Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I heard a story (rumor) today.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
shakey_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Default I heard a story (rumor) today.

Michigan Brewery shut its doors a few months ago. I liked the place and beer, but I just heard that Miller bought up all the equipment and recipes ( maybe even Kid Rocks Bad Ass)..i don't know.

It was pretty shady on MB's part i think.

Anyway, can someone confirm this? My thoughts are this : if Miller bought MB recipes, that would mean that Miller just doesn't want anyone else to have them seeing how I just cant see Miller ever wanting to make any of it.

I got nothin'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Can you explain the shady part?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
shakey_99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
Can you explain the shady part?
Shady as in why Michigan Brewery closed. A lot of debt, not paying bills but making a lot of money. ( rumor) not as in Miller buying the recipes.

I dont know squat about brewing companies, or if this is just common practice. Thats why I'm asking

I got nothin'

Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...any_brand.html

Story from over a month ago confirms that MillerCoors bought their equipment to maybe use in their Tenth and Blake beers (like Blue Moon). Kid Rock's beer was not involved, and they said they didn't know what they were going to do with the rights.

Seems straightforward. Equipment for sale, company buys equipment.

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2128 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Kid Rock owns his beer. He was having MBC contract brew it for him. Also Celis Brands were purchased by the Celis family prior to the auction, so they once again own the brand name.

Miller just wanted the equipment for expanding it's own craft line of beers.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey_99 View Post
Shady as in why Michigan Brewery closed. A lot of debt, not paying bills but making a lot of money. ( rumor) not as in Miller buying the recipes.

I dont know squat about brewing companies, or if this is just common practice. Thats why I'm asking

So you have seen audited financials of Michigan Brewing? Can you post a link to those?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

There was a thread on here earlier I had seen (Something like "Michigan Brewing Sucks!" or something) where several people claiming to be stockholders in the company expressed extreme dissatisfaction with the management. There were never investor meetings and the guy running it was fudging the books and impossible to get ahold of.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
shakey_99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfrontbrewer

So you have seen audited financials of Michigan Brewing? Can you post a link to those?
Re read my post, as I clearly state it as a rumor. Because I have no facts.

I got nothin'

Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's old news, and there's nothing shady about one brewery buying another brewery's stuff (including brand names and recipes) when they fold....It's called business.

The other part of this is the the family of Pierre Celis, the man that brought back Hoegaarden and created Celis white (brewed here as well) now have it back in the family. Family brings Celis brewery back to Austin.

So is it ok for Celis to do it, but not miller because miller/coors is in your mind "the evil empire?"

It is sad that MB closed, but the rest of it is just the way things are. And more than likely we'll see Kid Rocks beer and some of MB's other line showing up in one form or another. Maybe even with A LARGER distribution.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Here's the story on the sale.

Quote:
July 3, 2012 at 1:00 am
Assets of Michigan Brewing Co. sold

By Karl Henkel
The Detroit News
1 Comments

The assets of the former brewer of Kid Rock's Badass Beer have been acquired through auction by MillerCoors.

According to beer-insider website Beer Pulse, the Chicago-based joint venture acquired the equipment and brand trademarks of Michigan Brewing Co. The sale does not include Kid Rock's brand, which was made at the Webberville-based brewery.

"We bought some of the assets of the Michigan Brewing Co. at auction with the primary intention of acquiring their brewery equipment, which is in excellent condition," MillerCoors spokesman Peter Marino told Beer Pulse.

Michigan Brewing Co.'s brands included Michigan Nut Brown Ale, High Seas India Pale Ale and Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale.

MillerCoors said the "rapid expansion" of its own Tenth and Blake Beer Co. brands, a craft-and-import division, could signal an opportunity to capitalize on its newly acquired assets.

"We have decided an asset purchase would provide us with added small-batch flexibility moving forward," the company said.

"We haven't decided what, if anything, we might do with the brands at this point."

MillerCoors did not purchase the 76,000-square-foot Webberville brewing facility, located east of Lansing.

An on-site restaurant drew customers in recent years to Michigan Brewing Co. Its craft beers won medals at the Great American Beer Festival. But founder Bobby Mason was evicted in April following foreclosure on the brewery.

Kid Rock's camp last month said it was looking for a new brewer for Badass Beer, but conceded that could take beyond summer.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz23ctDydij

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply