasure from smoking. I've also heard that there is a pill that will do the same if taken regularly. I'm considering both of those routes. My main concern is what am I going to do if I'm not smoking. I'm thinking of trying to get an exercise program together which would help me a lot anyway. Anybody have any good insight?

JeepGuy said:
I'm gonna quit smoking. My family is sick of it and I'm feeling like I'm ready to give it an honest go. Have any of you quit? Do any of you have suggestions on how to help the process along? I'm considering getting this shot that is supposed to remove all pleasure from smoking. I've also heard that there is a pill that will do the same if taken regularly. I'm considering both of those routes. My main concern is what am I going to do if I'm not smoking. I'm thinking of trying to get an exercise program together which would help me a lot anyway. Anybody have any good insight?

Mind over matter. Go about a week or two, then show smoking who's boss. Go out with your friends, to a bar, and force yourself to make it through the night. If you can, you've done.

JeepGuy said:

I quit by jogging everyday. I was up to 3 miles before I gave it up totally. Now I dont do either jog or smoke. After a few months you dont even think about smoking anymore.

A lot of people have luck with the gum, but I say just do the cold turkey thing. Recognize that you may cheat on and off for a few months, but overall if you diminish from 1-2 packs/day down to 1-2 per every couple of weeks, it's a big start toward easing your body out of nicotine. THEN once you get down to the 1-2 packs every couple of weeks, that's when to do that pill or shot (I have heard first hand from a friend that used the pill that it was very effective and he is totally quit -- I can't remember what he said the pill was called). I think the pill can be hard on your liver or something, so check into that, too (probably same story for the shot). Good luck!

Hey GOOD LUCK dude....I am about 8 weeks into it and very few withdrawls.

I got the prescription for Chantix (SP?) it works really good. Initially you take the pill and continue to smoke. By the end of the week you do not enjoy smoking at all. I miss it of course, but I smoked for 25 years.

Smoking is a physical and psychological addiction. Physical addition is beat in less than a week. Psychological addiction can take up to a year to kick.

Once you've made up your mind to quit that's it. I quit on Mar 5, 1990, actually the 4th was the last time I had a cigarette.

You do not need any crutches like Cigarrest or Nicoderm, but, if you must then you must.:D

Chantix is the pill I was considering. I'm not sure if that's spelled right either. I just know how it sounds.

Thanks for the quick replys. I'm taking it all in to help find my best course of action, keep it coming if anybody else has more ideas.

I've been off the nicotine for about 5 years now. I ran a Marathon in 2004 and running does help for the first year or so. Over the past 5 years I've actually made it a point to smoke 2 or 3 cigarettes and then not any more for another 6 months just to prove to myself I have complete control over the addiction. I wouldn't recommend doing that until you haven't had a smoke in over a year though and even after that only if you're sure you have it licked.

I smoked about a pack a day for 10 years before I quit and it took a few trys. Good luck man! Do yourself a favor and don't use gum or the patch or anything else. Just man up for a few weeks and after 3 weeks the nicotine will be out of your system.

Good luck....I smoked from the age of 16 until I was 27. I tried quitting several times, but finally one day I got the worst cold I've ever had, and I couldn't smoke for a week. After a week with no cigs it was easy. Best thing I ever did - that was 4 years ago, and I can count the colds I've had since then on 1 hand. Before that I had a cold or respiratory infection about once a month.

But the best part is that I can smell things now....when all the trees bloom in the spring, I can actually appreciate it. And even better, I can smell the lovely aroma of a nice hoppy IPA. My friends appreciate it too, since I don't always stink of smoke.

March 15 2001 is when I quit smoking. I cheated though, Kodiak for another 4years until I noticed my gums were receding then I finally went all the way. Glad I did. A crutch I never really needed.

If it helps, think about it this way:

3% of the US population has cancer.
That's 10,000,000 people right now.

The single best way to prevent cancer is to quit smoking.

You'll also fight off heart disease and numerous other health ailments.

10,000,000 people have cancer. It's not pretty and it's not easy to fix.

go for it bro! I wish you the best of luck too.

Now keep in mind each person is different when it comes to quitting. If you try one method and it doesn't work don't get discouraged.

I myself went cold turkey and am proud to say Im now tobacco free for 4 months and 14 days as of today. The cravings have subsided also, though I get one maybe once a week which I can live with.

I was a bit of an ******* for a month or two though, but it was well worth it. And with cigarettes at 6 bucks a pack, Im saving more than 150 bucks a month. Thats alot of beer ingredients.

I used the gum, but not in the way they intended. I just kept the pack with me and it was a comfort knowing that I had a crutch when things got really bad. I only wound up using about 4 - 5 pieces. It seems silly to me to expect to break an addiction to nicotine by ingesting nicotine so I only used a piece to keep me from breaking down and grabbing a smoke.

patch , gum, lozenges finally went to a hypno for haven't smoked for 16 mo. since 12 jan 2006. never even had a craving for a smoke afterward including at the bar bout 2 wks later , the point is keep quitting till you give em up for good.

good luck:tank:

I quit May 18th 2002. Last cigarette was on the 17th. Spent my first day at a HB club meeting outside with the smokers to boot. I went to the group meetings since my cigarette tax paid for it. Got the free patches and even tried the wellibutrin but found I had 75% of the side effects. But the only real thing that kept me away was the thought that I'll never have another withdrawal as bad as the last one I just had. And it’s true.

Good luck,
Wild

Do it dude! I'm gearing up for quitting soon here as well. Jokingly the SWMBO is putting my under contract since she's sick of it as well. That should help a bunch, and she's going to be my crutch, rewarding me in various ways for doing well. I'm sure there is a 100 ways to combat it, I'm sure as hell not running at all to help, I can't run as it is.

