Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I hate running, but this was awesome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default I hate running, but this was awesome.

To combat my ever shrinking belt epidemic, I've decided to take up running. I hate running. I always have. I recognize the benefits of running (no memberships required, you can do it nearly anywhere, only a small initial investment required), but despite that I have chosen this path. And I find minimal enjoyment in it whatsoever.

Did I mention that I hate running?

But what I do like is the feeling afterward. The feeling of accomplishment and advancement. And today I have discovered another great feeling. I have always loved a good hot shower after a solid sweat, to me there is no cleaner feeling than AFTER a shower in which you were soaking wet when stepping INTO the shower. But today, I had a beer in the shower after my run. Now mind you, I have had beer plenty o' times in the shower before, but not after a run. I got done with my 1.7 miles (dont judge me, I'm new at this), turned on the shower and while it was warming up, poured myself a pint and prepared for the awesomeness to ensue.

And it was righteous, I tell you. RIGHTEOUS!!!

So anyway. In all seriousness, I'd actually like to take this to the next level. I have no intention of running a marathon, but I would like to be able to get to the point of being able to do a 5k without notice. I don't think that is an unreasonable goal. Any tips that anyone can provide? Running schedules? Runners diets? I'm not looking to completely make over my life, just adjustments so that I can continue to drink beer without any more limits than I've already imposed on myself.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

LakewoodHomeBrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Beer after a run is awesome.

If you're not going for distance, I would say running 3 miles 3-4 times a week is a good target. My recommendation for increasing distance would be to alternate running and walking, and then as you build up your fitness you just phase out the walking. Sounds simple, but it works.

Get fitted for appropriate shoes. It helps a lot.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
To combat my ever shrinking belt epidemic, I've decided to take up running.
Wait, you are running to get fat?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
jmendez29

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Wait, you are running to get fat?
No, my belt keeps getting smaller, so I run to stretch it back out.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

I'm not sure even beer would get me to like running. I'm not sure a pack of crazed, starving, wolves would get me to like running.

But I do need to get more exercise, so maybe I should try the beer after a workout at the local gym. We really need to get back to using our paid memberships.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
jmendez29

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
Beer after a run is awesome.

If you're not going for distance, I would say running 3 miles 3-4 times a week is a good target. My recommendation for increasing distance would be to alternate running and walking, and then as you build up your fitness you just phase out the walking. Sounds simple, but it works.

Get fitted for appropriate shoes. It helps a lot.
I work rotating shift work, and I make it a point to run shortly after waking up. Getting up at 4am before day shift schedule is brutal for me so I've been skipping those. But that only equates to 11 days out of every 5 weeks. Otherwise, I've been trying to go two days in a row, then skip a day. For the intervals, do you mean to actually run/walk the full distance goal and just phase out walking while keeping the distance? If so, then that's pretty much how I got this far. And if it really works that well, then I'll keep doing it.

As for shoes, I did that on a recommendation from a friend. I was having some ankle pain from when I worked my way past 1.25 miles. I got fitted and while I really feel much more comfortable, the pain is still there. Not nearly as bad, but it's only been a couple of weeks. I'm confident that it is simply conditioning that my body needs. I haven't run with any consistency since back in the Nav, when I got out in 2001.

Thanks for the input. Keep the tips coming, I really want this to become a regular part of my life.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I go to a gym, do the eliptical thingy or treadmill and some weights. It hasn't really taken weight off, just keeps it from getting on.
But, everyone I know who runs stops when they get into their late 40's and 50's and I've had many tell me their doctors told them running is going to mess up their knees as they get older. So. they all end up joining gyms.

My problem is that I think doing the same thing over and over gets to a point where it doesn't work as well. So, i think it's best to mix things up if you can. Either way, exercise is the best medicine for a majority of people.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
jmendez29

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
I go to a gym, do the eliptical thingy or treadmill and some weights. It hasn't really taken weight off, just keeps it from getting on.
But, everyone I know who runs stops when they get into their late 40's and 50's and I've had many tell me their doctors told them running is going to mess up their knees as they get older. So. they all end up joining gyms.

My problem is that I think doing the same thing over and over gets to a point where it doesn't work as well. So, i think it's best to mix things up if you can. Either way, exercise is the best medicine for a majority of people.
I'm only 38 right now, but about a year and a half ago, I approached my heaviest weight ever in life (245) for the second time. I used chronic knee pain as an excuse to avoid the gym until that point. I started lifting weights and that shed a lot of my excess weight and honestly relieved my knee pain as well. I think it was a combination of the 20 pounds I lost and strengthening the joint.

I now stand at right around 220, but I know I have another easy 10 pounds to lose, with another 15 behind that with a little effort. I intend to eventually get back to lifting as well as running, but I plan on taking that up when the weather turns and my activity level starts to slow down a little.

And while I agree that doing the same thing has its limitations, it is still better than nothing. So I am doing my best to not get discouraged when I see my progress slowing and not use that as an excuse to quit.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
iowabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 19

check out the couch to 5k plan. Google it, it's all over the net. Pretty solid plan. I started with that and just finished my first mini tri this last weekend in 7th place. It was also all done in vibrams(toe shoes). Barefoot or the vibrams have changed my entire outlook on running.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Hello
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1309 Times on 906 Posts
Likes Given: 2065

Couch to 5k is indeed the best recommendation. I am not a runner, not built to run, not going to enjoy it, not even with beer. I walk quite frequently, I may get into a barely light jog, but no running. Even still, couch to 5k, even for someone like me who will probably never run 5k, is a great program. I've used it.

Quick Reply