The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I am a Marketing God.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 02:35 AM   #21
sudsmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Life's too short to drink bad beer!

Sorry, I don't agree with you. When I have people over it's not to serve Bud or Miller. I don't buy either of them. They are brought to my house because some people have no taste buds and refuse to be educated to the finer points of beer. My brother-in-law only drinks PBR.

My point is...IF I did have you guys over you'd be free to drink all the HB your heart desired.....

PS. I don't drink Vodka either.
Bill,
I'll always have a soft spot for PBR. It was the first beer I ever drank. I think I was five or so. Grandma and Grandpa Monkey believed in starting us early. I'm afraid I started too late to be a really good beer drinker, but I enjoy trying. I have to agree with the point somebody made earlier about not pouring homebrew down the throats of people who are accustomed to Mega Lite. Hell, one of my horses loves beer, and I love him, but I'd rather feed him Miller than my own brew. Point is, he can't appreciate the difference, neither can 80 % of beer drinkers. We are a select few ( be proud) . If it wasn't for Mega Lite and the other big guys, our neighbors would be at our houses bumming beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 03:37 AM   #22
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

I decided to brew to carry on a proud family tradition. My grandparents were bootleggers during prohibition. My grandma tells me about when they used to make beer and sell it for a nickle a bottle, and that was when buying CaraPils, Wyeast #XXXXX and Fuggles was about impossible. They made the beer that their neighbors drank and had to worry about Al Capone's men who lived across the street.

People will drink anything they can in the absense of choice, simply because they like the feeling alcohol provides. If you were on a desert island, you'd crack a coconut and boil whatever plants you could find and hope that there was yeast in the air. It would taste like crap, but if you pulled a Castaway, you'd miss it when you got back. I speak from personal experience on this one.

Miller and Bud became dominant because they tasted better than the competition that was able to survive prohibition. The market place had completely reset itself, and everyone had the opportunity. Two survived the ages.

Now we enjoy the opportunity to try making new flavors.WhenI see a beer on the shelf, it has to have a label, name and description that intrigues me. At first, I tried every microbrew I could find, but I had too many disgusting beers to continue that for long. Now I consider myself to be my target market and I make things that intrigue me.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:16 AM   #23
Wayne Havens
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Miller and Bud became dominant because they tasted better than the competition that was able to survive prohibition. The market place had completely reset itself, and everyone had the opportunity. Two survived the ages.
I disagree, miller and bud became dominant because of marketing, not because they tasted better than the others. During prohibition many breweries in the US went out of business while A/B shifted focus and manufactured other things. Marketing made them big not the taste of the beer. Same goes for McDondalds and BK. I don't eat at those places, because the food sucks (My opinion). But millions stuff those nasty burgers down their throats because they cost 99 cents. It is no small coincidence that Bud has has the largest and most successfull marketing campainn in history. They need it to sell a mediocre product. Think about it, the best restaurants in town usually do not advertise as well as the franchises, but are kept busy through word of mouth.

Wayne Havens
www.waynehavens.com
Drinking-Allagash Belgian Tripple, Victory's Golden Monkey, Sierra Nevada Porter

Old 08-05-2005, 04:29 AM   #24
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Zing...Havens KO's Cheesefood in the 23rd round...by using Cheesefood's own argument against him.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 08-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #25
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Havens
I disagree, miller and bud became dominant because of marketing, not because they tasted better than the others. During prohibition many breweries in the US went out of business while A/B shifted focus and manufactured other things. Marketing made them big not the taste of the beer. Same goes for McDondalds and BK. I don't eat at those places, because the food sucks (My opinion). But millions stuff those nasty burgers down their throats because they cost 99 cents. It is no small coincidence that Bud has has the largest and most successfull marketing campainn in history. They need it to sell a mediocre product. Think about it, the best restaurants in town usually do not advertise as well as the franchises, but are kept busy through word of mouth.
Technically, Miller and A/B survived because they were the only two who had the financial backing to survive Prohibition and hold out until it was replealed. In the mean-time, most brewery owners had sold their equiptment and closed up shop. A-B survived by making soda and near-bear. IBC (the fantastic Root-Beer people) started brewing root beer and was never able to regain market share with beer at the end of prohibition.

When prohibition ended and breweires were allowed to start up again, there were actually dozens of breweries. Most of them failed for two reasons: inability to mass-produce and the decrease of the popularity of pubs and bars. People were no longer going out to drink, they had become accustomed to drinking at home. Most breweries who were not producing beverages during prohibition did not have the relationships with stores and other retail outlets to get their product sold. Add to it that right around the end of prohibition came the advent of T.V., and it's clear that people wanted to sit around at home.

So Budweiser and Miller, with their financial strength, intelligent leadership and abundance of resources, were able to capture the market by producing enough beer to keep everyone's throat wet. Sure, there were plenty of beers around then that ketp with the law of being a max of 3.2%abv, but realize that many of them probably tasted WORSE than Bud and Miller.

If you know about A-B, they're an amazing company. They are the world leaders in recycling and own the resources to make every aspect of their product, from the grains, hops and yeast to the water purification to the bottle and can making operations, the label printing and the transportation.

Now, I'm not saying that Miller and Bud are my favorites, but I'll admit to loving a cold MGD on a hot day. Besides, since I can't brew lager in the summer, I sometimes need the golden, light taste and feel of a macrobrew.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #26
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewing up a Biz.

Sam's book about opening DFH includes some text on this. He claims that AB has a 50.01% market share on domestic beer sales, or for every two beers sold domestically, one is an AB product. He argues that it is the strong marketing by AB that convinces the consumer that they want the cold. crips, watery beer. The consumer responds to the ubiquitous advertising and a decent portion of this income goes back into marketing/creating demand. I really recommend this book (as I'm sure others here have.)

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #27
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what's the book's full title?

Old 08-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #28
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewing Up a Business: Adventures in Entrepreneurship from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #29
Cheesefood
Recipes 

I did a paper on A-B's new energy-brew for my marketing class. It's a truly horrible product, but I was interested in seeing what had convinced them that this would market well.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:44 AM   #30
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Has this brew been successful? I never heard of it...or did I just answer my question? ha!

Quick Reply