Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I propose a new law
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I propose a new law

I think a new federal law should be passed banning any search and rescue attempts for hikers/mountain climbers who choose to climb mountains such as Mt. Hood, in the middle of winter. How much money is being wasted trying to find these idiots when common sense should tell them not to climb a mountain because you may get snowed on and freeze to death.

It's called Natural Selection! They are being singled out so they cannot pass their stupid genes on to future generations.

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged: Smokier Smoked Porter

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
I think a new federal law should be passed banning any search and rescue attempts for hikers/mountain climbers who choose to climb mountains such as Mt. Hood, in the middle of winter. How much money is being wasted trying to find these idiots when common sense should tell them not to climb a mountain because you may get snowed on and freeze to death.

It's called Natural Selection! They are being singled out so they cannot pass their stupid genes on to future generations.
Washingtonians have to be happy about their tax dollars being put to good use. Never mind school quality, let's save people too dumb to know not to climb a mountain in February.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Washingtonians have to be happy about their tax dollars being put to good use. Never mind school quality, let's save people too dumb to know not to climb a mountain in February.
LOL--there's always something deliciously amusing about someone making a mistake while dogging others for being stupid. The rescue was on Mt. Hood (in Oregon), right?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
LOL--there's always something deliciously amusing about someone making a mistake while dogging others for being stupid. The rescue was on Mt. Hood (in Oregon), right?
Of course the difference is the magnitude of the mistake. I'm sure that if Cheese thought he might be putting his and other people's lives at stake as well as wasting a ton of taxpayer money, he'd have checked the facts first.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No more laws, please. Just get government out of it. You know this will likely develop into a political thread and get shut down, right?

Often the states try to bill back the costs for the rescue to the climbers, but they generally won't get their money back. The costs are overwhelming, so taxpayers end up getting stuck with it. There are lots of problems with the state being involved at all. A debate site like Volconvo is probably a better place to discuss it. In fact, there was a thread on the last Mt. Hood rescue drama that you could search for on that site.

I favor an insurance-based and personal responsibility-based approach. In my view, mountain climbing is a risky undertaking that people are free to engage in. By default, no one has an obligation to save them if they get into trouble. They could purchase insurance or not. Insurance rates might be structured as either accidental death type with payments made to named beneficiaries in the event of the climbers death, or might include retrieval/rescue services for a much higher price. If a climber fails to obtain insurance, he is accepting the full risk of his actions personally and should not expect rescue.

Climbers could form associations to pool resources for funding rescue attempts, too, and have volunteers from the association pitch in on rescues. Might not be feasible unless there are a lot of mountain climbers out there with the skill level to tackle a rescue in wintry blizzard conditions on big mountains.

Since the news media just love these dramas, perhaps they might wish to fund some rescues to drive up ratings and viewership. They could own the rights and make mini-series or sell 'em to big movie houses.

I'm sure there are more ways that people could dream up that avoid having taxpayers foot the bill.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Of course the difference is the magnitude of the mistake. I'm sure that if Cheese thought he might be putting his and other people's lives at stake as well as wasting a ton of taxpayer money, he'd have checked the facts first.
Yeah, yeah--I was just making light.

I guess I should have included the following...

Secondary:

Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just wanted to say I agree with beer4breakfast. People should have a right to be stupid, but everyone else shouldn't have to be held responsible for their stupidity.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Climbers could form associations to pool resources for funding rescue attempts, too, and have volunteers from the association pitch in on rescues. Might not be feasible unless there are a lot of mountain climbers out there with the skill level to tackle a rescue in wintry blizzard conditions on big mountains.
I think the vast majority of the personpower of these rescue missions usually is from volunteer climbing organizations. Where the expense really gets racked up is in logistics from local law enforcement, helicopters, etc.

It's a tough issue with some major slippery slope problems. Could the same arguments be applied to a fat guy with high cholesteral who has a heart attack and needs an ambulance?

Secondary:

Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
It's a tough issue with some major slippery slope problems. Could the same arguments be applied to a fat guy with high cholesteral who has a heart attack and needs an ambulance?
That's why it's best to get government out of it. If government provides a service, everyone has to pay for it. That gives the state more leverage to pass more laws that infringe on personal liberties.

Private solutions are best.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think we should level Mt. Hood and drill for oil there. I mean, there's gotta be some Oregon Tea down there somewhere, right? Good thing there are no evil laws preventing us from doing this.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS