The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I know about the "look" of Blue-Ray but, what of the "sound"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default I know about the "look" of Blue-Ray but, what of the "sound"?

I just pulled the trigger on a blue-ray player. Until now I have been satisfied with a basic DVD with upscaling. I know about the video improvements with Blue-Ray but how does it sound?

My receiver is not HDMI capable and nor does it have on-board processors for the latest audio coding. Namely, DD Plus, DTS MA, and some others, etc...... The player does, however, this means I have to connect via the analogue multi-channel inputs rather than the digital input as the player downconverts to legacy DTS, DD channeling.

I guess my real question is this. Do many of the Blue-Ray disc support these new DD and DTS formats and, are they worth the extra cabling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
bsruther
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My old receiver isn't HDMI but, it sounds good enough for me. I'm not that particular when it comes to the sound though. If you want to watch something really spectacular on Blu-ray, get the "Planet Earth" documentary.
For info on Blu-ray and everything else HD, go here: High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource
The folks on HD forum are more obsessed with watching TV than people here are with making Beer.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

let me just say when you upgrade you will be very impressed and happy. i just use my ps3 and i was impressed and happy. BTW dont waste your time paying for a 7.1 reciver if your buying one and if it costs mnore then a 5.1 unless you have a very large room.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

That is just it!

I already own a "legacy" flagship THX Ultra 9.2 receiver but, to date, there hasn't been softwares or processors capable of 9 discrete channels. And there is my curiousity.

If I go the digial route and use dig coaxial or optical the BR players processors downmix the codec to 5.1 channels and the receivers processor will matrix out the sound to the remaining channels. If I use the analogue multi-channel inputs the players processors can directly and discretely control up to 7.1 channels but, there will be DA conversions

Does it make that big a difference?

And are there that many discs that employ the higher level codecs (DTS-HD, DTS-MA, DD Plus, DD HD)?

As for the A/V forums. No thanks. I am no longer THAT into the technology but, I do like to watch.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just wanted to chime in that I am BluRay equipped as well. (Planet Earth was the first thing I watched and it was awesome! I also loved the BD version of DMB Live in Central Park.)

Don't know about those fancy audio terms you guys are throwing about though. I just connected to my old 5.1 receiver with some nice cables and it si good enough for me. I used to care about audio. A lot! I collected a beautiful H-K and Denon system back in college. Since then it is not such a priority since I don't think my ears are sensitive enough to pick up much difference between $5k and $500 these days. (What with my being a 45 year OLD man.)

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
As for the A/V forums. No thanks. I am no longer THAT into the technology but, I do like to watch.
LOL! That's kind of what I was referring to. You mean you don't want to spend $1K per foot on cable?

Back in my twenties I probably would have been one of those A/V geeks if the forums had existed.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Depending on the audio mixing/video mastering Blu-ray (no e) can be superior in both regards. If you want to take advantage of the increased quality on the cheap end use monoprice.com. Their HDMI cables have been measured to perform bit for bit as well as the very high priced BS marketed at hundreds of dollars per meter.

Since your processor does not work with the newer formats you might be able to get away with analog cables for audio (depending on if your receiver works with such pass through). If this is the case, just pull apart some red/yellow/white analog cables that came with your old dvd/vhs player and they will work fine.

If you didn't know, my primary hobby is audio/video . Primarily construction of high end speakers.

Andrew

Last edited by avaserfi; 04-03-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Gotcha AVASERFI.

I too used to be in the biz. Custom Home Theater here. But, that was well before Blu-Ray was released.

My A/V controller does pass through. In fact, I think it shuts down all other circuitry when the analogue multi-channel source is selected. Just wasn't sure if the added 2 channels were discretely coded in the software or are simply matrixed off the surrounds. If the former then it does make sense to cable discretely but if the latter, we'll then that is no different than how I am already running.

The player I bought is the Pioneer BDP-51FD. Sure, it's last years models but the price is right. That is, HALF of what a comparable current player is running and the features are nearly identical (the newer player offers more direct connect capabilities within manufacturer line).

Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
nibiyabi
Recipes 

The audio upgrade is worth it. I also recommend getting a 2.0 or 2.1 setup as opposed to 7.1 or 9.1 or whatever crazy stuff they're trying to sell you these days. When you drop two grand on a 9.1 setup, you're getting cheap speakers that will probably sound rather tinny and lifeless. You're much better off spending that same amount of money on a 2.0 (which I have) or 2.1 (if you really need earth-shaking bass) system to get the best speakers for your dollar. Oh, and avoid Bose. Overpriced plastic garbage.

Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: Old Greg's Honey Stout (brewed 2009.03.20)
Secondary #1: Old Greg's Apfelwein (modified) (made 2009.03.20)
Secondary #2: Old Greg's Apfelwein (made 2009.03.05)
Keg #1: Old Greg's American IPA (brewed 2009.02.20 // secondaried 2009.02.28 // kegged 2009.03.07 // tapped 2009.03.30)
Keg #2: Old Greg's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter (brewed 2009.03.06 // kegged 2009.03.30)

RIP: Old Greg's Classic Beer Pong Ale (2009.02.27 - 2009.03.06)

Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Yeah. You can easily do that.

I dropped $5k on the receiver nearly 10 years ago and did go with cheap RCA sattelites. There was a time when I considered replacing them with something more blingworthy. Until.

I compared the performance of my $15 RCA bookshelf speakers with a pair of B&W DM605 Series 2's using a Real Time Analyzer and digital signal generator. I found that across equal octaves the bookshelves actually had a flatter response than did the high priced B&W's. To this day I still use the cheap RCA's and wish I could locate some more of them.

Yeah. In another life I used to be THAT into Audio. One of these days I will go back to school to finish my physics degree for Sound Engineering. As for now, being a lowly code monkey pays the mortgage and keeps the babes in diapers.

After reading here, and much internal consideration, I have decided I will go ahead and make the cables for the 7.1 Analogue pass through (Multi-Channel Input). Although I am still uncertain as to how the Pioneer handles the higher order DD and DTS tracks. I know it converts to Linear PCM but don't really remember what that means. I'll assume this is just an analogue facsimilie of the native discrete signal channeling and not just a downmix to a 5.1 matrixed soundfield.
Thanks for the Cit Chat fellas.

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 04-03-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply