Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I could use some advice on my resume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default I could use some advice on my resume

So I don't think I need to get too far into this unless you guys are REALLY bored...

Due to only recently getting a computer I have no copy of my resume and I need to remake it (that is the easy part). Anywho... the MAIN reason I am leaving my job is due to a very abusive work environment regarding my boss. I have gotten to the point where it is very hard for me not to "kick up dust" on daily basis and if I do not leave soon I will have to put "FIRED" as my reason for leaving this job. That doesn't sound as good to me as voluntarily leaving...

ONTO THE QUESTION: What would be an acceptable way to phrase my reason for leaving this job? I do not want anyone looking at resume to not call me for an interview because they think I am a candy a$$ or difficult to work with, this is not the case and pretty much very opposite of who I am and how I conduct myself. Unfortunately, many people who are insecure with themselves mistake kindness for weakness and if you keep stuffing it down they just grow more and more intolerable which after 3 years has become the case.

SECOND PART TO MY QUESTION (preferably answered by an employer): When asked during an interview about why I left this job, what should I NOT say?

This was a lot longer of a post than I thought it would be but thank you very much to anyone who got through it and can assist me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
SECOND PART TO MY QUESTION (preferably answered by an employer): When asked during an interview about why I left this job, what should I NOT say?
Do not tell an interviewer that you're leaving your current job because you do not get along with your boss or you have personality conflicts with the management. Seriously.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

H,
First off, I would recommend looking for a new job while you deal with the pain that is your current job. Suck it up, play nice, collect your check and search for a new job. It would be silly to leave money on the table in these times.

As to what to say during an interview, I would try to redirect the "why are you leaving" questions to be more focused on what you are would look forward to in the role you are discussing rather than what sucked at your current job?

Something like "I have appreciated the opportunities XYZ Company provided me, but I really am looking for a more positive work environment. From what you have said and what I have seen online, your company really seems like a place to work".

As someone who has interviewed and hired a bunch of people, do NOT go too deep into what sucks about your current role... Honestly, the only reason we ask the question is to see how bitter you may be and how unable to tolerate annoying things you might be. I think there are very few jobs that don't have these annoyances and that is why we probe. Stay positive, focus on how excited you are in the opportunity you are interviewing for and try not to talk bad about anyone or anything.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Good advice above, +1. Venting is a HUGE turnoff to an interviewer. They don't give a rip about your bad boss...they want to know what you bring them.

Save the venting for us here at HBT; we're happy to listen

Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 2738

EDIT.. man you guys are fast!

Both questions same answer. Although you enjoy your current job and the people you work with, there is little opportunity for advancement.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
OfficerMitchel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Unless you've already quit before submitting the resume, I wouldn't mention it at all. And maybe not even then, depending on how long between the two. When it comes up at the interview (and it will), depending on the type of position you're applying for, you could say it was a lack of promotion opportunity or be honest and tell them it was a "non-productive" work environment.

Whatever you do don't tell them your previous boss was an a**hat (although my mother DID land a job once that way). Don't single out any one person to "put the blame" on. The hostility is mutual, and they will know it.

Also, try not to use such platitudes as "new horizons", "personal growth", or "varied experience". Be forthright while trying to demonstrate how you can be an asset to them.

And lastly, don't volunteer information. Answer questions truthfully and fully, but don't spend their time telling them things they don't need (or want) to hear. (This lost me more than one job)

Whatever is, is right...Alexander Pope

Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tell them you got caught in bed with the boss's wife. He lost it, beat you both up, got jailed and fired. Then tell them it feels a little awkward around work lately. Tell them you dont get it. It wasn't you who was doing the cheating.

This works for both a male and female potential employer. But if its female, be sure to give her a little eyebrow lift and smile after.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3399 Times on 3132 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Look for things in the new company you think you will like. You know, the reasons why you want to work there aside from your present job sucking. Don't answer the question as 'why are you leaving the old company', answer it as 'why you are coming aboard to the new company'.

The less you can say about your feelings for the old company the better. You can talk about how you liked the work without mentioning the relations.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
EDIT.. man you guys are fast!

Both questions same answer. Although you enjoy your current job and the people you work with, there is little opportunity for advancement.
This response actually turns me off when I am interviewing someone. While I know it is not a universal truth, I feel that it is up to the me to progress my own career not my boss. It is not my job to completely lay out a yellow brick road to promotions. You have to earn it.

Now I am venting! Just my two cents.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't put anything at all about a reason for leaving. In fact, there really is no reason to put a reason for leaving any job on a resume unless it is to explain something else that could be construed as negative, such as a long gap in employment history or a short time in a job. Only discuss your accomplishments in a given position. Your resume should highlight only your strengths and make you look as good as possible to a prospective employer. The sole purpose of a resume is to get you an interview. If you do get an interview, your reason for leaving may come up. At which point you can say something like, "The organization has gone through a series of changes recently, and although have adapted to the change, I feel that the direction the company is going isn't a good fit for me anymore." And have a couple of simple examples highlighting some things that have changed (e.g. role has changed in a was that doesn't allow you to fully utilize your skills or the company structure has changed and your role has become unclear or whatever). I assume something has changed to make the situation particularly insufferable. Even if it hasn't, it's a plausible, but somewhat vague excuse. Whatever you do just don't straight out bad mouth your boss or your current company, unless the guy interviewing you really wants to know and won't let it go. Then just tactfully say that you and your boss no longer see eye to eye on the direction your team should be going.

Quick Reply