Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I lost a hero

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Halbrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default I lost a hero

Jeff Blatnick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Blatnick passed away 10/24/12, and I just learned of it today. I'm at work, and can't keep my eyes dry.

I want to relay my story from the Olympic Wrestling trials in 2010. This is the email I wrote and sent to friends after getting back from watching the trials

"I took my white collared USA wrestling shirt hoping to get autographs. I got Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner’s, Olympic gold medalist Jeff Blatnick’s, Olympic gold medalist Cael Sanderson’s, and 2008 Olympic competitor’s (and I believe will be gold medalist) Ben Askren’s. Rulon and Blatnick both talked to me for a minute and were unbelievably humble and almost shocked I asked for their autographs.

[snip]

Jeff Blatnick was there as part of the 1980 team that didn’t go to the Olympics because of the boycott. The team did an autograph signing that day, but I missed it. At the end of the day We spotted him in crossing the lobby leaving. I said “Mr. Blatnick?” and he stopped and looked at me saying “Yes?” Looking at me like I was a bill collector. I asked for his autograph and he was so appreciative. He had to holler to his family to not leave without him. He signed my shirt and talked with us for a second. He even asked mine and Stacey’s name. I thought that was really cool of him"

I didn't know how much that encounter meant to me until I read of his death today. That memory is as vivid today as it was the day it happened!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sounds like a pretty cool guy!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply