Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I hate flu shots!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3317 Times on 3065 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The thing with the flu is that for many people, it's a pretty bothersome respiratory illness for a week or so, and that's it. Fever, coughing, chills, and that's about all. It's miserable, that's for sure.

But for immune-compromised individuals, the flu is deadly. That's why it's recommended for vulnerable people, including the elderly.

Pneumonia is a frequent complication, and for people with asthma (like me), it can mean a hospital stay.

I've had the flu only once, but I had H1N1 (Swine flu). I thought I was going to die. But I'm pretty healthy (asthma is totally controlled) and recovered just fine. I gained back the weight I lost really quick, as a matter of fact!
She's going to infect us all!

The rest of you shooting gallery needle junkies are spreading nanobot laced spittle all over this thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #22
porcupine73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Yes, the new tracking chips are not detectable by instruments accessible by civilians ... but ... they're in there. haha just kiddding.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #23
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Best way to prevent the flu, hands down, is to take vitamin D supplements year round. Keep your blood level above 40 ng/ml and you will rarely get sick.

I've never had the flu shot in my life, and I've also never had the flu that I'm aware of. Never even had a cold in the last few years.

Ever wonder why we don't get colds or the flu in the summer? Short answer: sunlight. In tropical climates, the flu season is monsoon season (no sun).

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #24
porcupine73
Recipes 

Interesting, and would like to add ... the taste of fermented cod liver oil is amazing. It's like there's 1000 different tastes in there that you perceive one at a time, I love it. I don't know, I used to get sick at least a few times per year. After adopting the secrets of healthy diets in my sig some years back I have not gotten sick even once. At least not perceptibly, there have been some times I felt slightly run down but the feeling was really strange and not like the traditional 'sick' feelings I had. Now yes that is completely 'anecdotal' because I do not know if I would have gotten sick otherwise.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #25
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Well I don't see why you would claim that, when right on the CDC's own website they list as of 2009 the statement "Aluminum is present in several vaccines to improve the immune response."

And "Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose to prevent contamination and growth of potentially harmful bacteria."

Not sure who in this thread mentioned 'pailing the ails of the world' and 'somehow continue to poison children' because that is the first mention of those terms I see in this thread. Interesting.
Yep. It's always interesting to see how people are quick to call others quacks, conspiracy theorists, whackaloons (whatever that means), etc, every time they hear something they either disagree with or don't want to believe.

And geez, I didn't say anything about sick children or world problems. I'm not telling you that if you eat celery and bark at the moon, you'll cure diabetes. I was just saying I didn't want one of the world's most toxic substances--mercury--pumping through my veins. I don't think that's all that outrageous.

But anyway, to the OP, I have had a flu shot years ago and yes, it does suck more than other shots for some reason, so I hear ya.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #26
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3058 Times on 1925 Posts
Likes Given: 2593

I've always been intrigued by the OPV Aids hypothesis. Essentially, polio research in africa in the 50's introduces the AIDs virus to the human population. I read a Rolling Stone article about this a long time ago that stuck with me. I've always distrusted artificial intrusion into my own biology, and more so after that article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPV_AIDS_hypothesis

I have never had a flu shot, and as far as I remember never had the flu. I also don't get colds. I'm sure, though, this has much more to do with my hermit-like lifestyle, rather than some sort of superior antibodies.

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #27
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
The thing with the flu is that for many people, it's a pretty bothersome respiratory illness for a week or so, and that's it. Fever, coughing, chills, and that's about all. It's miserable, that's for sure.
Actually, the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still show signs of it and can be negatively affected by any bouts you may have had even in your youth. This is why the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan.

And FWIW, the vast majority of people who claim to have the flu at any given time actually have a cold (rhinovirus, NOT influenza). It's impossible to distinguish by the symptoms. Which makes anecdotal evidence even more unreliable.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #28
porcupine73
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Actually, the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still been negatively affected by a flu and still show signs. This is why the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan.
Hm, that is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following A -> B?

I'm taking A to be "the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still been negatively affected by a flu and still show signs."

And B to be "the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan."

Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #29
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee
Ever wonder why we don't get colds or the flu in the summer? Short answer: sunlight. In tropical climates, the flu season is monsoon season (no sun).
That's not even close to true. And what makes you say that there is no sun during monsoon season? That's traditionally when the sun is at its peak for the area.

But people do certainly get colds in the summer. Many do. And while there's the tiniest bit of merit to your claims, it's only in that people with low vitamin D are more susceptible.

But yes, people can and do get colds at any time of the year. It is a virus, and infection with the virus will (usually) result in symptoms. There certainly is such a thing as flu season, and most of it actually is, in a way, because aren't getting much sun. But more accurately, it's because people are staying indoors more - the drier air and the increase in the amount of time that people spend in close proximity together are perfect circumstances for this virus to thrive and spread.

The drop in vitamin D MIGHT make people more susceptible to it, but even then, it's a relatively small effect compared to the above. And just about anyone living at a latitude that has snow for even a month most years should be supplementing anyways. However, good humidifiers and proper sanitation would have a far greater impact. Unfortunately, the former is really only in your control at home (and maybe at work), and with the biggest factor of all - proper sanitary practices - you only have control over yourself, which can be rendered moot by a family member or coworker with more lax standards.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73

Hm, that is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following A -> B?

I'm taking A to be "the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still been negatively affected by a flu and still show signs."

And B to be "the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan."
"This is why" may have been a poor choice of words. Both A and B have been demonstrated independently. The connection is that (from what I've seen from several study authors), scientists find "A" to be the best explanation. And they're pretty certain it plays at least a partial role, in any case.

In case you still don't see how they can be connected... the long-term (inflammatory) damage, often accumulated over the course of numerous influenza infections, is seen as affecting the cardiovascular system most significantly over the long term (and I'm sure you can see how this might have an effect on life expectancy). By preventing cases of the flu, the flu shot is directly responsible for preventing this damage. Of course, this is all on an epidemiological scale... to say whether it has helped any *particular* person is impossible, and can only be demonstrated statistically.

Quick Reply