Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I hate flu shots!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #31
Mobeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They make a nasal spray flu shot. It's available to the military but I don't know about the general public. But it probaly has anthrax or some crazy crap in it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #32
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
That's not even close to true. And what makes you say that there is no sun during monsoon season? That's traditionally when the sun is at its peak for the area.

But people do certainly get colds in the summer. Many do. And while there's the tiniest bit of merit to your claims, it's only in that people with low vitamin D are more susceptible.

But yes, people can and do get colds at any time of the year. It is a virus, and infection with the virus will (usually) result in symptoms. There certainly is such a thing as flu season, and most of it actually is, in a way, because aren't getting much sun. But more accurately, it's because people are staying indoors more - the drier air and the increase in the amount of time that people spend in close proximity together are perfect circumstances for this virus to thrive and spread.

The drop in vitamin D MIGHT make people more susceptible to it, but even then, it's a relatively small effect compared to the above. And just about anyone living at a latitude that has snow for even a month most years should be supplementing anyways. However, good humidifiers and proper sanitation would have a far greater impact. Unfortunately, the former is really only in your control at home (and maybe at work), and with the biggest factor of all - proper sanitary practices - you only have control over yourself, which can be rendered moot by a family member or coworker with more lax standards.
Except that it's very close to true for most people (but not all, I'll admit), and overall the data supports it. Vitamin D is not technically a vitamin, it's a secosteroid hormone that plays a very important role in regulating the innate immune system through the upregulation of antimicrobial peptides. To state that vitamin D has a relatively small effect on immune function is to admit that one really doesn't don't know much about the function of vitamin D in the body, particularly the lungs.

Researchers have known for nearly a century that low vitamin D increases susceptibility to to tuberculosis, and that vitamin D repletion through sunlight or UVB exposure can be clinically helpful for many people with the disease.

Same thing goes for MS, psoriasis and certain types of asthma. Newer data suggests that vitamin D might even play a role in cancer progression, and as we speak, pilot studies are ongoing to determine what impact vitamin D may have on cancer progression.

Your statement that being indoors in dry air has some truth to it, but it doesn't account for the flu season in tropical humid climates where people live outside with no doors or windows yet still get the flu predominantly at the time of the year where there is less sun.

Is vitamin D a cure all for the flu? No, of course not, but neither is the flu shot. Will it help most people to increase their immune function? Absolutely.

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #33
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee
Is vitamin D a cure all for the flu? No, of course not, but neither is the flu shot. Will it help most people to increase their immune function? Absolutely.
Emjay? Is that you?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #34
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee

Except that it's very close to true for most people (but not all, I'll admit), and overall the data supports it. Vitamin D is not technically a vitamin, it's a secosteroid hormone that plays a very important role in regulating the innate immune system through the upregulation of antimicrobial peptides. To state that vitamin D has a relatively small effect on immune function is to admit that one really doesn't don't know much about the function of vitamin D in the body, particularly the lungs.

Researchers have known for nearly a century that low vitamin D increases susceptibility to to tuberculosis, and that vitamin D repletion through sunlight or UVB exposure can be clinically helpful for many people with the disease.

Same thing goes for MS, psoriasis and certain types of asthma. Newer data suggests that vitamin D might even play a role in cancer progression, and as we speak, pilot studies are ongoing to determine what impact vitamin D may have on cancer progression.

Your statement that being indoors in dry air has some truth to it, but it doesn't account for the flu season in tropical humid climates where people live outside with no doors or windows yet still get the flu predominantly at the time of the year where there is less sun.

They're finding out a lot of what they thought about vitamin D has been overstated, but yes, it is important. I was speaking in a relative sense.

Hell, I even stressed the importance of supplementing vitamin D, for just about everyone in the US and Canada. Even spending a lot of time outside doesn't always solve it because the sun has to be at a specific angle, which gives a fairly small window of time for the reaction to occur, and even in the Northern US, there are months a time in the winter where the sun never reaches that angle at all. So I strongly advocate BOTH getting the flu shot, and supplementing with several thousand IU of vitamin D daily (though it'd be best to check your blood levels first). Both practices have very positive effects.

I guess my issue with your "out of the sun" argument was just that it sounded a bit too much like the myth that people get a cold or flu from merely being cold. The only thing I'd have to disagree with - and this is quibbling - is that vitamin D is indeed a vitamin. Functioning as a hormone as well does not preclude that.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #35
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 455 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 543

No shots for me. I dont trust the long term effects or any of the pharmaceutical companies. It's only a matter of time before the Bayer company ships out HIV tainted medicine again. The way I see it, it's a business, their in it for money not our health.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #36
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Interesting. Yes I was reading elsewhere that Bayer and others funded medical research at concentration camps. Not that it's specifically related to this thread but I always think of it when I see their aspirin commercials.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #37
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Every year I was forced by my parents to get a flu shot -- in my high school years -- within a couple days I felt miserable. I don't know what the relationship is but I felt sick 100% of the times I had the shot. In the most recent 13 years, I have only had something worse than a bad cold a handful or two of times. One was mono and one was a sinus infection. Neither are helped by a flu shot. I even worked a few cubicles down from two people who contracted swine flu. I got nothing. I'll take my odds without the shot.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #38
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
No shots for me. I dont trust the long term effects or any of the pharmaceutical companies. It's only a matter of time before the Bayer company ships out HIV tainted medicine again. The way I see it, it's a business, their in it for money not our health.
You are lucky that other people have no such qualms about it, as their immunity protects you indirectly (herd immunity).

But hey, a few more people around you start thinking like you and all of a sudden there is a measles outbreak in Key West. Weird how that happens.

FYI....HIV virus cannot survive more than a few seconds outside the human body.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #39
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
You are lucky that other people have no such qualms about it, as their immunity protects you indirectly (herd immunity).

But hey, a few more people around you start thinking like you and all of a sudden there is a measles outbreak in Key West. Weird how that happens.

FYI....HIV virus cannot survive more than a few seconds outside the human body.

Nothing wrong with questioning a company. These pharm companies are for-profit entities. I am as skeptical toward them as anyone else who is trying to sell me something. Sure, they might make comforting commercials and have doctors pushing their products, but their ultimate goal, like any company, is to make a profit. And no, it's not a conspiracy theory, it's just business.

Enjoy your mercury sandwich if you'd like, but I'd rather risk 3-4 days of being uncomfortable than have one of the most toxic substances known to man injected into my bloodstream.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #40
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1
Enjoy your mercury sandwich if you'd like, but I'd rather risk 3-4 days of being uncomfortable than have one of the most toxic substances known to man injected into my bloodstream.
If you go to an actual doctor and not one of those drive through flu shot clinics you will often times get a single usage flu shot which doesn't contain Thimerosal. Ask if you care.. As far as mercury, eat seafood? I've only had one flu shot in my life and it didn't seem to have an effect and my body didn't really dig it so I don't take them.

I've found that eating well, taking a food derived multi, and trying to maintain a positive mental attitude has kept me well more than any other thing.

Quick Reply