Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > If you used sugar water and bread yeast in a plastic bag under your sink...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1664 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 2832

Default If you used sugar water and bread yeast in a plastic bag under your sink...

Could you use the alcohol as a cleaning product, or would it have to turn to vinegar first?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4820 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

No. You add milk and have an Amish sourdough starter.

Which makes an excellent stainless Steel cleaner.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Let's find out!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hmmm... I've used ketchup and cigarette ash to polish brass, but never heard of sourdough starter for stainless steel.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well the alcohol produced by that means would probably not be stong enough to give any cleaning benefits without distilling it to a stonger product. And I don't know if the same would be the case with letting it turn to vinegar. It too would probably need to be concentrated to a level that would be acidic enough to give you any cleaning benefits.

Hmmm, looks like White/Distilled vinegar comes from souring distilled alcohol, that's why it's strong enough to clean things.

Quote:
Distilled vinegar

The term "distilled vinegar" is somewhat of a misnomer, because it is not produced by the distillation of vinegar, but rather, by the fermentation of distilled alcohol. The fermentate is then diluted to produce a colorless solution of about 5% to 8% acetic acid in water, with a pH of about 2.4. This is variously known as distilled spirit or "virgin" vinegar,[6] or white vinegar, and is used for medicinal, laboratory, and cleaning purposes, as well as in cooking, baking, meat preservation, and pickling.[7] The most common starting material in some regions, because of its low cost, is malt. In the United States, corn (maize) is the usual starting ingredient for most distilled vinegars, such as Heinz.[8]
So it doesn't appear that straight hooch alcohol would be strong enough to be used as a cleanser, unless you took it a step or two higher by distilling it.

Interesting question.

Now I wonder if you could freeze concentrate it a couple times to get it strong enough to have any use.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4820 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Hmmm... I've used ketchup and cigarette ash to polish brass, but never heard of sourdough starter for stainless steel.
It's works amazingly well.

You smear it on and let it set for a while.

Eventually, your wife will see it, become furious, and clean it off.

Whalah. The stainless steels are spotless again.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

I do recall however, on the second season of that silly survivalist reality show, "The Colony" the group's medical doctor, who was also a homebrewer did make medicinal grade alcohol by fermenting a sugar wash with bread yeast then double or triple distilling it. He used it as an antiseptic, and they ran a motor or generator or something off it as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

TyTanium Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've learned something here today.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

what? That sometimes you ask really good questions?

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tee hee. If one has to go to the lengths to distill or concentrate, it might not be worth it timewise. I just thought it would be cool to make the stuff and not have to DRINK it for it to be useful...

Quick Reply