Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I Pod or MP3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Borisbbadd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I Pod or MP3

I have a dumb question,

What is the difference between an I Pod and a MP3 player ?

Also which one would be better to buy ?

Looks kind of like two questions...............................

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
mawa
Recipes 

Well, IPOD is an MP3 player but also a MP4 (video) player, you can store and view photos, use ir as an external hard drive, and a few other things.

I would go for an IPOD Touch so you can use it as an agenda and download several applications.

I'm pretty happy with my IPOD that i got as a present a couple of years back

Another great option are the ZEN MP3 players from Creative (Creative Labs : Home Page - The leader in Digital Entertainment for your PC and the Internet)

Mawa

Old 11-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's basically a format and price issue.

IPOD's work only with I tunes. There are alot more options for IPODS, such as downloadable movies, webcasts, TV shows, etc...

MP3 players can use different programs, but are pretty much restricted to music. They tend to be cheaper, but with the recent price drops in IPODS and the extra functionality, IPOD's in my opinion are the better buy.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3491 Times on 3382 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just got my first iPod for my birthday and I love the thing. It's attached to me most of the time. For the extra cash, it is certainly worth it.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

iPod plays mp3s. it's an mp3 player, made by Apple. The catch is, you have to use Apple's proprietary "iTunes" software with it. Some people don't like it, so they get some other brand of mp3 player. The iPod is also pretty expensive, because you're paying for Apple's name.

All that having been said, I've owned a couple iPods in my time and I love them. iTunes works well, the iPods work well...and the latest one I got, the 160gb "classic", holds all my music and videos comfortably. I don't know of any other player like this that has that much space on it, is that small, and is that easy to use. So, personally, I recommend it. However, I do think they're phasing out the classic, which is a shame. They need to replace it with something else, because solid state memory, which is what the Touch and iPhone run off of, is still far behind HDD in terms of space. I'd love to have a Touch, but I think the biggest ones only hold 16gb. Bah. That's nothing. To me, the most important thing is being able to hold my massive library in one place. But if you only have a few gigs of music, then you can go smaller. I suppose it's all about personal preference...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
mawa
Recipes 

There's another software I highly recommend for IPODs besides iTunes. It's called Media Monkey and it does a great job helping you organize your music library.

You can transfer your music to IPOD from this software and also DELETE tacks fron the IPOD which you cannot do with iTunes

Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawa View Post
There's another software I highly recommend for IPODs besides iTunes. It's called Media Monkey and it does a great job helping you organize your music library.

You can transfer your music to IPOD from this software and also DELETE tacks fron the IPOD which you cannot do with iTunes
Yes several other ways to put music on an Ipod these days, which eliminates my only dislike involving Ipods. Itunes sometimes will not let me play some mp3s, even some that I bought from Itunes. But then, I no longer use Itunes, and can put anything on my Ipod.

They are very well built, intuitive to use, and with a bit of care last a long time. My wife still uses her mini, almost every day. It is about 4 maybe 5 years old, with original battery.

Luck.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
skier!
Recipes 

Not necessarily true about "having to use Itunes" with an Ipod. I own Linux and XP laptops and I can update my Ipod with either.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Agreed - I use Winamp to put files onto my iPod. Works great. The album covers don't work --- but they don't work anyways since I import my audio from CDs, I don't buy it from iTunes Store.

iPods are great - they have very intuitive navigation. The other brands work. Some are great, some are not. iPods are just a tiny bit better, though, IMO..... Mostly because everyone else is scrambling to make their players "just like the iPod".

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Agreed - I use Winamp to put files onto my iPod. Works great. The album covers don't work --- but they don't work anyways since I import my audio from CDs, I don't buy it from iTunes Store.
You know you can right click, "Get Album Artwork" and it will do it for you, right. Yes I am one of those obsessive compulsives that has to have every single ID3 field filled in with artwork.

Quick Reply