Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I may have to change banks.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I may have to change banks.

I have an electrical contracting business that I run, in addition to my full time job. I have been a member of this bank (Astoria Federal Savings) with a business checking account for about 8 years. Occasionally, my customers pay in cash. I like to keep some cash around the house (Usually one hundred dollar bills. It's harder to spend on stupid stuff that way). Once a month the bank sends me a statement detailing any fees that they've charged during the previous month. Since that doesn't add up to anything significant, I don't normally pay attention to it. In January my account got real low, so I figured that I'd better deposit some cash. Went to the bank and deposited $1100.00. I looked at that statement today and discovered that they charged me $2.20 for that deposit. Twenty cents per bill to deposit cash??? WTF? I also realized that I deposited $700 this month. I thought they were nickle and dime-ing me when I took out my mortgage. Me and the branch manager will be having a little talk later this morning. Jeez, I know the economy is tough and all but....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep. If you are paying them to deposit money, you need to change banks. They are basically penalizing you for being a customer.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They will likely waive the fee if you bring it to their attention. A couple years ago I got my bank to waive and cover atm charges from other banks...there are too many banks out there for them to risk losing you over $5 a month deposit fees.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
pineyguy
Recipes 

I ditched a bank a little while ago when I tried to make a withdrawal from a savings account. They somehow didn't have enough cash (it was only like $1500) and tried making me pay for a money order or cashier's check. When they wouldn't waive the fee for the cashier's check I told them to empty all my accounts into that check. The teller didn't know what to say. Gotta make sure you don't have any outstanding stuff or auto-payments if you do that though. It's a good feeling, but hopefully they just give you back your money.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Join a local Credit Union. Way better to deal with and typical lower fees and better rates

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
Bithead Likes This 
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4633 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Join a local Credit Union. Way better to deal with and typical lower fees and better rates
This. The one we joined paid us 4.1% of our checking balance in dividends for the first year. Now it's down to ~3%.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I've had Wells Fargo for the past five years and have grown very tired of them. Last month I opened a checking/savings/reward cc at a local credit union and have been very pleased. Will close down my Wells Fargo accounts before the month is up.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I had my debit card compromised twice at my old bank. Both times it was used to create World of Warcraft accounts in California. I was satisfied with their response the first time, but the second time it caused an overdraft in my account. Because it was a check I wrote that actually caused the overdraft (the fraud charge depleted my account the day before), they fought me on waiving the fee. After a big argument, they finally relented. As soon as I confirmed that the fee was waived - like two days or something - I went back in and closed my account anyway.

We consumers have no power other than taking our money somewhere else. We need to use that a little more.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4633 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We consumers have no power other than taking our money somewhere else. We need to use that a little more.
Yep.

Before our switch we had banked with Bank of Oklahoma for nearly 12 years. They started hitting us with fees and such so we bailed as soon as we saw the offer from the CU.

The bank manager called and pleaded with us to come back. I told them unless they could ensure no fees and better dividends than what we would get with the CU to pack sand.

Haven't heard from them since.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...They started hitting us with fees and such so we bailed as soon as we saw the offer from the CU...
This could get political pretty quick, but this is a direct cost of increased regulation. Basel III won't help either.

I don't envy bankers - managing with both hands cuffed - one by the gov't & regulators, the other by shareholders who sue when ROE suffers.

Quick Reply