Idea for research article, "Factors associated with Middle-age Weight Gain."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choosybeggar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the pitch: Perform inventories of a subject's garage contents and score association of a particular item with obesity risk and degree of obesity. You know, rock climbing gear-negative association with obesity, plate chiller-positive association. Thoughts?

Airplanedoc said:
I have both in my garage, what does that say?

I threw those items out there to illustrate. As far as I know, there may be no association between obesity and either item, or, the situation may be reversed from that in my illustration; climbing gear assorts with obesity whereas plate chillers do not.

Lets be honest, how many of us have some sort of exercise/sporting equipment in their garage?

Raises hand

Lets be honest, how many of us have some sort of exercise/sporting equipment in their garage?

Raises hand

I do. They are being stored while they await being sold on craigslist.

I am actually surprised how hard it is to sell so fitness items on craigslist after January.

Dusty exercise equipment in garage - probably a positive correlation with middle-age weight gain (ignoring the fact that hormones and diet also play the largest part). Dust free cardio equipment in front of TV - probably a negative correlation with middle-age weight gain.

My elliptical machine is in front of the only TV in the house. If I watch TV, I do so while exercising. It keeps me from watching too much TV. There’s also no junk food in the house and the only food that’s ready to eat right in seconds is raw fruit, vegi’s, and nuts. Any other carbs, proteins, or fats have to be cooked. It keeps me from “grazing”. In my garage, car parts, tools, boxed up speakers and other audio gear I’m not using.

Correlation is not causation. Even a strong correlate of garage junk vs weight gain would be subject to a million confounding covariates. We already know what the top contributors to middle age weight gain are...

1. Your metabolism slows naturally
2. You keep eating like it hasn't

:)

Correlation is not causation. Even a strong correlate of garage junk vs weight gain would be subject to a million confounding covariates. We already know what the top contributors to middle age weight gain are...

1. Your metabolism slows naturally
2. You keep eating like it hasn't

:)

Agreed re:correlation but sometimes we don't care about causes. For example, if I'm a life insurance adjuster, getting a handle on the probability of an applicant becoming obese would be as simple as peeking into a garage.

Also, today's correlate may be tomorrow's cause. Correlating variables become a source of new research targets.

And I think age stratification would be essential.

Go for it. Research is research...test a hypothesis. Be sure to let us know what you find.

"Homebrewer finds secret to weight loss....remove X item from garage"

Why is a robot lawnmower or roomba associated with fat and lazy? In your mind is having a lawn service or maid mean you are fat and lazy? Could these have other reasons for being in your garage? Such as

1. I absolutely hate mowing the lawn. I could always think of 100's of things I would rather be doing that I enjoy.
2. You could be a person fascinated with technology
3. You have plenty of disposable cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4PcL6-mjRNk

So is this guy fat and lazy, because he doesn't play with his dog?

Why is a robot lawnmower or roomba associated with fat and lazy? In your mind is having a lawn service or maid mean you are fat and lazy? Could these have other reasons for being in your garage? Such as

1. I absolutely hate mowing the lawn. I could always think of 100's of things I would rather be doing that I enjoy.
2. You could be a person fascinated with technology
3. You have plenty of disposable cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4PcL6-mjRNk

So is this guy fat and lazy, because he does play with his dog?

No offense intended. 'Twas attempted humor. :)

Back