Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I need a National League team to "adopt"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default I need a National League team to "adopt"

I want to start watching someone other than the Sox (I know, Sox-nation - excommunicate me now, get it over with). I prefer the NL game, but I simply don't know jack about the teams. So, I want to "adopt" a team to follow - second in my heart to the Sox, always.

But, I don't know who.

Criteria:

1. Mid-to-small market; no goddamn NY Mets, I like rooting for the (at least qausi-)underdog

2. At least an outside chance to be decent - playoffs within reach, even if not champtionship caliber. Not going to expend energy rooting for a team that wins 60 games.

3. Good fan bases in established markets, with some history, is preferred.

4. Likeable players, preferably some good, young, improving players and a decent farm squad; some hope for the future.

Who fits that criteria? I'm leaning towards the Brewers for no reason other than their name, and I've always liked the idea of a team being back in DC. Wife was born in San Diego, so she'd appeciate me rooting for the Padres.

Convince me why I should root for *your* NL team...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Last edited by the_bird; 03-09-2007 at 02:05 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The Brewers baby!!! Young, three of the infielders are under 24. Have a chance at the wild card if not the division. Still have a great farm system, and come on, what are you, a home BREWER. They should be the team that everyone here likes.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause
The Brewers baby!!! Young, three of the infielders are under 24. Have a chance at the wild card if not the division. Still have a great farm system, and come on, what are you, a home BREWER. They should be the team that everyone here likes.
LOL...typical Brewers fan! Don't we say that every stinking year, and then lose 12 straight right off the bat?

I'm not drinking the kool-aid this year...no way. Put this on record, the Brewers will be worse than last year. Mark it down.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Padres. Then you can travel to San Diego to see a game, hang out at the beach. EDIT - then I see you mention the padres. I have A.D.D., your post was too long for me to pay attention.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The logical choice for a Sox fan is to eternally root for the Cubs. We've carried that torch, it's in our blood. It is sooo New England to always realize that there are things to find despair in. The Cubs are this. They capture my despair, and I love them, also.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 AM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
The logical choice for a Sox fan is to eternally root for the Cubs. We've carried that torch, it's in our blood. It is sooo New England to always realize that there are things to find despair in. The Cubs are this. They capture my despair, and I love them, also.
I'd have to agree with that.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I can't bring myself to do that... I;m from New England, so I'm already self-loathing, but I can't go to THAT extreme.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I want to start watching someone other than the Sox (I know, Sox-nation - excommunicate me now, get it over with). I prefer the NL game, but I simply don't know jack about the teams. So, I want to "adopt" a team to follow - second in my heart to the Sox, always.

But, I don't know who.

Criteria:

1. Mid-to-small market; no goddamn NY Mets, I like rooting for the (at least qausi-)underdog

2. At least an outside chance to be decent - playoffs within reach, even if not champtionship caliber. Not going to expend energy rooting for a team that wins 60 games.

3. Good fan bases in established markets, with some history, is preferred.

4. Likeable players, preferably some good, young, improving players and a decent farm squad; some hope for the future.

Who fits that criteria? I'm leaning towards the Brewers for no reason other than their name, and I've always liked the idea of a team being back in DC. Wife was born in San Diego, so she'd appeciate me rooting for the Padres.

Convince me why I should root for *your* NL team...
I've gotta put in a good word for the Astros. Solid team that's been in an out of the playoffs for the last decade or so. They've got a lot of up and coming young players, and a pretty good shot this year if their pitching staff works out. They have no history of any really obnoxious or badly behaved players, and there is a lot of loyalty, I believe. They have been very exciting to watch each of the last three years, since they get white hot and go on insane tears as the season winds down. And this city is completely in love with them.
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 AM   #9
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

torch, is the Ego going to Land in Houston this year or what?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
LOL...typical Brewers fan! Don't we say that every stinking year, and then lose 12 straight right off the bat?

I'm not drinking the kool-aid this year...no way. Put this on record, the Brewers will be worse than last year. Mark it down.
yeah but if they win 12 staight it's free burgers at webs

Quick Reply