Originally Posted by Tenchiro
Did you zone file get hijacked or something? Can you ping or traceroute to the affected websites?
I don't know what the hijacking thing means but I tried to ping the sites with no luck. Strangely HBT didn't work either even though it does indeed work....
Originally Posted by JustDave
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer
Try flushing the resolver cache. Close all running programs, especially
Internet Explorer and any other program that utilizes an internet
connection. Click start and type CMD. Right click the entry in the start
menu and use 'run as administrator'. From the prompt, type "ipconfig
/flushdns" (without the quotes) and hit . You should get a message
about it successfully clearing the resolver cache. Close the command window
(click the 'x' or type "exit"). Now retry the sites.
I found this on a Vista website
The Compaq tech support had me do this during my 5hrs with them...again no luck
Thanks for the help guys....I figured the overall HBT consensus is probably better than tech support and I should have tried this first!!