I hate "Fall back"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
So, it's that time of year, the end of DST. I'm an early riser to start with, so with the time shift, I was up and feeding the greys at 3:55 a.m. It's going to take at least a week to get my brain and their stomachs shifted. "Spring forward" isn't a problem.

At least I didn't stay up late at a party. I was going to, even got into my costume, but I started feeling a bit queasy and it turned out I had a fever going. So, I ate a bunch of the brownies I had made, drank two of the Dead Guys and hit the sack.

Note: I did not change the batteries in my smoke detectors. With three detectors in a 15 foot-long hall, I figure even if one runs down and starts honking, the other two will still be good.

Last year sucked because I was at work and had to stay at that hellhole for 9 hours instead of 8. This year was better because I was drunk at a party when the time change came about :D

Working a night shift (which already bites) over the time change is a real pain. Did it many times in the Navy. I would have preferred going to the party, even though I have to restrict my drinking because of the 60 mile drive home.

The time changes have been proven very detromental to people's health based off of the circadian rhythm alone. Don't understand why the hell they still do this despite the evidence.

Right now my internal clock is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy off...thanks alot.

I went to the LHBS this morning to pick up a couple of things. They're open on Sundays from 12-4.

Well, I forgot to change the clock in the car and when I got there at 12:35 and they were all closed up, I was pissed! Then I looked at my phone, Doh!!

Went and got a couple of burgers to kill the time, but not before i saw 3 more guys come up and do the same thing! :cross:

Yep, I agree it sucks. I, too, was up before 4 and now it's only 6:24, it's dark out and my body is sayin' hit the rack but it's just too damn early for that. Oh well, i'll drink another pint of HP and see how I feel in an hour....

I woke up at my normal time for work, laid back down and eventually fell asleep again. Then I overslept. Just can't win!

I feel like things are normal again now, after all those months of living one hour off from reality. :)

I'm from Saskatchewan, which a lot of people would say doesn't have much going for it, but one thing you can't argue with: they don't change the time all year long.

The only thing that sucks is trying to figure out what time shows are coming on, because they're all broadcast from other time zones...

I was in Malta on my honeymoon and realized that the time had changed on the night of our return flight. It meant an even longer day at the airport because we weren't sure when the time change was kicking in, and we had an early, early morning flight...

I like my sleep, so falling back is all good for me. I wish we could do it more often. Forget springing forward, lets just fall back twice a month and we'll be back where we started by this time next year. :D

I hate losing the hour after work. I'll be leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark now. No working outside after work for the next four months.

DST really is a waste. Indiana used to be split between two time zones, some counties did DST, some didn't. They switched to one zone and all DST a few years back. Some people analyzed electrical power usage and determined that DST was costing an extra 2% usage. They decided that DST probably cut power consumption before most people had A/C, but not any more.

And then there's the spike in traffic accidents in the Spring.

It's not a huge deal for me, although it's a small bother to have to adjust clocks, being in IT.

Last night kind of sucked because it felt like bedtime and when I checked the clock, it was like 6:00. When it gets dark, I feel like I'm done with my stuff and ready to go to bed.

At least I didn't stay up late at a party. I was going to, even got into my costume, but I started feeling a bit queasy and it turned out I had a fever going. So, I ate a bunch of the brownies I had made, drank two of the Dead Guys and hit the sack.

David, I gotta tell you that you are my hero! You're feeling sick, and coming down with a fever. So, eat brownies, drink two Dead Guys, and go to bed! That is so much better than "feed a cold, starve a fever".

It does suck that it was dark at 4:45 PM last night. I'm not a morning person at all, but I want to go to bed when it gets dark. My body hates only having 9 hours of daylight!

Meh. I don't care whether time stays on DST or normal time but I wish it'd stay the same. While I'm ok with leaving for school an hour later during the cold snap, readjusting to leaving earlier in the spring really bites - especially because it seems there's always a midterm that week. The time shift also means that I'll be riding my motorcycle home in the "really dark" on the late evenings. Not a good thing when it's rainy and people are stupid. Current class schedule means that I'm at school from 9 to 8 many days. Getting sick of coming home in the dark.

I also get to walk home from (teaching) class when it's dark out thanks to DST, and I'm up late anyway, so I sleep past the extra hour of daylight. I say make the morning people drive to work in the dark, as I'd much rather have an hour more of afternoon/evening light.

Coming from Phoenix where it's over 100 degress most of the year, I welcome the dark/cold as graciously as I can.

I'm so damn sick of the sun I'm thinking of taking a seasonal job in Alaska to enjoy a month or so of straight darkness.

I'm not an early riser do I like it since I'm getting up earlier now. Bad break for kiddo and Mom though.

One of the things I was not prepared for when I moved here, was three months of sunshine (14-16 hours a day) and no rain, every summer. I knew it, but the reality is mind-numbing. This after 2 years in Tucson, 11 in the LA basin and 4 in Las Vegas. Also, 16 months in the West Indies. I never understood why suicides spike in the summer up here, now I do.

I like my sleep, so falling back is all good for me. I wish we could do it more often. Forget springing forward, lets just fall back twice a month and we'll be back where we started by this time next year. :D

You know, if we just fell back an hour every other month, we wouldn't need those damn leap years any more....

I woke up Monday morning an hour before the alarm. Got up and cleaned both bathrooms before showering and going to work.:drunk:

Jake, my dog, always wonders why he gets fed/walked/etc. an hour late.

Did not change batteries in SDs either...but I darn sure dumped a cup of bleach into the A/C condensation drain line. SOP here in humid Florida.

Yep, stupid farmers :D (just kidding) I was up at 4AM (new time) on Sunday and could not fall back to sleep.

Got up and my dog obviously didn't know we changed the clocks either because she was letting me know when 7Am (old time) arrived and it was time to eat, even though it was now 6AM (new time) She didn't like the extra hour wait :cross:

The benefit of all this was that I kegged and bottled a 8 pack of beer overage in the extra time.

Only bothers me that 2x a year one of us has to be here to change to times on all the equipment and test it. Not my idea of a Saturday night. That and I have to change all the clocks at home.

And if we eliminate clocks all together then we wouldn't get any gruff for drinking before noon! :mug:

Thats why I base my drinking on McDonalds time, when they start serving lunch its A-OK to have a beer!
Living in Phoenix we dont observe DST, so I dont need to bother changing clocks, but it does mess with cross country business calls.

I do have an atomic clock/weather station thing that doesnt have an option to turn off DST, so I have to switch the timezones twice per year to keep the time correct, I need to get a better weatherststion because thats too much work to change one clock!

Working a night shift (which already bites) over the time change is a real pain. Did it many times in the Navy. I would have preferred going to the party, even though I have to restrict my drinking because of the 60 mile drive home.

This DST reminded me of when I was in the navy and we were crossing time zones every day. When we were heading east, towards Europe, they use to move the clocks ahead at night so you lost an hour of sleep. When we were heading east, towards the states, instead of moving the clocks back at night and giving everyone an extra hour of sleep they use to do it at like 1000 or 1400 so you had an extra hour of work! Man those bastards had some nerve.

Back