Well Looks like that you are ready to quit. the best way I have found is to go on the patch. This worked well for me. It may seem expensive but it is cheaper in the long run, when you have quit.

The Frame of mind you want to have is "I am a Non-Smoker"

Not "I'm Quitting" or "I am trying to quit" You will fail.

After the first week it get's easier day by day man!

Wish you all the best. (Beer tastes better) ;)

It's getting easier here. Anti-smoking laws being what they are, it's hard to go out if you are a smoker.

I quit 16 months ago and I feel SO much better. No hangovers, more energy, and everything smells better.

Good ideas all around. I'm gonna formulate my plan today and I'll let you all know what my plan of attack is. Gotta set a date too.

I didn't quit smoking. I decided one day that I was no longer going to buy tobacco.

Since few of my friends smoke (most already quit) I was only occasionally around people who did own smokes. For a few weeks I'd bum the occasional smoke offa someone. Then one day I bummed a smoke after not having had one in a while. Tasted like total ass. Havn't had one since.

I did, however, have a cigar the other night--- I actually appreciate that a great deal more now.

Hubby and I quit smoking on March 9th 2006 and haven't looked back!!! Best of luck to you, it's a hard road to travel but worth the time and effort.
We did (for the first 2 weeks) use the gum. I think that we also stayed away from beer and coffee - two of our triggers - for the first month or so. After smoking for over 15 years i have to say it wasn't easy but we were supportive of each other.

The only thing that worked for me was to systematically stop smoking during certain activities.

For me it was:
1) Stop smoking at home
2) Stop smoking at work
3) Stop smoking at bars

Then it was the final step of will power to stop smoking while driving (I have a 45 mile commute).

I haven't smoked in about 5 years and still miss it every single day.

I put my wife through a Quit Smoking Program and she went cold turkey from day one and never smoked again. That was over 18 years ago. It's a great program but extremely expensive and and I'm still paying for it.

I got her pregnant. :D

Worth every penny!

That had been my plan for a long time, Ed. I told my wife that the day she tells me she's pregnant is the day I buy my last pack. I just don't want to be a smoker around my kids. I still don't have kids and she's not pregnant, but I think it's time anyway.

JeepGuy said:

Quitter

Good luck on it though I know I need to quit one day (soon)

Stopped on December 31 2001.
Smoked for 31 years.
Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done.
I quit several times for 4 to 6 months put would pick up one and that led to another and...........
It's an addiction!

You can not quit till YOU are ready.
YOU have to want to quit.
YOU made the first step by this posting.

Don't ever fool yourself by thinking you can only smoke one or two...
It will lead to 1 to two packs.

I needed help to finally quit. I went to a smoking sensation class that helped me through the rough parts.

Once you are ready just do it.
But this is a lifestyle change ask for help from a friend that you can call on when you are having a tough time.

Make the commitment.

You will fell better.

I have 2 days left according to my prescription of Chantix I am taking. Stuff seems to be pretty good, I think the double dose a day helps out big time. Hopefully the woman will be my support group like she says in a few days, I am sure as hell going to need it in 2 days.

My business partner's ex quit about 15 times over the course of 20 years, He finally kicked it with Bupropion hydrochloride, which is the anti-depressant Wellbutrin. Unlike Chantix, it treats the psychological addiction. Exercise can do the same thing, but keep it up.

Best of luck. My mom tried quiting for 30 years and never got below 10 a day.

The Chantix is already helping with the mental aspect...or just the fact that I am taking something is helping.

Glad you decided to quit. I smoked for 22 years. Mom died from lung cancer and I kept smoking. I finally quit two years ago. Chewing tobacco helped immensely. That's a whole lot easier to quit than smoking.
I used to smoke 2-3 packs a day. Sometimes four if I was drinking. I have no desire for another cigarette. I loved it with all my heart, but know I'll never smoke another one. I'd have to learn to like them again. Wht do that?
Be strong. The desire really will leave after a while.

I smoked a pack a day for about 6 years. Quit 6 years ago, occasionally I have a craving if I'm drunk but nothing to get me smoking again. I read the book "The Easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr I would still smoke if I hadn't.

JeepGuy,

I quit over 12 years ago. You will truly be amazed at the physical changes in your body once you have quit for good. I tried everything throughout the years prior to being successful. I talked with my physician regarding my options and he discussed the prevailing issues regarding addiction to cigarettes. What was very important for me was to supplement my nicotine addiction so I used the patches on the arm solution back in those days. I did not have much of any symptoms regarding the physical need to put something in my mouth but I started chewing gum and started running. However, to me the most important thing was to slowly detox from the nicotine. They compare nicotine addiction to heroin addiction.

Good luck and let us know how successful you are. Remember, even if you screw up always have the attitude of fortitude. Who is stronger you or the ciggies.

:mug:

Monday around noon was 2 weeks. Already seems to be getting easier. I think I'm doing ok.

JeepGuy said:
Monday around noon was 2 weeks. Already seems to be getting easier. I think I'm doing ok.

Good for you. I quit just over 10 years ago and have only smoked an occasional cigar. I went the chewing gum route (my jaw was killing me after 2 days, but I toughed it out :) )

Stick with it, you won't regret it.

I started Chantix 2 weeks ago, still smoking, but have cut down drastically. Guy here at work said the same thing. Sometimes "forget" to smoke, then he just got tired of it by end of 3rd week.
I'm hoping I do the same as him.

Back